Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Fire 4th Generation

I have a Kindle Fire 4th Generation. Once a week it resets. I get optimizing system and then everything goes back to normal. I have to reopen the book I was reading but that is it. Is anyone else having this problem or just me? Asking here before contacting Amazon since it is usually a hassle.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:38 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There was an update to Fire OS (5.4.0.0) for 4th generation and newer devices released within the past week. Perhaps your device automatically installed it. If not you may want to try it to see if it helps with your problem.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-28-2017 at 07:32 AM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
which model do you have exactly ( "kindle fire" usually refer to the two devices launched in 2012
after that they begna calling them just " fire" )

the 2012 models cannot / will not uppdate to OS 5.x AFAIK
if you can post the exact model number ? identifier - which may be on the "about" page in settings, that will help

or look here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201263780

nb as per that page there is no such thing as a kindle fire 4th gen ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Turned on my Fire HD6 for first time in a few weeks and on startup it said 'optimizing system storage and applications', and then immediately downloaded the 5.4.0.0 update. After applying the update, it again 'optimized system..'. I have not been using it enough to know if this 'optimizing system' behavior is normal, but I'm guessing it is.

Note that in addition to System updates, there are more frequent Component updates, but these are more difficult to track as there are no details given or release notes, and maybe not even any notification. I've only discovered them by explicitly going to Check for Updates and applying them (for all I know they were going to apply automatically). Perhaps these trigger 'optimizing system' events as well.

That said, the update has made no appreciable improvements as far as I can tell.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
which model do you have exactly ( "kindle fire" usually refer to the two devices launched in 2012

if you can post the exact model number ? identifier - which may be on the "about" page in settings, that will help

or look here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201263780

Okay I see this when I go to Manage Devices and Content

Type FIRE HD 7

Serial Number 0093 ~Removed by Editor
I see this when I go to settings on my Kindle

Device Model Fire HD 7 (4th Generation)
Serial Number 0093 ~Removed by Editor

Last edited by Blossom; 07-03-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Privacy
Advert
Old 06-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There was an update to Fire OS (5.4.0.0) for 4th generation and newer devices released within the past week. Perhaps your device automatically installed it. If not you may want to try it to see if it helps with your problem.
I went to updates and according to what I clicked/touched it was up to date. I looked and it has 5.4.0.0
Old 06-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Turned on my Fire HD6 for first time in a few weeks and on startup it said 'optimizing system storage and applications', and then immediately downloaded the 5.4.0.0 update. After applying the update, it again 'optimized system..'. I have not been using it enough to know if this 'optimizing system' behavior is normal, but I'm guessing it is.

Note that in addition to System updates, there are more frequent Component updates, but these are more difficult to track as there are no details given or release notes, and maybe not even any notification. I've only discovered them by explicitly going to Check for Updates and applying them (for all I know they were going to apply automatically). Perhaps these trigger 'optimizing system' events as well.

That said, the update has made no appreciable improvements as far as I can tell.
By Component updates do you mean apps? I have very few apps, Calibre Companion, Moon + Pro Reader Color Dictionary, ES File Explorer File Manager. I do not have any games. I do not even use the Kindle for surfing the internet. It is only used for reading.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post

or look here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201263780

My 2nd gen Fire OS is 7.5.1... Confusing since you say it Cant got up to 5...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
My 2nd gen Fire OS is 7.5.1... Confusing since you say it Cant got up to 5...
If we are looking in the same place, My 1st Gen fire is 6.3.4.
So now I am confused to since last time I looked 6 and 7 were bigger than 5.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No Kidding!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Some of the early Kindle Fire's (1st, 2nd & 2.5th Gen) had larger numbers for their system/OS than later ones. Starting with the 3rd Gen Kindle Fire's (last gen to use Kindle in the name) and going forward to 4th Gen Fire, etc they started calling it "Fire OS" and using the current numbering...

1st Gen = 6.x
2nd Gen = 7.x
2.5th Gen = 8.x
They went up to 10.x, but I don't know for sure what got what as updates...

3rd Gen = 4.x (originally used Fire OS 3)
4th Gen = 5.x
5th Gen = 5.x
6th Gen = 5.x
7th Gen = 5.x

You can find a full list here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_O...re_OS_versions
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I don't believe the OS has a thing to do with "optimizing system"... My Fire 10.1 ...5th Gen is Always Optimizing System... No Updates. BUT it Never Lost the E-Book I am reading Nor Place I left off at.

OP I suggest you contact CS at Amazon & Ask to talk to a Tech. Even IF its Not in warranty they Can tell you whats wrong...
Old 06-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
By Component updates do you mean apps? I have very few apps, Calibre Companion, Moon + Pro Reader Color Dictionary, ES File Explorer File Manager. I do not have any games. I do not even use the Kindle for surfing the internet. It is only used for reading.
'Component' means 'Amazon software which you cannot remove'. Includes services without UI as well as Kindle, Audible, Video apps etc. To see a list go to Settings->Apps & Games->Manage All Applications and swipe over to ALL. This shows both installed apps and the Amazon 'components'. Tap on an item and you can see a version number, how much storage/data/cache it is using, etc.

Sometimes even when FireOS version is the same, component version can be different on different devices (even of same type). For example for some reason the Kindle app was not updating on my Fire and newer features like Page Flip were not there. Eventually it did update, however.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
On boot up Android optimizes apps that have been installed or updated since the last reboot so that they will launch quickly. The optimized files are stored in a cache. If you are low on storage on the device some of the optimized files will automatically be deleted to free up space. This will cause optimizing to occur again on the next reboot.

Fire OS calls updates to its pre-installed apps "component updates". This normally occurs automatically, but you can force it using the settings app. There is no user interface telling you what components were updated, but you can see what changed by dumping the system log using adb if you are technically inclined.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote