Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
technochitlin
technochitlin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Pro 12.9", Marvin 3 on both
calibre-server quit working

When I built a new computer which is running Win10 Creator's Update and the latest version of calibre (2.85.1), my calibre-server script which has been working fine for years no longer works. I have tried starting the server from the calibre program and it doesn't work either.

I have created entries in Windows Firewall for calibre-server, both in-and-outbound.

This is the command I use to start it:
calibre-server –port 8080 –with-library C:\Users\jay-d\OneDrive\Documents\calibre

I'm also getting that error message "Qt: Untested Windows version 10.0 detected!" and if I close that window the process stops.

Anyone have a clue what is happening? I'm pretty sure it was working before the last calibre update but I'm not sure, the updates come so fast...
technochitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't worry about the Qt: msg re Win 10.

But read this I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

To all intents and purposes, OneDrive, and similar cloud storage services, are a network drive.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
technochitlin

Interesting. Moved my calibre library back to my C: drive, and the behavior is exactly the same. Using System Explorer 7 (by Mister Group) as my Task Manager I did notice something else, though- instead of a "calibre-server" process being created after running the command (via a batch file), I have "cmd.exe" in my processes, showing the following parameters-

/c ""C:\My Utilities\calibrelib.bat" "

Note the weird double quotes. This is the batch file I run-

calibre-server –port 8080 –with-library C:\Users\jay-d\Documents\calibre

Strange, to say the least.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:16 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technochitlin View Post
Interesting. Moved my calibre library back to my C: drive, and the behavior is exactly the same. Using System Explorer 7 (by Mister Group) as my Task Manager I did notice something else, though- instead of a "calibre-server" process being created after running the command (via a batch file), I have "cmd.exe" in my processes, showing the following parameters-

/c ""C:\My Utilities\calibrelib.bat" "

Note the weird double quotes. This is the batch file I run-

calibre-server –port 8080 –with-library C:\Users\jay-d\Documents\calibre

Strange, to say the least.
Those 'weird double quotes" have been an idiosyncrasy of what one sees in Task Manager/Process Explorer etc for Windows batch/command files since the year dot.

Version 2.85.1 calibre-server is working fine here in using command files similar to yours. I suggest you run a Check Library on the library.

BR
Old 06-12-2017, 02:23 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It fails with what error? The message about Qt is not an error, just an information message.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I'm also getting that error message "Qt: Untested Windows version 10.0 detected!" and if I close that window the process stops.
Closing the window associated with a process usually terminates the process under Windows.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
technochitlin

After a couple of reboots, moving my library back to the C: Documents\calibre folder, and running a check on the database, it works again. That is great, though I hate it when I'm not sure why something quits working/starts working again. Not complaining though.

In the process of doing this I found an AutoHotkey script that not only hides the process, but hides the Qt error window:

PHP Code:
#NoTrayIcon ; To prevent momentary icon pop-up
run "C:\Program Files\calibre2\calibre-server.exe" –port 8080 –with-library C:\Users\jay-d\Documents\calibre,,hide 
Save that code (modified for yourself of course) as an .ahk script. Works like a champ.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
[. . .] though I hate it when I'm not sure why something quits working/starts working again [. . .].
Read the FAQ link I gave you in post #2. It explains why it stopped working. If you keep running OneDrive (a file syncing tool) and the calibre GUI concurrently it will almost certainly stop working again.

BR