Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 01:16 AM   #1
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Kobo Libra H2O - first reviews

https://youtu.be/CgZd3zbC0Aw

Some info from the video:

- Forma-shaped, 7" screen, 300ppi, 8GB
- Available in black and white
- Price around 180 euros (like the Aura H2O)
- New firmware with a different look (as you can see in the video - the smaller header will please many people), with a new function similar to the 'page preview' the Kindle has when navigating inside a book
- PDF reading and navigation appears improved, with page preview function
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The header doesn’t seem so different but some of those menus do.

I wish this video was done a bit better, for much of it the view is zoomed way out. There’s so much empty space that tells us nothing about what the device looks like when being used. Heck a good third of the screen is taken up by the area showing the box.

It looks like they made the page turn buttons two unique buttons rather than the one long bar that the Forma has, and moving the power button to a recessed spot on the back is an interesting choice. I think the front might have been a better option but at least it should solve some people’s issues with the power button on the Forma.

Not something I’d pick up since I have the Forma. But it seems a pretty solid device for the price.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Had a look at the specs and technically it is basically a 7" Forma. One hardware difference is a sunken screen instead of a flush one. Would have loved to have upgraded from my Clara but was really hoping for something with a flush screen. Bummer.

Last edited by tourneur; 09-04-2019 at 01:51 AM.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:02 AM   #4
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1680x1264 pixels, 300 dpi
NXP i.MX 6SLL processor
Single core Cortex-A9 1GHz
512MB ram
8GB storage
1200mAh battery
IPX8
Micro-usb port
802.11bgn-wifi
144x159x7,8mm
192 grams
Old 09-04-2019, 02:07 AM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The depressed screen likely means a return to infrared sensors which might make some people happy since the screen may be slightly sharper.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 02:20 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Anything about the substrate?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:38 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
NXP i.MX 6SLL processor
Single core Cortex-A9 1GHz
Where does the second line come from? It wasn't shown on the specs page in the video. And I would have thought it was a completely different processor.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:42 AM   #8
tourneur
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Where does the second line come from? It wasn't shown on the specs page in the video. And I would have thought it was a completely different processor.
Source (Dutch): https://tweakers.net/nieuws/156802/k...-180-euro.html
Old 09-04-2019, 02:43 AM   #9
tourneur
Zealot

Kobo release video: https://youtu.be/7xegTvqzNws
Old 09-04-2019, 02:54 AM   #10
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
Had a look at the specs and technically it is basically a 7" Forma. One hardware difference is a sunken screen instead of a flush one. Would have loved to have upgraded from my Clara but was really hoping for something with a flush screen. Bummer.
The only surprising thing is that it's a mini forma, other than that it offers nothing new to the ereader world as I expected. I mean truthfully there really isn't much they can do, expect maybe change the form factor. Out of the three new readers from Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Kobo, I think the nicest of the three is surprisingly the Nook. Which sadly I think many are scared to purchase because the company has changed hands, plus the more difficult library usage of the device.

Last edited by Tony1988; 09-04-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:24 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And look, they removed the options to hide the header and footer when reading!
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:59 AM   #12
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And look, they removed the options to hide the header and footer when reading!
They sure did, which is a bummer - I'd gotten used to hiding the footer. I'm used to patching already, so I hope that someone will come up with something as well (maybe we'll be able to activate it in the .conf file?).
I do like the percentage at the top always being shown though. The new in-book menus look good IMO.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:01 AM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if I had to buy a new reader this would probably be it (white, with page turn buttons, in this day and age? I'm sold!)

but probably it doesn't have internal sd card slot anymore?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:37 AM   #14
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Phew, my stomach dropped when I saw the thumbnail and the price right after ordering a Forma but it sounds like the Forma is still king, recessed screens picking up dust drives me mad and I wanted the biggest reader I could get anyway.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #15
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A recessed screen! Great. IR looks much sharper than capacitive, in my opinion.

Also happy that they're keeping the Forma design. Good to see that they've improved on the buttons' ergonomics: the page buttons should be more tactile, and more importantly the Forma's power button is awful. Not sure if I like the back placement though, these look bad with cases.

I wonder if they fixed the Forma's light column?
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote