Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Bruce Willis Planning Legal Battle to Leave iTunes Library in His Will

Quote:
Action movie legend Bruce Willis is apparently eyeing up a legal battle in order to guarantee that he can pass his massive iTunes library onto his children when he dies.

The Daily Mail is reporting that Willis is concerned about the fact that upon his death his entire music collection will revert to Apple ownership. As a result, he's taking some major steps to ensure that his tunes instead pass directly to his three daughters.

So far, he's been looking into "family trusts" which act as legal holders of the downloaded music. But the Mail also reports that he's prepared to take Apple to court over the issue.
http://gizmodo.com/5940045/bruce-wil...ry-in-his-will
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
This question about transfer of iTunes libraries has been mentioned here on MR already as a thread.

Simplest solution people found was to give heirs access to their accounts. Seems like it gets complicated. Apple's KNOWS that this will reduce their customer base size.

Last edited by Nexutix; 09-03-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
my eternal hero
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
iTunes dropped its DRM requirements a long time ago. If you bought stuff during the DRM era, you can pay a few extra cents per song and convert it to DRM-free.

All Willis had to do was call up a Genius Bar, and he'd be set. He'll pay more for legal fees than he ever would in upgrade costs.

I'd say that as far as iTunes music goes, this is DOA.

That said, transferring of ownership and rights still remains for DRM'ed materials, email accounts, social networking accounts, user passwords, etc etc....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
iTunes dropped its DRM requirements a long time ago. If you bought stuff during the DRM era, you can pay a few extra cents per song and convert it to DRM-free.

All Willis had to do was call up a Genius Bar, and he'd be set. He'll pay more for legal fees than he ever would in upgrade costs.

That said, transferring of ownership and rights still remains for DRM'ed materials, email accounts, social networking accounts, user passwords, etc etc....
The article is sketchy, but I wonder if he's doing it for principle and to try to establish a precedent. That would be a valuable service for the rest of us who don't have his resources.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:

I think you are confusing the issue of being physically able to transfer materials and being legally able to transfer them.
DRM'd or not has no effect on his legal ability to transfer ownership of his music files. If they are licensed to him personally, and that license is not transferrable, then they cannot be passed on.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The article is sketchy, but I wonder if he's doing it for principle and to try to establish a precedent. That would be a valuable service for the rest of us who don't have his resources.
When you have money in piles, I assume you just buy anything that seems interesting, so I assume his library is several thousands large, and thus worth a lot to his children.

I wonder how they will deal with the digital aspects of single songs. I mean, does all his children get all files, or does one get one album, another another album and so on, until all song are divided?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It appears to me that this feature has been phased out. I was just looking for it last week, when I realized that one of my .m4p files had been corrupted, and I thought it would be quicker and easier to upgrade than to restore from backup. I looked for about 10 minutes, but couldn't find the link.

Unless you know where to find it?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
It appears to me that this feature has been phased out. I was just looking for it last week, when I realized that one of my .m4p files had been corrupted, and I thought it would be quicker and easier to upgrade than to restore from backup. I looked for about 10 minutes, but couldn't find the link.

Unless you know where to find it?
When you first open iTunes, and go to the store, there is a link on the right side under quick links called "iTunes Plus". Go there and you should have the choice to upgrade your songs for $0.30 each.

iTunes Plus is at the very bottom of the quick links for me.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Go there and you should have the choice to upgrade your songs for $0.30 each.
Wow, that's expensive. Sure glad I no longer buy music. At home, I get genre listening from Pandora and songs on demand from You Tube. When driving, FM radio provides my music. On foot, it's FM radio and MP3s (from my CD collection).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Sounds like another sequel to me.

iDie Hard
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
It's being reported that his iTunes library is valued at £40,000
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Wow, that's expensive. Sure glad I no longer buy music. At home, I get genre listening from Pandora and songs on demand from You Tube. When driving, FM radio provides my music. On foot, it's FM radio and MP3s (from my CD collection).
No doubt the record label demanded that fee. They are the real douche bags in all this. If it were up to them fair use probably wouldn't exist at all.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
No doubt the record label demanded that fee. They are the real douche bags in all this. If it were up to them fair use probably wouldn't exist at all.
When the program initially started it was $0.10 per song....I guess the price went up after the introductory offer. iTunes Plus has been around for a while now.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
I cannot speak for other jurisdictions, but in Australia if you buy an iTunes song you actually own it. Our (very strong and very easy to enforce) Trade Practices Act dismisses fine print. It regards what is offered as valid if it is "What a reasonable person would expect" on seeing the original offer. The iTunes store says "Buy now for $xxx", not lease or rent now, so here if you "buy" it, you own it. I have used our Trade Practice law successfully in the past.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote