Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-11-2018, 04:20 AM   #46
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
I'm not entirely sure, I think the problem with screen scratches can have to do with the material of the tip? If my memory severs me well, Note and Max 2 don't require the tip of the stylus to be replaced. So maybe the material of the tip is too tough which can cause scratches?

I made a lot of notes with my Remarkable and Sony DPT RP1, and didn't use any screen protector at all. So far I didn't see any scratches.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #47
charliebub
Connoisseur
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max2
The point of a screen protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkckoo View Post
I dont understand the point of these screen protectors? you wont scratch your screen directly, but your screen protector will be left scratched? and you can still see the scratches the same way while using the device? or are you going to buy a dozen screen protectors and change them perpetually?

what i would like to know, is there an alternative stylus pen that will work for the note/max devices and wont scratch the screen? heard sony DTS pens are excellent, but have no idea if those work.
The point of the screen protectors - is that the damage is to the protector not the actual screen surely!
The screen protector isn't a vital part of a very expensive device.
The screen protector may be replaced periodically.
The damage to the screen protector is of course not cumulative beyond the next new one fitted - without a protector the damage would increase to the actual screen and reach a point where it becomes a real and very expensive problem threatening the future of the entire device rather than a single screen protector.
The list may go-on....

I personally intend to 'keep in stock' several screen protectors and yes, change them perpetually, but not often - as the scratches that I see on my screen protector after a couple of weeks of constant use for note-taking with the stylus, are not in any way a problem, given the knowledge that I may change it whenever I see fit, secure in the knowledge that once that one is removed - the damage to that point goes with it - and the original screen is still undamaged....

John B.
charliebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #48
charliebub
Connoisseur
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_F View Post
I'm not entirely sure, I think the problem with screen scratches can have to do with the material of the tip? If my memory severs me well, Note and Max 2 don't require the tip of the stylus to be replaced. So maybe the material of the tip is too tough which can cause scratches?

I made a lot of notes with my Remarkable and Sony DPT RP1, and didn't use any screen protector at all. So far I didn't see any scratches.
That makes a lot of sense to me - seems to point to the material of the actual tip being too hard....
That gives us maybe the choice between replacing tips or replacing screen protectors.
The (what seems to me at least) somewhat excessive pressure needed to use the eraser-end of the stylus must be a prime suspect for scratching I think - perhaps the eraser-function would be better implemented with the stylus-tip instead, perhaps with a press of the other (top) end to toggle the erase/draw functions?

John B.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #49
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebub View Post
I think - perhaps the eraser-function would be better implemented with the stylus-tip instead, perhaps with a press of the other (top) end to toggle the erase/draw functions?

John B.
That would be a good idea, but while you push the eraser in and have the stylus tip pointing towards the screen, the distance would be too great to register. This is an passive stylus that has to be "in contact" with the electro magnetic field emitted by the screen.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #50
charliebub
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That would be a good idea, but while you push the eraser in and have the stylus tip pointing towards the screen, the distance would be too great to register. This is an passive stylus that has to be "in contact" with the electro magnetic field emitted by the screen.
Oh, I mean a design of stylus (i.e. not the present one) that has a toggle on what is now the eraser-end which when 'clicked' or pressed briefly, will 'put the stylus into erase-mode' during which time it will erase rather than draw. Another 'click' of the button would then toggle the tip back into draw-mode and so-on...

Very quick, very easy - perhaps yes, change the stylus to an active design if necessary or appropriate - I'm totally ignorant of electronics I'm afraid.

Just a thought..

John B.

p.s. The presence of a 'side-button' on the present stylus may be exploited - although I find it's positioning to be awful as I constantly press it unintentionally while drawing or using the stylus as a pointer etc...
Advert
Old 06-12-2018, 12:57 AM   #51
luke_nukem
luke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
what i would like to know, is there an alternative stylus pen that will work for the note/max devices and wont scratch the screen? heard sony DTS pens are excellent, but have no idea if those work.
Yes, this one. It works very well for me so far, though pressure seems more sensitive. Bonus it works with both the Boox Note and Samsung Note.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5b3fce4d65.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	164437  
luke_nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #52
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Protective screens way less vulnerable to scratches

Quote:
I dont understand the point of these screen protectors? you wont scratch your screen directly, but your screen protector will be left scratched? and you can still see the scratches the same way while using the device? or are you going to buy a dozen screen protectors and change them perpetually?

