Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Decided to buy Sony 505

I have decided to by a Sony. I have been using my Palm Z22 up until now. I have a lot of .pdb books. Will I be able to read them on my Sony?

I have a feeling that when I get my new Sony I may be totally confused for a while...it all sounds rather complicated...but I am sure it will be fathomed out after a while.

Thank you for all of the wonderful information available here. It has certainly been a blessing and I am sure it will continue to be one.
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are several ebook formats stored in .pdb files, see the Wiki. Use a text editor to find the actual type of your files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I think you'll find your new Sony easy to use. I barely even glanced at the directions, and I've been doing fine.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
Before I got my 505 earlier this week I have been using several PocketPCs for years. I find the Sony really easy to use. The new software and tools to organize and convert your ebooks may be a different matter, depending on what you plan to do.
I have to confess that I never even bothered to install the Sony software. I mainly use Calibre at this time.
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Thank you all for your help. I will be doing a lot of reading on Wiki. I am especially checking out Calibre. I really hate to not be able to use the books currently in my library.
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Novasea. I got a Sony back in January and like it a lot. I expect you will too.

In fact, the worst part about getting it was having to wait till it charged. Anyway, be sure and let us know how you do like it once you get your hands on it.

Last edited by MickeyC; 08-17-2008 at 07:58 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
I think you'll find your new Sony easy to use. I barely even glanced at the directions, and I've been doing fine.
Directions? DIRECTIONS? We don't need no steenkin' directions!

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Congrats on the purchase, I hope you enjoy your Reader as much as we do!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
crsheilah
Connoisseur
crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Velocity Cruz T103
I just bought the Sony 505 too. I live in Costa Rica and have wanted a Kindle since they first came out. I decided why pay for features I won't be able to use here in CR and went with the Sony instead. I'm going to have to check out Calibre cause I have no idea what that's about! I won't have my ereader until mid April since my neighbor will be bringing it here after her visit to the States. Can't wait !!! Sheilah
crsheilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Im nowhere near an expert that some of the other members are but I think you should be able to convert the pdb to something sony friendly...

Oh - and welcome to the club. In my experience, Sony systems are like a bad drug,

I started out with the 505, now I have a ps3, a 700, and a vaio P.

I blame Sony for my addiction and will be suing them for a chance at rehab soon :-)

Last edited by jaxx6166; 03-20-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Actually it's THREE 505's...god help me =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsheilah View Post
I just bought the Sony 505 too. I live in Costa Rica and have wanted a Kindle since they first came out. I decided why pay for features I won't be able to use here in CR and went with the Sony instead. I'm going to have to check out Calibre cause I have no idea what that's about! I won't have my ereader until mid April since my neighbor will be bringing it here after her visit to the States. Can't wait !!! Sheilah
Hi Sheilah and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a 505 for over a year now and like it a lot. Be sure and let us know when you get yours and how you like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I would love to have an ereader, especially the Sony or Kindle, but each has a major flaw that ruins it for me. The Kindle text to background contrast is too low so it feels like I am reading a wet newspaper, so I sent it back. Just could never get comfortable reading on it. Sony has nice contrast but I have to read it on the highest font size to be comfortable, and I am not buying a reader that day-one I have to have it on the largest font. Doesn't leave me room to go higher should my eye sight warrant needing it.

If Kindle had a lighter background or the Sony had a fourth font, I would be in the group. As it stands now I am stuck waiting for the next round of readers. Dang it. I soooooooooooo want one of these.

I envy you all.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
In fact, the worst part about getting it was having to wait till it charged. Anyway, be sure and let us know how you do like it once you get your hands on it.
I think that was the *best* part about my husband buying me this surprise gift of a 505. He had it charged and ready to go for me when he gave it to me. He had also already registered, downloaded and got me a bundle of books to read. Now that's love.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Yes it indeed is.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
With luck I'll be finally getting my 505 tomorrow night: I already have a PSP charger waiting for it so while I may be tethered I'll still be able to read on it almost immediately. The four hour USB charge wait would likely kill me.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote