Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
JeanneWrites
JeanneWrites began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub size ginormous

I've been using Calibre for over a year to convert docx files to epub. I went to convert one for a client (.docx file size = 257 kb) and the epub size has jumped from the expected tiny size to 15,000KB. I am doing nothing different and the uploaded file is the same as one I uploaded several months ago without issue.

If I take that exact same docx and run it through other converters, the resulting epub size is as expected. I don't like how it looks or I'd just use that. Calibre produces a higher quality file, but I can't function with a file this huge.

The only difference between this time and the last time I uploaded to convert is upgrading to the 4.9.1 version of Calibre. Based on the results, I have to assume there is something wrong with the latest version of Calibre.

Help. My client is on a deadline.

Thanks, Jeanne
JeanneWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just reconverted a few DOCX files with calibre 4.9.1 that were previously converted with calibre 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x. The epub file sizes didn't change by more than a few bytes (probably minor metadata changes).

You can reinstall older calibre releases after uninstalling the current one - you won't lose libraries or settings. If you are using Windows you could install an earlier version of the portable version and leave 4.9.1 in place. See calibre: Previous releases

Added - if you report the problem at Bugs : calibre you could attach the docx and mark the report "Private', then Kovid Goyal would be able to take a look at the file etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-03-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: See Added
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
JeanneWrites

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I just reconverted a few DOCX files with calibre 4.9.1 that were previously converted with calibre 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x. The epub file sizes didn't change by more than a few bytes (probably minor metadata changes).

BR
Thanks. I decided to reconvert a previous file I knew worked and it doesn't have the size issue. So now I have NO idea what might be wrong with the .docx file I'm having the issue with. Any clue what I can go look for. Oh, and I'm relieved it isn't the tool, but now frustrated because I formatted this new file the exact same way.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

images ??

BR
Old 02-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
JeanneWrites

There are no images. It's just a novel with a TOC. The TOC was created in the exact same way as the file that converts in the correct size.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Use the Unpack book tool (you may need to add it to a toolbar/menu), and have a look at the file sizes in the folder it creates, including in the OEBPS subfolders

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-03-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneWrites View Post
There are no images. It's just a novel with a TOC. The TOC was created in the exact same way as the file that converts in the correct size.
Monster cover image maybe ?

BR
Old 02-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
JeanneWrites

OMG! You're a genius. I never would have found this. It's including a font I didn't know I was even using, so now I just need to figure out where it's hiding and get rid of it.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

See Search and Replace Specific Formatting (fonts, styles,etc) in Microsoft Word

To find any character use ^? and select the rogue font.

BR
Old 02-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
JeanneWrites

Found it. The author had asked me to use a different font for two lines of texting.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneWrites View Post
Found it. The author had asked me to use a different font for two lines of texting.
One thing you can do with Calibre to reduce the size is to subset that embedded font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing you can do with Calibre to reduce the size is to subset that embedded font.

@JeanneWrites - it can be done post conversion using the Polish Book tool (press P), tick the box.

BR
Old 02-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
JeanneWrites

Thanks. I went ahead and just used a different font.

Tags
epub, size issues