Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Reasons I'm not getting a Kindle but the Sony 505 instead.

1) Price......a hundred bucks (actually a little over) is a big difference. This coming from a guy who paid $700 for a PS3 .....and NO I am not a Sony fan boy. Yes I realize the Kindle has wireless tech built in....but I don't need that.

2) The Kindle is frigging ugly......the Sony looks nice.

3) I see no major issues with Sony Connect.....sure it's not as refined as Amazon.....but they have dropped their prices and I'm finding "most" of the books I would like. Not to mention the other sources for books online. I should be able to get virtually everything I want onto the Sony.

If you don't really want the wireless features why would anyone buy the Kindle over the Sony? I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I suddenly NEED to download a book onto my reader? These things hold hundreds of books. Load up a bunch I have not read yet and I'm good to go for a long, long time.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm wrestling with this question myself.

But you are forgetting another functionality - the keyboard. The ability to add bookmarked notes is useful, as is the dictionary/look-up function.

I'm probably still in agreement with you but it is a tough decision, having already bought a Sony 505 for my wife for Xmas. What will I get?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
crionox
Enthusiast
crionox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, iPhone, iPad
Hi Astropin,

All good reasons, and some of these were issues I went back on forth on decided on a device myself (I eventually went with the Kindle, although for some different reasons). I hope you enjoy the Reader, it looks like a really nice device. Have you already been using it, or is this something you'll be getting soon and just decided on a camp?

David
crionox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Keeping my 505 because:

1. The kindle doesn't have anything that I want. I read news on line, magazines are old news and I'll never pay to read a blog. I have access to a computer and internet 24/7 and thus no interest in EVDO downloading. I have a Franklin Dictionary I've had for years.

2. I much prefer the sony form factor.

3. I like metal over plastic.

4. I want the longest lasting battery.

5. Something all together new will be available sometime in late 08' or early 09'

Highjacked from another thread
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Here is my #1 item for staying with Sony:

1. Whispernet won't work for non-US folks. This makes all the addon functionality of the Kindle redundant for my person.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Astropin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by crionox View Post
Hi Astropin,

All good reasons, and some of these were issues I went back on forth on decided on a device myself (I eventually went with the Kindle, although for some different reasons). I hope you enjoy the Reader, it looks like a really nice device. Have you already been using it, or is this something you'll be getting soon and just decided on a camp?

David
Just decided on a camp.....after a lot of reading on this site and checking out "all" of the ebook sites. I do like some of the features Amazon offers. Their site is easier to use being a big one.....but not big enough (for me) to make up the cost and appearance differences. The superior battery life on the Sony is nice. It's rare that I need to look up a word while reading although that would be handy when I do need one. I like that I can purchase any LIT ebook and easily convert it for the Sony.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I too am going back and forth, but the replaceable battery and built in dictionary seem to have me leaning towards a Kindle!
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I always find it interesting how different folks see different aspects of a devise to be more compelling. For me, the battery life and handier form-factor are what's keeping me with Sony ... or you might say on the Dark-Blue Side.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm still going to keep my Sony Reader. And I'd buy another one, if I had to make the choice again.

However, I'm looking at the Kindle for my mother. I think the ease of buying books from Amazon, plus the availability of titles, makes it a very compelling platform for a person who doesn't want to spend time and effort to convert books to a specific format from free sources.

So... I see the Reader as being a better choice for geeks and people who don't mind fiddling a bit more with their gadgets. The Kindle is perhaps a better choice for people who want it to "just work".

Anyone else feel that divide?
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
I'm still going to keep my Sony Reader. And I'd buy another one, if I had to make the choice again.

However, I'm looking at the Kindle for my mother. I think the ease of buying books from Amazon, plus the availability of titles, makes it a very compelling platform for a person who doesn't want to spend time and effort to convert books to a specific format from free sources.

So... I see the Reader as being a better choice for geeks and people who don't mind fiddling a bit more with their gadgets. The Kindle is perhaps a better choice for people who want it to "just work".

Yes! The Kindle is the America Online (AOL) of the readers! Remember how the techie people HATED America Online so much because of how all the people who didn't know anything could suddenly get online and say "me too!"

Actually that left a bad taste in my mouth because I love my Kindle. But I think it's the same comparison. The people who hate the Kindle seem to be the same ones that say "Come on, writing a little script code isn't hard ya moron!!"

Don't get me wrong tho, I love the techie people that have made life so much easier for us non-techie people....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Wait 'till someone gets into the Kindle's firmware and starts writing custom hacks. THEN nobody is going to make the AOL analogy anymore
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfeifle View Post
I too am going back and forth, but the replaceable battery and built in dictionary seem to have me leaning towards a Kindle!
I agree that these are good features. They were just not worth the extra cost to me & the other features were of no value to me.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Yes! The Kindle is the America Online (AOL) of the readers! Remember how the techie people HATED America Online so much because of how all the people who didn't know anything could suddenly get online and say "me too!"
Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Actually that left a bad taste in my mouth because I love my Kindle. But I think it's the same comparison. The people who hate the Kindle seem to be the same ones that say "Come on, writing a little script code isn't hard ya moron!!"
Right, again!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #14
Astropin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfeifle View Post
I can count at least three electronic devices that did NOT have a user replaceable battery that I HAVE replaced the battery on. It voids the warranty but if the battery is dead who gives a $h!#.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post

Hmm. I'm a unix/linux admin and these days, I mostly want my non-work stuff to "just work".

I would say that the Kindle is closer to the Sonos (music system) of mp3 playback than AOL. Sonos is expensive, and "just works". Before Sonos, I used a hacked xbox, a Roku Soundbridge, and a Slim Devices Squeezebox. But Sonos blows them all away with ease of use and drop dead gorgeous design (of the handheld). And combined with Rhapsody (and their newer partnerships) the instant gratification of browsing, searching and then playing almost any song on a whim anywhere in the house wirelessly is a dream.

If only Kindle was drop dead gorgeous.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote