Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
illuminated books

A side-effect of my discovery of ebooks was - paradoxically - that I found some e-texts were more beautiful when printed on paper. This led me to another discovery - bookbinding, much easier than I thought (I was able to hold and read even the 1st book I made without it crumbling to pieces...).
Now I read 9 books out of 10 on my Reader, but once in a while I find something that I really want to see on paper, made by myself. I tell you, holding in your hands a book you created is something glorious...

But I didnt stop there. Since I was doing the printing and the binding, why not to "enhance" the text? So I turned into an editor, and I'm currently exploring different projects to create <illuminated> books. The one I'm working on currently is by Verne, Jules: An Antarctic Mystery, enhanced with steampunk illustrations.
Now for your help: which book you think could benefit most by the addition of illustrations, maps, graphics and so on? Not only literature: I work in Physics, and since some time I'm thinking about the original Einstein's articles on special relativity, together with illustrations from his handwritten papers, drawings etc

thanks for your help!

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxxm View Post
A side-effect of my discovery of ebooks was - paradoxically - that I found some e-texts were more beautiful when printed on paper. This led me to another discovery - bookbinding, much easier than I thought (I was able to hold and read even the 1st book I made without it crumbling to pieces...).
Now I read 9 books out of 10 on my Reader, but once in a while I find something that I really want to see on paper, made by myself. I tell you, holding in your hands a book you created is something glorious...

But I didnt stop there. Since I was doing the printing and the binding, why not to "enhance" the text? So I turned into an editor, and I'm currently exploring different projects to create <illuminated> books. The one I'm working on currently is by Verne, Jules: An Antarctic Mystery, enhanced with steampunk illustrations.
Now for your help: which book you think could benefit most by the addition of illustrations, maps, graphics and so on? Not only literature: I work in Physics, and since some time I'm thinking about the original Einstein's articles on special relativity, together with illustrations from his handwritten papers, drawings etc

thanks for your help!

alessandro
Wow! That would be so cool! be sure to announce how to get one of them if you ever do it.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Let me know when you get Einstein's theory completed.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Alex, are you familiar with http://www.abdn.ac.uk/bestiary/index.hti

It's some beautiful images of illuminated manuscripts. Enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Alex, are you familiar with http://www.abdn.ac.uk/bestiary/index.hti

It's some beautiful images of illuminated manuscripts. Enjoy!
thank you, I did not know it and found it fascinating...
(a favorite book of mine in the past was "Manual de zoologia fantastica" by Borges)

To tell the truth, I used the word "illuminated" in a somewhat extended way. I was not thinking about medieval illuminated manuscripts, rather a contemporary extension of the meaning: how a book could gain by adding to its text figures, maps, photographs (I print in B&W), original drawings ... ? It's some kind of Book Art project!

And I'd like to hear about your suggestions, to find new ideas...

alessandro
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert