Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Talking My iPad 3 just arrived!

9:55 am CET (Germany).
Just unboxing it...

Sorry for the glare of the pics. I didn't have the patience to find a better spot for taking the photos...

So far: Why didn't those fools add any Hi-Res pictures?
I want to see the Retina-quality...
For now, I don't see any difference to, let's say, Samsung Galaxy Note.

I've downloaded a Hi-Res (1920 x 1440) pic from "Ice Age". Hard to tell in a photo, but the display quality certainly is nice of course. But from first impressions, it's absolutely no "quantum leap".

HansTWN gave me the tip, to test the Kindle app. As you can see from the description in the Kindle app, it's "optimized for the new iPad retina display".
It's impossible to tell form these (admittedly not very good) snapshots: Obviously, there's no visible pixels of course. Personally, I wouldn't have any problems at all, using iPad 3 as a reader (don't have problems with my "normal" tablets either, though).

I didn't see any mention of it: The smart cover of iPad 2 fits without any problems.
I'll still check in the Apple store, whether there are any differences between the smart covers for iPad and iPad 3.

I've had 2 back shields for iPad 2. Surprisingly the back shields of iPad 2 don't fit for iPad 3.
I was a bit skeptical because of the slightly different depth.
But, to my surprise, the problem is in the height! Although Apple's comparison claims identical height and width. Maybe the different depth slightly changes the curved edges, so they don't fit anymore?
Anyway...no way to make them fit.
EDIT: With some force I could fit iPad 3 into the Marware Back Shield. It's a tight fit. But I figure, iPad 3 won't take any harm. In the worst case the shield breaks. But for now I simply want the back to have protection against scratches. Actually, I worry more about the back than about the screen..

So much for now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0827.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	84012   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0831.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	84013   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0832.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	84014   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0836.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	84015   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0837.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	84016   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0839.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	84017   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0841.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	84018   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0850.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	84019   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0854.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	84020   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0857.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	84021  

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-16-2012 at 10:30 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Congratulations!

Awaiting more pix

And also, nice singlet you're wearing there
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Congratulations!

Awaiting more pix

And also, nice singlet you're wearing there
Damn' reflection.
Directly out of bed...
Nice of you, not to mention my hair.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Ewwwww. Another tablet touching the iPad! Nooooooooooo! Lol. Just kidding.

Nice though. I'll be getting mine sometime later this morning.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
Congrats! I'm receiving mine sometime today via UPS.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Mine just arrived after a frustrating morning of road-watching!
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
Hi
Which application do you use for reading manga and comics ( .rar, cbr ) and adapted for the new screen ?
Thxx
Icey
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
Hi
Which application do you use for reading manga and comics ( .rar, cbr ) and adapted for the new screen ?
Thxx
Icey
I only use Comic Zeal. No idea yet, though, whether it's improved for Retina.
I'm not reading comics anyway, just (as always) collecting them.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-16-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got mine too. when the FedEx driver came up he was smiling cause I went & opened the door. I said " delivering a lot of these" he said yeah, everybody is at their door waiting."

Lol. Anyway. Beautiful screen. I love it.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Got mine too. when the FedEx driver came up he was smiling cause I went & opened the door. I said " delivering a lot of these" he said yeah, everybody is at their door waiting."
That's exactly what my FedEx guy said to me. He said that every other package today is an iPad.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
That's exactly what my FedEx guy said to me. He said that every other package today is an iPad.
Really? I expected it to be every package. Perhaps the other packages are iPad accessories (e.g. cases, docks, etc)
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Mine arrived late in the day - courier said he had a van full of them this morning! Up and running in 30 mins - got to love iCloud backup/restore - and it's just like an iPad, but with a truly great screen!
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
monkeyluis
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Mine arrived late in the day - courier said he had a van full of them this morning! Up and running in 30 mins - got to love iCloud backup/restore - and it's just like an iPad, but with a truly great screen!
Yeah the restore was super quick. My apps are still downloading but I've been up & running using the iPad as soon as the restore was over. Extremely painless.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Yeah the restore was super quick. My apps are still downloading but I've been up & running using the iPad as soon as the restore was over. Extremely painless.
Curious, how big are your iPad back-ups? Mine is at 3GB so I'm estimating restore from iCloud to take at least 20 mins and that's not even counting content I'd need to re-download to the iPad (apps and over 30GB worth of comics and manga).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
monkeyluis
Banned

477MB

I went in & turned off a lot of backing up on certain apps that I thought was unnessecary. I also cleaned up my iPad quite a bit of redundant apps or games I haven't played in a while. So it was a good time for cleaning.