Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 04:44 AM   #1726
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Just updated my Kobo touch Mk3 Orginal with the latest firmware kobo-update-4.3.8842 from wiki but now my kobo is stuck at ereader logo with 4 black blocks and one white one :-( looks like kobo-update-4.3.8842 firmware will soft brick our devices.

factory resetting and then applying update works....but now I can't connect to my network yet last one worked fine!

rolled back to previous and wifi works but then updated to this and wifi fails to connect...sees the network etc just constantly says unable to join "the networks name"!!!

Last edited by lohtse; 02-23-2017 at 05:03 AM.
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #1727
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Firmwares 4.2.xxx and 4.3.xxx bring a lot of regressions... I think many people are going to come back or stay in 3.19.5761 ...
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #1728
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Firmwares 4.2.xxx and 4.3.xxx bring a lot of regressions... I think many people are going to come back or stay in 3.19.5761 ...
What regressions? As someone who pays a lot of attention to the firmware, I don't see any regressions in the recent firmware. And I can name several improvements.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #1729
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Hi davidfor,

I'm not angry , excuse me it's not what I wanted to mean ! I just want to say that when I see the problems met by a part of the users contrary to the all the other FW found here for 4 years, I think 4.2.x and 4.3.x are not the best...

Indeed between the 4.2.x and 4.3.x we have :
- empty block on first screen
- network connexion doesn't work
- large windows on the second windows of the dictionnary
- the screen refresh does not respect the setting
- sometimes the device turns to sleep mode when we turn pages too quickly
- the light reaches its maximum power in 3 steps and not immediately
- etc

Well, these bugs are not very important but usually we don't see so much bugs... and especially users are forced to reset their device and restore their backups... and it's the reasons why I think these FW 4.x are not the best BUT I respect all the work done by devellopers in order to improve our devices and I want to highlight the fact that they don't forget the OLD devices like mini, touch or glo...

Thanks a lot to them for that !!! and I know that it's very easy to criticize when we do nothing (and it's my case here).

Last edited by akorx; 02-23-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #1730
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi davidfor,

I'm not angry , excuse me it's not what I wanted to mean ! I just want to say that when I see the problems met by a part of the users contrary to the all the other FW found here for 4 years, I think 4.2.x and 4.3.x are not the best...
I wasn't accusing you of being angry or anything. You said there were "regressions" in the firmware. That can mean a few things. Some function has regressed to a previous state or a fix for a bug has been lost and the bug reappears. And in software development terms, "regression testing" is testing that changes made in a version hasn't broken anything that wasn't supposed to be changed. I can't think of anything in the recent firmware that I would call a regression.

But, you listed some things.
Quote:
Indeed between the 4.2.x and 4.3.x we have :
- empty block on first screen
By "first screen", I assume you mean the home screen, and "block" you mean "tile". I've never seen an empty tile on it. Except maybe some when the database is corrupt and the references in the database is broken.
Quote:
- network connexion doesn't work
The network connection on my Glo fails frequently. That has been going on for a long time and hasn't change for a lot of firmware versions. So I think it is a hardware issue. None of the other devices have any real problems. Sometime they don't connect, but, tapping sync again and it does. That makes it hard to know if is a problem on the device or elsewhere in the network. Again, hasn't changed in any of the firmware versions for me.
Quote:
Sorry, no idea what you mean here.
Quote:
- the screen refresh does not respect the setting
When? I have sat there and counted the page count between screen refreshes. It has never been wrong. There are other ways to trigger the refresh, and that restarts the count.
Quote:
- sometimes the device turns to sleep mode when we turn pages too quickly
I've never heard of this or seen it. If it is happening, it is a new bug, not a regression (yes, me being nitpicky). Can you point to the discussion on this?
Quote:
- the light reaches its maximum power in 3 steps and not immediately
I haven't seen this either. But, I'm not sure about the "3 steps", so I'm not sure what it is and when it happens. The light on my Glo no longer works, but the light on my Aura H2O and Glo HD can be controlled to any level without any issue.

None of that is to say there aren't problems. Or that these aren't things you have seen. But, most of them I haven't seen or heard reported. I can't call any of them regressions until I see some more details of what's happening and when they turned up.
Advert
Old 02-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #1731
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm guessing that what's meant here is if you look up a word and then look up a word in the dictionary window, you get a full screen window from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:22 AM   #1732
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I have an "is it me, or are others seeing this?" question about the 4.2 firmware on the Aura H2O:

Originally and through the 3.x firmware, turning on the Aura has been a matter of "hold the power button for a second or so, until the little light comes on and you know it's POSTing." Not a surprise, not a problem. Right after installing 4.2, the button seems to be more finicky about registering that initial press. It still goes to sleep just fine, but power-up takes noticeably more deliberate effort.

Now, I've had my device for a little while, so I suppose it could be normal wear - but the timing coincidence does make me wonder. I'll most likely install 4.3 later today, so hopefully if it's a firmware bug it's one that 4.3 fixes, but I would like to hear back if anyone else has seen this phenomenon.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:56 AM   #1733
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
It still goes to sleep just fine, but power-up takes noticeably more deliberate effort.
The moment it displays the "Power Off" screen is not the moment it actually powers off... you have to wait for that to happen and only afterwards you can power it back on. So if your goal is to force a reboot by powering off and on again you might have this situation that the power button does not register the moment the "Power Off" screen appears... but only a few seconds later
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #1734
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The moment it displays the "Power Off" screen is not the moment it actually powers off... you have to wait for that to happen and only afterwards you can power it back on. So if your goal is to force a reboot by powering off and on again you might have this situation that the power button does not register the moment the "Power Off" screen appears... but only a few seconds later
Not applicable; I'm talking about a situation where the reader's been powered off for several hours and I want to start reading. Sleep/wake taps are working just fine, but that initial power-on seems to be a bit trickier than it used to be.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #1735
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Okay, in that case... I don't notice any problems getting my H2O to power on. Seems to work like it always did for me
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #1736
akorx
Addict

Hi davifor,

Here is an example of the refresh problem (every 3 pages) however the setting is to the maximum (we can see "oh the humanity" at the end) :

https://youtu.be/rn3Ew40mvSw

PS : it's the same problem without the nightmode plugin... I've taken the nightmode for the video because it's better to see the problem.

Last edited by akorx; 02-25-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #1737
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi davifor,

Here is an example of the refresh problem (every 3 pages) however the setting is to the maximum (we can see "oh the humanity" at the end) :

https://youtu.be/rn3Ew40mvSw

PS : it's the same problem without the nightmode plugin... I've taken the nightmode for the video because it's better to see the problem.
The version of the nightmode hack I've tested has the refresh mode defined in it's ini file. While you are running that, that's the setting that will be used. I don't know what is used when you turn it off but still have it running, but based on your report, I have to assume it is using the value from the nightmode.ini.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #1738
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I don't know if this is related, but there was a similar problem reported with one of the firmware patches that changed the values in the refresh pages menu in a way that skipped some values, it refreshed every three pages regardless of the value selected.

There is still a version of the patch that works, but every value from 1 to the highest you want to select has to be in the menu. I.e. if you want to set it to refrest every 50 pages then you need to patch so that all the values 1 through 50 are in the menu.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:33 AM   #1739
akorx
Addict

Hi davidor and geoffr,

First thanks for your 2 answers... I've made a mistake, I thought the refresh problem came with and without nightmode but it's not the case : it's only when we use nightmode is used.

I have followed the davidfor's suggestion and watch the file parameter that is this one ".kobo\nightmode.ini", and yes we have the setting :

[nightmode]
refreshScreenPages = 3 #force refresh every X pages

I have tried to change it to "refreshScreenPages = 99" and reboot, and now all is ok !

PS : it could be a good idea to integrate some "basic" functions like nightmode plugin directly in FWs but it's only my opinion. After, I know that basic function are not the same for all people...

Last edited by akorx; 02-26-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #1740
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
First thanks for your answer... I've made a mistake, I thought the refresh problem came with and without nightmode but it's not the case : it's only when we use nightmode is used.

I will try to find where is the parameter.

PS : it could be a good idea to integrate the nightmode plugin in fw because I think that for a lot of people it's based function.
The new firmware does have it. You turn it on via an option in the config file.