Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
genepool
genepool began at the beginning.

Device: none
Art For Cover

If we use ancient Renaissance painting, will that be okay?

I mean the copyright has expired right?
genepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
It's a grey area. Some museums might claim they "own" the copyright. I say: Go for it. Screw em.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
BTW, I hate to quibble (well, who am I kidding, I love it), but the Renaissance is hardly "ancient". :P
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Dodge
Sparks fly off my pages!
Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It might be a good idea to get a concrete answer on this. Sure you can always make another book cover if you get into a copyright bind but that can be a pain. Do some digging on the painting you want to use. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong and all paintings from an older era are totally up for grabs. Just CYA.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
It's definitely a gray area. There are some you can argue are so well known that they're presumed to be public domain, however good luck trying to convince the Louvre that the picture of Mona Lisa you just used was okay because of the painting's age.

Some postcards from the 1950's and prior are actually in the public domain, and could be a better use..
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert