Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 05:46 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question install multiple versions, install to ram drive

2 related questions here

can I have 2 versions of sigil installed ( like you can with calibre : 32 & 64 bit versions)
can I install a version to a ram drive?, it only appears to need 120Mb, looking at my C:/program files install. I'd like to test that if possible without removing the current install, just to satisfy my curiosity of why sigil loads much more slowly than, say MS word. 9 my ram srive is set to save at shutdown, load at startup, so in install to there should survive reboots

when sigil loads, is it also loading anything outside of that install directory ?

3rd question, how do I determine ht I have right now- the "about" tab says 0.72 but it does not say 32 ot 64 bit. I have a feeling that I have the 64 bit version installed in the 32 bit program files x 86 folder for some ancient reason.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-11-2015 at 05:52 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can install Sigil to a RAM drive, simply change the install-to location.
Alternatively, use Sigil Portable, packaged at http://portableapps.com

I have the Portable version, so it's 32-bit -- it doesn't say the bitness anywhere that I can see.

You can try running it and checking in Task Manager to see the bitness.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 01:11 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i pu tthe portable version into ram and addad an open with keyboard shortcut to calibr for it.
then I went looking for where stored find/replace code was saved & somehow managed to lose all the ones in my original install when trying to copy them to portable.
but after more testing, I think the portable & the main versions maintain independent search records and do happily co-exist.
as for speed, well the 1st use of main version with no book seems to take about 4 seconds to initialize, the ram version is almost instant. the extra time needed to prep an existing book for edit is probably same in both ?
it's not that I need to save 4 seconds of my day, I as just puzzled as to why such a small footprint program loads more slowly than others of comparable size. i guess it is to to when what language it is written in, I note that foobar2000 also needs 2-3 seconds, & that's tiny.

PS- the other rationale is: having bought extra RAM, I am now looking for creative uses of RAM Drive in order to justify the waste of money

Last edited by cybmole; 01-12-2015 at 01:58 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The entire point of a PortableApp is to keep all settings independent of anything else on the system. There are tons of great programs there, that have been portablized -- all of them coexist with regular installed versions. Though they may refuse to run at the same time.

Sigil is written in C++, calibre in python. Python is the more traditionally slow, yet calibre has always seemed faster to me...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote