Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
[Old Thread] Incorrect title sort order

Until the last few days i used calibre primarily as a converter tool. But now i loaded about 500 books and still going.

I'm using 7.7 and not quite sure if the sort order of the title column is wrong or if this could be customized. Sorting titles from A-Z looks like

"A book"
"B book"
"The C book"
"D book"

although i believe it should be

"A book"
"B book"
"D book"
"The C book"

as "The" is part of the title and therefore should be part of the sorting order. So far i've never seen sorting order ignoring articles. It just kills me as everytime i have to look at all titles manually just to be sure nothing's been overseen. Sorting title column doesn't seem to help. Not very convenient for me.

Any hints or comments ?

Thx.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Until the last few days i used calibre primarily as a converter tool. But now i loaded about 500 books and still going.

I'm using 7.7 and not quite sure if the sort order of the title column is wrong or if this could be customized. Sorting titles from A-Z looks like

"A book"
"B book"
"The C book"
"D book"

although i believe it should be

"A book"
"B book"
"D book"
"The C book"

as "The" is part of the title and therefore should be part of the sorting order. So far i've never seen sorting order ignoring articles. It just kills me as everytime i have to look at all titles manually just to be sure nothing's been overseen. Sorting title column doesn't seem to help. Not very convenient for me.

Any hints or comments ?

Thx.
Standard sorting order for titles has been to ignore "The" and "A", except for titles such as A for Anything.That's the way everybody does it, even before computers.

Last edited by JMikeD; 07-05-2010 at 03:24 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
That's the way everybody does it, even before computers.
Nope.
Maybe in the US but not Europe.
Unfortunately i'm German.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can change the sort order for the GUI using a tweak.

Tweaks are set in the file tweaks.py, located in your configuration directory. You can find that by going to preferences -> advanced -> Open configuration directory (or something like that).

The documentation for the tweak in question is
Code:
# Control title sorting.
# If set to 'library_order', Leading articles such as The and A will be ignored.
# If set to 'strictly_alphabetic', the titles will be sorted without processing
# For example, with library_order, The Client will sort under 'C'. With
# strictly_alphabetic, the book will sort under 'T'.
# This flag affects Calibre's library display. It has no effect on devices. In
# addition, books added before changing the flag will retain their order until
# the title is edited. Double-clicking on a title and hitting return without
# changing anything is sufficient to change the sort.
title_sorting = 'library_order'
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can turn off that type of sorting via a tweak, documented in the customizing calibre section of the user manual
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard

Great !

I'm going to try this as soon as my PC is available again.

Is there a list of available tweaks ?
The default tweaks.py only contains 2 tweaks.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In the User Manual
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Nope.
OK, "in English-speaking countries." I have no knowledge of sorting in other languages. It's interesting that it's different. Probably should have expected it, though.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Out of curiosity, would a you sort Die Fliedermaus under D or F? Eine Frau under E of F? von Braun under v or B? In English, the first would be under 'F' (The Bat), the second under 'E' (One Woman), and the third is undefined, left to the preferences of the person.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Is there a list of available tweaks ?
The default tweaks.py only contains 2 tweaks.
The other day I noticed my tweaks.py only had one tweak so I exited calibre, deleted the file, restarted calibre which rebuilt the tweak file to default with 5 or 6 tweaks documented in it.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Out of curiosity, would a you sort Die Fliedermaus under D or F? Eine Frau under E of F? von Braun under v or B? In English, the first would be under 'F' (The Bat), the second under 'E' (One Woman), and the third is undefined, left to the preferences of the person.
Die Fledermaus --> F (otherwise D would be the biggest section in any bookstore or register).
Eine Frau --> just as likely under "E" (its ambiguous and might be "a woman" or "one woman")
von Braun --> depends, some would sort as Braun, Firstname von, others as von Braun, Firstname

NB: My Sony sorts all titles starting with "The" under "T", which I find annoying, but in Calibre the "The" is ignored.
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherwax View Post
Die Fledermaus --> F (otherwise D would be the biggest section in any bookstore or register).
Now I am curious and confused. Skydream seems to say books in Europe are sorted using "The" as an alphabet entry but weatherwax states if they used "Die" to sort then D would be the biggest section in any bookstore.

I know countries do things differently but ordering books, movies, and CDs have been done ignoring the articles of "A" and "the" since long before I was born (don't ask).

I suspect as weatherwax indicates above, the same is true for Europe and the USA for the same reasons.

If either of you can enlighten me further I would like to know.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #13
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Here in the Netherlands we also 'skip' certain words like DE / HET (the) or EEN (a/one) so books in a library would be sorted as

Angst
Duin
Laatste Offer, Het
Ringwereld, De
Testament, Het

The same technique is used for the names of Authors Lastname, Firstname but with words like 'de' and 'van' combined with the firstname.

So Yvonne van der Meer would be Meer, Yvonne van der

Sorting would go like

Meer, Yvonne van der
Mendes, Bob
Vogt, A.E. van
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote