Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #31
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Honestly, this makes me think it might be time to move south. Its very frustrating to see the US get all the cool stuff while we languish because apparently our big companies don't want to get with technology (anyone watching the current UBB/AvP issue knows what I mean). It just seems that many of the regulations here are to stymie any form of good competition or growth. Too much risk?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #32
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Eric, have you noticed the problems we are having getting things like Pandora or the sub-par version of Netflix available here--getting anything like that is very, very difficult because of Canadian regulations. Amazon had a huge struggle getting permission to build a warehouse here, and was only granted permission in the spring of 2010.

I'm not saying I disagree. It's obvious companies are not selling in Canada. I'm just saying I don't understand why they don't. It's not the taxes, which is what most people think. The big hurdle should be the books (or other "content", because you need a Canadian presence to sell them--and this explains Netflix too). Once companies like Amazon have passed that hurdle (they are allowed to sell books in Canada), selling all the other things they sell at amazon.com through their Canadian site should be trivial. Yet they don't do it. It's baffling.

As for content sales and Canadian presence, this brings another concern into the picture: if Kobo is foreign owned, will they continue to be able to sell in Canada? My understanding is so long as their officies remain here they can sell to us. But if the new foreign parent decides to close to Toronto office, then bye bye to your ability to buy books direct on your Kobo. Everything may need to be side-loaded.

I was about to buy a new Kobo. Now I'm going to wait and see what happens. Who knows, this entire sale might be cancelled by the government. It wouldn't be the first time a foreign buy-out was squashed.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #33
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Sony sells eBooks in Canada without a problem. I'm pretty sure that Kobo will be fine, as long as the sale is approved. It's not just our corporate taxes that come into play, it is also the deals that US states are making with companies that establish a presence and create jobs within their borders.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #34
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Wow,with my vox unable to open any of the ereader apps since friday, and the sale of the parent company a week after release, I am returning mine.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #35
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sony sells eBooks in Canada without a problem.
Sony can sell eBooks in Canada because the corporation called Sony of Canada Ltd. has its headquarters in Toronto. In other words, it's a Canadian company. There are over 135 corporations all over the world that are part of the Sony family, and this is how huge multi-nationals deal with local jurisdictional issues.

So, are there little Rakuten corporations all over the world too?

------

Further research, I see that they have a couple companies in the USA, including Buy.com Canada Inc. (which is incorporated in California and cannot sell books in Canada). They also have a couple in Europe. So they may be willing to continue to expand, and they may be willing to keep Kobo as an independent corporation headquartered in Toronto. Or they may decide it's more cost effective to consolidate it with some other larger office somewhere else, which will mean they will stop selling books in Canada.

For now, until this becomes more clear, I will wait and see.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #36
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
they may be willing to keep Kobo as an independent corporation headquartered in Toronto. Or they may decide it's more cost effective to consolidate it with some other larger office somewhere else, which will mean they will stop selling books in Canada.
The vision for both companies is to sell books world wide--somehow I imagine that includes Canada . The statements made by both include the fact that Kobo will be run as an independent company within the larger structure. Ultimately, only time will tell. Plans change. You can read books from Kobo on a Sony or any other reader that can use Adobe Adept ePUB, (or drm free if you roll that way) ultimately your device choice is up to you.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #37
EricDP
Groupie

Quote:
The vision for both companies is to sell books world wide...
Exactly my point.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #38
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
Wow,with my vox unable to open any of the ereader apps since friday, and the sale of the parent company a week after release, I am returning mine.
Actually, as much as I hate seeing a foreign takeover of a Canadian company, I'm hopeful that the buyout is going to be a positive for Kobo. Really hoping this is going to give them the financial resources/clout to actually hire enough support staff to properly look after their products.
The fact that a roughly 2 year old upstart company is selling for a relatively premium price to new owners says that somebody see's a lot of potential there.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #39
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Anjohl, I am sure you are a terrific person, but I have seen some of your struggles on the Vox forum, and it seems to me that perhaps not all of the problems you are having are related to limitations of the device.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #40
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Anjohl, I am sure you are a terrific person, but I have seen some of your struggles on the Vox forum, and it seems to me that perhaps not all of the problems you are having are related to limitations of the device.
What a wonderfully condescending and ignorant thing to say! Please, tell me more about myself and my problems!
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #41
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I really did not know what polite thing I could say about someone who said it didn't matter if someone who was having a problem tried resetting to factory defaults before trying a simple reboot. I'm sorry if I offended you. I was trying to stay within the MR guidelines.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #42
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
That's a pity. I happen to be reading three different books at the moment, all on my Kobo Vox: one, a Kobo book using the Kobo ereader; another, using the Kindle app; and the third, borrowed from my local library with the DRM managed by Overdrive. I really love the flexibility and ease Kobo Vox brings.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian, ereader, japan, kobo