Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
kindlecracked
kindlecracked began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (2011) K4, K4S
Angry cracked screen-can I hack kindle to only use part of screen?

Hey all. I'm using a kindle with 5-way controller, dropped it, cracked the screen, rendering the bottom 1/3 useless. Can I hack the kindle to only display on the top 2/3?

I see here's a horizontal margin parameter in the system folder, but I'm guessing that's for the left and right margins? Any place for the bottom?

Thanks!
kindlecracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Not that I've ever heard of. That would require fairly extensive recoding of the basic display code. Also, how would you specify which part of the screen to use?

No bottom margin setting that I know of. Anyway, it almost certainly would not allow a margin that large.

Just buy a new Kindle. $59.00 with special offers for a new basic touch.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
kindlecracked

I'm wading through some hack threads and, though there's no setting native to the kindle, there may be some hacks to add a bottom margin. Wish me luck!

I'm traveling outside the US and don't have access to those offers. I also don't need a touchscreen, backlit screen, or anything more than a basic ereader. Thanks anyway for the reply!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No eink screen is backlit. Eink is opaque. They are frontlit screens.

The Kindle basic does not have a lit screen. You can pay $79.00 and get a basic without special offers. All Kindles are now touchscreen.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
kindlecracked

Good to know! I'll try to get this one working and check out deals on a low end kindle next time I'm back in the States. Thanks!
Advert
Old 05-04-2015, 12:44 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I've definitely seen a hack somewhere in the Developer's Corner by someone with the same problem. But I am afraid I cannot remember where.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
kindlecracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I've definitely seen a hack somewhere in the Developer's Corner by someone with the same problem. But I am afraid I cannot remember where.
Just found one that might work. Was this the one you saw?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=38

Now I just have to learn how to read that. LOL
Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That looks like it. Should be easy for you to install.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Couldn't you just set the screen orientation to landscape, then adjust the horizontal margin to hide the broken bit?
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

P.S. Moved to the Developer's Corner.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
kindlecracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
Couldn't you just set the screen orientation to landscape, then adjust the horizontal margin to hide the broken bit?
Good idea, but the parameter is simply "horizontal margins", so if I edit that to avoid the 1/3 on one side, it would also increase the margin on the other side, leaving only 1/3 of the page in the middle for reading. Anyway better than my current work around, flipping the orientation to upside down to read the last 1/3 of the page, flipping it back to right side up on the next page, etc...
Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
kindlecracked

Tried it anyway, and the margin seems to reset to default. Not successful.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
A new screen would probably be nearly the same cost as a new "basic" Kindle.
Just toss the broken one in the re-cycle bin.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
A new screen would probably be nearly the same cost as a new "basic" Kindle.
Just toss the broken one in the re-cycle bin.
In addition to the above, if you prefer the older kindles with keyboards or five-way controllers to the new touch models you can likely find one available on eBay for a good price if you can wait for one. The older ones also have the advantage that you can enhance them without the need to physically modify them.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #15
kindlecracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
In addition to the above, if you prefer the older kindles with keyboards or five-way controllers to the new touch models you can likely find one available on eBay for a good price if you can wait for one. The older ones also have the advantage that you can enhance them without the need to physically modify them.

Dave
Thanks for the advice, Dave. I'm out of the country for at least another month or two, and would like to keep reading, so I'm still hoping someone can help me implement this scroller hack in the meantime.

Tags
broken display, hack, kindle