Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
How to quickly and easily create newspapers, magazines, and blogs for your Kindle.

Without paying a cent. You will need Mobipocket Reader. Version 6.0 and earlier means you can export direct to Kindle, version 6.1 and higher means you can export to your memory card and then copy over to the Kindle.

How to create your newspaper/magazine/blog:

1. Find their RSS page. I found RSS pages for ALL Kindle store newspapers and magazines except one (Reader's Digest) and the ones I found were always more complete. I also found every blog of theirs I looked up (and I looked up quite a few).

Let's take The New York Times for example. Their RSS page is at http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/index.html

2. Now create an OPML file. Go to http://reader.feedshow.com/goodies/o...m-rss-list.php (bookmark that page, it is one of THE best Kindle tools around).

On the web page URL put in the NYT RSS page URL (http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/index.html) and click get links. When the empty space below populates, click on ".xml" and click filter. This gets rid of extraneous links. Then click on Create OPML. You will see a blank page. IT'S NOT REALLY BLANK!! This took me a while to figure out. On the "blank" page, right click and save as NYT.opml (or anything.opml), making sure to select save as All Files as you are adding your own file extension.

3. Now that you have your OPML file, go to Mobipocket Reader, click on eNews (left), Add eNews (on the top middle-right), Import eNews List, select your opml file (nyt.opml), and it will import all links.

4. Save your newspaper. Select All won't work but you can select the first feed, go all the way to the end, hold the Shift key while you select the last feed, and all feeds are now highlighted.

Right click, Send eNews to, and you can then select your Kindle or memory card. That's it! With MobiPocket 6 you can click Update & Sync and it puts all feeds into the Kindle automatically, and in the options you can choose to have it self-update throughout the date.

So to update your newspapers/magazines/blogs, connect the Kindle, update & sync, and done!

You might have to play a bit with the OPML creator because sometimes feeds end in something else that is not .xml. That's where the custom filter comes in handy. Through trial and error I've become kind of an advanced user of the OPML builder so if you have a tricky RSS page, let me know and I'll choose you how to pick the feeds and leave everything else behind

How to find feed pages? Google. "BCC RSS," "Time RSS," "Salon RSS," etc. It's all out there.

THE FOLLOWING IS VERY IMPORTANT: Having tons of feeds DRAINS YOUR BATTERY faster than Whispernet. I suggest you leave the Kindle connected to the wall and to the PC overnight, use Mobipocket 6.0, select to update in real time. As soon as you wake up, disconnect the Kindle from the PC but leave it connected to the wall. This gives it time to index the feeds (it does this with anything added to it in order to be able to provide the Search function).

I also recommend not having more than 100 or so feeds at a time (maybe 1 newspaper, 1 magazine, and 1 blog). I had over 1,000 and the battery lasted about 8 hours. Took me a few days to figure out where my battery was going.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-04-2008 at 04:39 PM.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to login to the NYT website to get full articles for many entries. Can't do that with mobipocket reader
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I've been doing it for weeks Try it! No Kindle needed, just a memory card. Some of them might give you partial content but a lot of their areas have the full content. Look at the PRC files instead of at the content through the Mobipocket Reader eNews links.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-04-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Good guide.

The only thing I'll say is that for popular sites, there is usually no need to creat an OPML file your self.

Just go to the eNews store and search for the site. The search is a bit primitive, and hit and miss at times, but I've usually found most if not all feeds already there.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
GatorDeb
Evangelist

This way is sooo much quicker, though. The NYT for example is 65 feeds... this is a lot easier than 65 clicks.
Advert