The thing is, the screen protector is much tougher than the screen itself. My protector has got no scratches from normal use.

Regarding the other comments, I do no believe that the tip of the stylus or the eraser are the problem. They are made of a similar material as the Max Carta stylus, and that stylus didn't scratch the screen at all by normal use.

In my opinion the problem lies with the capacitive layer, which is too soft. E-Ink and Onyx should really work on that sooner rather than later, because such a fault is not permissible by a 800 dollar device.

As I pointed out earlier, there are companies able to apply the protective screen perfectly, thus there is a (temporary) technical solution to the problem, which the manufacturer could do in optimal conditions in the factory with little supplementary cost, without forcing us paying a lot of extra money for their fault.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #53
sheepman
sheepman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
Hi everyone.

I have been following this thread for a while. I just signed up to let you know that after carefully following all your instructions.. and many deep breaths.. I completely FCKED up the installation of the screen protector.

I'm putting the stylus aside for good. I'm afraid even to go near it.

I am very fed up that such an excellent (and expensive) device is marred by this silly fault which makes the whole damn thing nearly unusable.

To all of you living with 131020 bubbles on their Max2 screen I feel your pain.
sheepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #54
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
I'm not sure it's really avoidable. Scratches are usually a result of dust particles getting trapped between the display and the stylus and dragged over the surface. I suppose a soft tip may reduce the risk, similar to how fingers don't seem to scratch surfaces as easily as styluses, but won't eliminate the problem entirely. Even quality glass displays, like the one of the iPad Pro, end up getting scratched by the stylus, depending on the environment. Wacom drawing tablets (Cintiq series) also suffer from scratching, in spite of their build quality and price.

I agree with you on screen protectors, though scratching a $5 piece of transparent plastic is much less upsetting than scratching the actual display of a $500+ device. My problem with them is how they generally degrade the screen and I have never been able to apply a larger screen protector without bubbles or dust enclosures. I don't use one on my iPad for that reason (no scratches, but I don't use a stylus).

Last edited by Mivo; 06-12-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #55
luke_nukem
luke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enoughluke_nukem will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Note
I'm actually noticing another issue now. The screen can get grooves in it if you press too hard (a bit like the page underneath the one you've written on).

Really starting to wish it had a layer like the Kobo Aura One now, but thinner (no sharp bezel around edge).
luke_nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #56
leojab
leojab began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
oh.. i know the feeling. I spent 25 USD to ship a single Max 2 screen protector to my place including customs and now I get so dreamy bubbles on screen which looks worst in sunlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman View Post
Hi everyone.

To all of you living with 131020 bubbles on their Max2 screen I feel your pain.
leojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:18 AM   #57
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman View Post
I completely FCKED up the installation of the screen protector. [...] To all of you living with 131020 bubbles on their Max2 screen I feel your pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leojab View Post
oh.. i know the feeling. I spent 25 USD to ship a single Max 2 screen protector to my place including customs and now I get so dreamy bubbles on screen which looks worst in sunlight
Which is of course what is expected, if you are inexperienced.
Have you have least tried to find a professional? Or you just went for "I'll do it" as your first idea?
https://www.moutfitters.com/store-locator/

BTW: I am experienced AND I go to professionals, because the latter is the decision outcome of the whole long experience.

Last edited by mdp; 06-13-2018 at 04:21 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #58
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-96y2YbQ1NQ and the result is OK.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #59
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
From my experience with phones and iPads: Apply the screen protector after having taken a shower in a bathroom. The humidity helps in keeping free-floating particles in check.
Wipe the screen carefully with a dry microfibre cloth after cleaning it from any grease and dust with a wet microfibre cloth.
Use a piece of cello to remove specks of dust from the inside of the screen protector and the screen if you notice any.
Use a plastic spatula to attach the screen protector. Swipe left to right while going from top to bottom.

I have a protector like that on my iPad because it helps dispersing the light that shines on the screen on occasion. That being said: It's a bit of mess that you would have to do this on an eink screen. It simply should not scratch at all from intended use. Consider returning the device to express your sentiment.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #60
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
I ordered two screen protectors for my Max2.
Before installing I would clean the display thoroughly.

Do you have any advice on how to do it?
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote