Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
ennova
ennova began at the beginning.

Device: none
For a student with a lot of text books...

Hello,

Here I am between classes with a backpack which seems to weigh more than I do and is really giving me some back problems. I am thinking to myself of how I can solve this dilemma when the thought of a ebook reader came to mind. Forgive me for I haven't had the chance to properly read through these forums and look at different threads, I was just using google to help me find a forum that hopefully was like www.notebookreview.com and I'm happy to have found this one. So here is my situation:

I have a lot of text books and I am required to bring them to class. I was thinking that if I could find a way to get my text books into a PDF or ebook form I could simply bring the book reader to class instead of all these heavy books. I've personally used an ebook before on a laptop and it was not the way to go for me as the screen was giving me headaches and I found it very awkward to read. I also found that having a "digital book" was a poor substitute for MY study habits as I like to do a lot of marking of pages, highlighting and I just like the feel of a "book" when I am at home. However when I am out and about I think I would greatly benefit to having the ebook reader with me for reading and class purposes. So I'm looking for a reader that would be great for textbooks pertaining to Math, Physics, Engineering and Economics which means I probably need one with a larger screen size. Right now I am looking at the Kindle, or maybe the IPad even though the IPad isn't really a ebook reader it seems like a neat device. I thought I would ask here for your opinions and advice.

Also is there a good way to scan my text books into a PDF or any other ebook format to use? I don't want to undo the binding on the books and destroy them as I use them when I study at home and probably will be selling them back to the university as I spend WAY too much money on books this semester.... $500 and that is with half of the books being used. Anyways thanks for your time and any advice you have,
ennova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Franky
Nameless Being

I've bought myself a plustec optibook 3600 plus. That's a special bookscanner. I scanned a lot of my books and I'm happy with the results. It's worth the money, even if it takes some time to scan a book.

I read the pdf's with a IREX DR800sg and with my eDGe. Both can take annotatios.

Last edited by Franky; 08-24-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Advert