Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
pleiadesc
Connoisseur
pleiadesc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you buy updated book editions?

Hello,

I notice in school textbooks that there are several editions of the same book, is it worth it to buy the latest update?

do you buy updated book editions? what are the advantages?

Thank you!
pleiadesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiadesc View Post
Hello,

I notice in school textbooks that there are several editions of the same book, is it worth it to buy the latest update?

Thank you!
You buy whatever edition the school is using.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you!
Often the questions/problems in the book have changed, and you need the same edition that the class uses in order to be able to do the assigned work correctly.

(It’s almost as though publishers know that courses assign work from the book, and make sure to change the problems to limit the used book market and force sales of new editions. )
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:29 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you!
You'll have the same edition the teacher is using? Not having the same edition as the teacher can be real fun as I learned at university when the new editions featured different page numbers and problems so I ended up borrowing classmates' books to work from after purchasing some used editions from the university bookstore. One of the new editions was much simpler since the new version was the old version with a 9 page errata section added after the appendices. Hmmm... I think that was my first step into the dark realm of copyright infringement courtesy of Xerox.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #5
pleiadesc
Connoisseur
pleiadesc began at the beginning.

Thank you everyone for the insight, I will get the same edition.
pleiadesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
As far as text books get the current edition. At many universities the textbook has the professor's name on it and is purposely changed every year or three to kill used book sales.

The other categories of regularly revised books include unabridged dictionaries, encyclopedias and Atlases. Nice to have the latest but unnecessary usually. The older editions are so much less expensive too if bought used from used book stores or Amazon.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Haven't been a student in many years, but most of the time, you need the latest edition. I ignored this for required novels. On the other hand, ask the instructor or instructor's assistant. I have some professors that were happy to try to save students money. Usually they didn't write their own books.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not having the same edition as the teacher can be real fun as I learned at university when the new editions featured different page numbers and problems
For greater fun, take a philosophy course where the textbook is translated from another language. Study for the exam, and discuss the material, only in terms of what was in the original language. Bonus points if the instructor can neither read nor speak the original language.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Slightly off topic but for books you get on amazon noticed you get updates for free when you go to your content and devices page
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree that you want the most up to date edition. Otherwise it would be like using an encyclopedia set from the 1980's say. Nothing since the release date will be in them and you will just make it that much harder on yourself to be learning the course. On the other hand the new edition may be just the old one with the formatting changed. To know that you would have to talk to the teacher. He/she has to know their own field of study.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:33 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I agree that you want the most up to date edition. Otherwise it would be like using an encyclopedia set from the 1980's say. Nothing since the release date will be in them and you will just make it that much harder on yourself to be learning the course. On the other hand the new edition may be just the old one with the formatting changed. To know that you would have to talk to the teacher. He/she has to know their own field of study.
Quite a few of the university texts I used were authored or co-authored by the person teaching the course. Hmmm... royalty from selling a new copy or let the student get away with buying a cheaper used edition. Decisions, decisions....
Old 03-07-2018, 12:35 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Slightly off topic but for books you get on amazon noticed you get updates for free when you go to your content and devices page
Does that also apply to new editions of text books? Most of what I saw in updated books from Amazon was grammar/typo corrections to an existing edition and not entirely new editions.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #13
tamil96
tamil96 began at the beginning.

You may purchase a book which is used by the teachers and school.
tamil96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Same as others say. Use what the teacher recommends.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I believe that it "depends". I had bought old Norton's books for English Lit & the books for American Lit classes for $5 each book at Borders & before I enrolled in the courses; think that they were only 1 or 2 editions old at the time of my having to use them. All reading assignments were in the old editions; I just did not think that the professors would add new stuff for reading assignments.

I also bought a old edition of Victorian literature from Powell's bookstore & had them send the book where the cost of shipping was double the cost of the book; BUT it was still lower than the over $100 used from the school bookstore; my cost of the used book was $10 for the book & $20 s&h. Only had 1 reading assignment where the newer edition expanded the material.

I do think that books for literature courses are more likely to have less changes than other topics; or Greek & Roman mythology.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote