Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #17491
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just finished "The Lost World, " by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

A pleasant read with some nice character development of Professor Challenger.

Now onto reading "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel." This, too, seems harmless and pleasant, and is perhaps more geared to the geek crowd and the '20-somethings' in the world. --- But I'll persevere with it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #17492
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
Started another Kate Shugak book today, number nine, Hunter's Moon. These mysteries are pretty short, so I try to space them out so that I don't get up to date on the series too quickly. Every time I've finished one, I just want to start the next one. I like both the setting (rural Alaska), and the characters.
If you like Kate Shugak, you may also like Jessie Arnold, Alaska's premier female "musher", who makes her debut in Murder on the Iditarod Trail by Sue Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I absolutely loved my re-read of the first eleven Dresden Files books! I'd planned to go on to the end of the series with the last three books, but this point is a good place to pause as the arrival of James Potter and the Morrigan Web seems to be an omen of good fortune. So for now that pause will be filled with the new G. Norman Lippert book!
I'm starting the Harry Dresden books very soon -- they've been on my "need to read as soon as possible" list for quite some time. And how have I missed the James Potter series. It took me a long time to figure out where to get the first 3 books, but I finally tracked them down. Thanks for your cover to book #4 -- it's very (VERY) well done.

------------------

For now, I'm reading Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison, the eighth in her Hollows paranormal series. I can't seem to catch up since #13 is being released in October and #14 is scheduled for next year!

I'm also listening to Room by Emma Donoghue. It's absolutely fascinating!

Last edited by Hampshire Nanny; 08-25-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #17493
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
If you like Kate Shugak, you may also like Jessie Arnold, Alaska's premier female "musher", who makes her debut in Murder on the Iditarod Trail by Sue Henry.

I'm starting the Harry Dresden books very soon -- they've been on my "need to read as soon as possible" list for quite some time. And how have I missed the James Potter series. It took me a long time to figure out where to get the first 3 books, but I finally tracked them down. Thanks for your cover to book #4 -- it's very (VERY) well done.
Wow...ten more Alaska-located mysteries and a new Alaskan author who lives in my old adopted hometown and is associated with U of A! I took a couple of classes at U of A before I left Alaska many years ago! Thanks!

Glad you like the cover.

Hope to soon see you hanging out on our Dresden Files thread.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #17494
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Ice and Shadow by Andre Norton. Two novels, Ice Crown and Brother To Shadows packaged in one volume.
Two more books concerning mysterious Psi-powers, which is a favourite theme in Norton's books. They were OK, and I liked the protagonists in both, but they weren't compelling.

Next up: The latest issue of Asimov's Science Fiction, October/November 2013
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #17495
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Two more books concerning mysterious Psi-powers, which is a favourite theme in Norton's books. They were OK, and I liked the protagonists in both, but they weren't compelling.
I have to admit that this is the way that pretty much all of Norton's books strike me. She wrote an awful lot of books, but they're all pretty "lightweight" (IMHO).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #17496
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Now onto reading "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel." This, too, seems harmless and pleasant, and is perhaps more geared to the geek crowd and the '20-somethings' in the world. --- But I'll persevere with it.
I hope you'll like at as much as I did
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #17497
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Have you read the "Dreamers" series?

My libarary does not have the "The Belgariad" ebooks but they do have "Dreamers" - figured i would give that a try and if i find that enjoyable i would fork over the money for the series you are quite enthusiastic about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished a re-read of "Magician's Gambit", the third book in David Eddings' classic fantasy series "The Belgariad". Every bit as good as I remember, and, I have to say, a very nicely-produced ebook, with no formatting errors that I noticed.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #17498
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Yes, and I'm afraid I think it's just awful. I love Eddings's work, but that series, which was the last thing he wrote, is a real stinker.

Sorry .
Old 08-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #17499
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

My libarary does not have the "The Belgariad" ebooks but they do have "Dreamers" - figured i would give that a try and if i find that enjoyable i would fork over the money for the series you are quite enthusiastic about
The Begariad is excellent... Highly recommended. I haven't read the other series you refer to.

Bob
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #17500
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! I've looked at that series a couple of times, but not tried it yet.

Finished Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs today. I was a bit tired of Mercy Thompson after Silver Borne, but the two last instalments of the series have been enjoyable. This one was more action-packed than River Marked.

I've started The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin, the first book in a duology called Dreamblood. It's a fantasy set in a world loosely based on ancient Egypt.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #17501
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
hmmm
well, i have three of the four books of the dreamers so will give the first book a bit of time but will have my amazon card in hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, and I'm afraid I think it's just awful. I love Eddings's work, but that series, which was the last thing he wrote, is a real stinker.

Sorry .
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #17502
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I finally picked my next indie read. This is one of our own, Mel Comley, and her first Lorne Simpkins book, Cruel Justice. I have a few of her books, but have never got around to reading any. Of course, that typifies 80% of my eLibrary, but be that as it may, it's now her turn.
I'm rather sorry to say that I intensely disliked this book. I think the only significant compliment I can think of, having just read the final page, was that it was well copy-edited. It was (in my reading) error free. That's always a good thing.

It seems to be an odd mix of romance and police procedural but completely failing in both aspects. As a procedural it failed mainly because the main character followed absolutely no procedure. She was a bundle of reactions, gut feelings and snap judgements. It seemed so bizarre to me that I started coming to the conclusion that this was perhaps a romance with a crime mystery background.

However, it really didn't work as a romance either. There was really nothing in the main character that generated any sort of sympathy. I'm not a romance reader, but I'm assuming that's a fairly important aspect. And although a significant portion of the novel seemed invested in her struggle with her marriage, her emotional turmoil over the handsome pathologist with a sexy French accent and even her romantic past with another character which comes into the story, I can't imagine any of it resolving enough to satisfy a romance reader.

The book has a large number of 5 star reviews on Amazon which at least shows that people out there like it, but I'm definitely not one of them.

OK - now I'm moving on to The Anubis Gates. I've had this on my bookshelf for a couple of years now and it's been recommended to me several times, so I thought I'd finally find the time to read it. Feel free to chime in and tell me how much I'm going to love it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:56 AM   #17503
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
OK - now I'm moving on to The Anubis Gates. I've had this on my bookshelf for a couple of years now and it's been recommended to me several times, so I thought I'd finally find the time to read it. Feel free to chime in and tell me how much I'm going to love it.
It's a fantasy classic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much. I certainly did.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #17504
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Fellowship of the Ring. Don't think I have to mention the author... My first read of this one for 20 years, and enjoying it thoroughly.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #17505
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Finished up "2312" by Kim Stanley Robinson. I enjoyed it and thought several of the ideas (especially for transport between the planets) were quite interesting.

Now to finish off the Prince Roger series by Weber and Ringo by starting "We Few".
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote