Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
css question

I had a client send me a powerpoint document that I needed to convert to an epub. So I had to manually copy and paste all 95 pages into word then I converted to html, opened in Sigil took a few pages and assigned a font face with a few styles in Sigil. I need ed to embed font in the epub so I added the font and I was able to manually assign the styles to each paragraph and it looks fine.

Now I need to have the complete book display in the same font

here is the style that is the default
<p class="MsoNormal"><span xml:lang="EN-CA">

then the new style I added looks like this

<div class="generated-style" id="embedded-fonts">
<p class="letterOld sgc-1 sgc-9" xml:lang="en-us" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"><br /></p>

Going in to manually change all tags to the new style is not what I had in mind, I'm sure there is a way to do this where I can set the embedded font to display and THEN add any decoration like italics or bold for that font.

any help here ???

R
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Just a question, do you charge for code like that?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiedee View Post
Going in to manually change all tags to the new style is not what I had in mind, I'm sure there is a way to do this where I can set the embedded font to display and THEN add any decoration like italics or bold for that font.
Actually, it's fairly easy. Anyone with modest regular expression and html/css skills could do this in a couple of minutes.
Unfortunately, you lack skills in both departments and don't seem to be interested in learning about them.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Wow, didn't think that this would strike a cord about procedure. I do have html and css skills. I'm not looking for shortcuts or for someone to do work for me I'm just looking to get the job done correctly as when I'm stuck I always use this forum for help. if you look at my posts in the past you will see some are no brainers for experts and some are just my lack of looking into a certain situation more closely.

I get bogged down with a lot of projects and sometimes I forget simple or not so simple ways of coding.

In this case I already had done this but could not remember how for instance.

Do I really need to manually copy all the text from the powerpoint doc into word and convert to html?

Could I have just copied the text in to Sigil and added the font, then the css with the font face styles?

I'm looking into this now but did not want to be judged on learning how to do anything as knowledge is key and if I sometimes ask anal questions its not to offend or have someone judge that I'm just looking for someone to tell me what to do or the easy way out.

hope this clears up my intent here so if anyone is still interested in giving me a few pointers it would be helpful.

RD
Old 12-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not wanting to start a flame war here (besides, it is against the boards rules)

Mentioning the word client in a how do I.... (non-codeing type) question,
Is like waving a Red cape .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
ralphiedee
Zealot

Understood, forget the word "client" ( just sounds too professional in this case) lets just say this is for my knowledge only.

R
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
ralphiedee
Zealot

I just figured out how to do what I needed to do

created a css page with the styles

added the .ttf to the project
linked an xhtml page in sigil.

copied the text from the ppt right into Sigil

sorry for the trouble

thx

R
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

t'would be good if folks with paying "clients" could be made to contribute in exchange for the "free" help they get here. it does not feel right to give out free help which is then used in "for profit" situations..
it is very tempting to post that folks with "clients" should
a) "know" how to do the stuff that they are charging for
b) not expect to get bailed out for free.
c) and that "clients" should not pay good money to unqualified idiots - though I guess that is too much to expect.

it seems we have 3 classes of folks who post here:
1. amateur dabblers ( like me) who tweak for their own reason & would never dream of charging for their limited skills
2. real professionals, like H... , who are gracious enough to share their knowledge
3. rip - off merchants who think its OK to charge for NOT knowing how to do stuff & then come here for a free bail -out after they have messed up

If this does not apply to OP then apologies, but like others have have said - "client" is a red rag to a bull!

- as in my client has paid me to do this but I am clueless so please tell me how to.... so that I can make a quick buck...

Last edited by cybmole; 12-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I charge for my electronic repair work and don't mind helping one of my customers out. But I draw the line at helping somebody else charging for work in the same line. It is not hard to tell which is which....my customers ask different questions than other repairers do.

Other repairers can do what I did, read, read, read and experiment endlessly, hopefully not on a customer's item.

Also for doing e-books which I do for sheer amusement, I gladly study what someone else had done in the thousands of books in the MR library and modify it to fit my particular situation. Also most things can be converted to HTML which Calibre or Sigil will accept.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are plenty of professionals here and in the ePub forum that provide splendid help to others in these forum as well as asking questions. I understand the reluctance to help freeloaders but it doesn't hurt to share knowledge among us chickens.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I charge for my electronic repair work and don't mind helping one of my customers out. But I draw the line at helping somebody else charging for work in the same line. It is not hard to tell which is which....my customers ask different questions than other repairers do.

Other repairers can do what I did, read, read, read and experiment endlessly, hopefully not on a customer's item.

Also for doing e-books which I do for sheer amusement, I gladly study what someone else had done in the thousands of books in the MR library and modify it to fit my particular situation. Also most things can be converted to HTML which Calibre or Sigil will accept.
That sort of professional selfishness is actually counterproductive. Knowledge is there to be shared
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have no problem sharing knowledge. I'm just not sharing with anyone who's charging clients yet seeking help with the most rudimentary of html/css/epub questions. Charging a client for converting other proprietary formats to epub before you have the knowledge (or even a plan) to do so is also counterproductive... not to mention a bit sleazy.

Fortunately, those freeloaders are usually pretty easy to spot.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Deleted as this thread has wandered off topic.

Last edited by mrmikel; 12-09-2012 at 06:59 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
That sort of professional selfishness is actually counterproductive. Knowledge is there to be shared
If I may, I'd like to ask what you do for a living?

I don't want to be argumentative, but the idea that I should regurgitate 4-5 years' worth of work and effort and learning, on my part, into someone else's head, so that they can invoice a client to do a job for which they are not qualified, is a bit irritating. Or, rather, having it called "professional selfishness" is irritating.

I do this for a living. I've worked hard at creating gorgeous books. I work 12-16 hour days so that I, and my employees, can all manage to live, pay our rent, eat, etc. Now, this person is, not for the first time, here to get advice on how to do some very fundamental things, to make books for people he's charging. Things that, frankly, he should already know how to do if he's bruiting himself about as a "professional."

For one thing, this is precisely the type of behavior that tends to give conversion houses and formatters a bad name--people who have no freaking clue how to make an ebook, taking on the work. I get poorly-made books like this ALL the time to fix. Worse, people talk, and they talk on the internet, about how they could have done "conversion work" themselves, because the results they get from unqualified people are so poor. Now, your perspective, I take it, is that I should help this guy, so that his results aren't poor. My perspective is, his client should hire someone who is qualified to do the work.

eBook-making for money is capitalism. It's not altruism, it's not some "it takes a village"-type happy happy joy joy environment. Capitalism, for anyone that hasn't caught on yet, is Darwinism played with money. Put as politely as I can, and to stay within correct forum guidelines, this person has no business whatsoever offering his services for money. The fact that he thought he had to CUT AND PASTE a Powerpoint presentation into Word should say everything that there is to say, here. All of the questions he poses are basic, not advanced. Not some trickery of CSS; BASIC things he should already know before he starts charging.

I learned on my own time, and my own nickel. I am not going to educate this guy for free. Sorry, but I'm not. I have no issues whatsoever with sharing my knowledge and information on this forum, with fellow professionals, and fellow enthusiasts, as is easily seen--but neither I nor anyone else should be expected to do the heavy lifting for this guy while he bills some schmuck and learns on HIS nickel and MY experience. Sorry, but NO. If you want to answer all his questions on your time, knock yourself out. Then you can be as unselfish as you wish. But please don't presume to tell me that I have some obligation to donate my time to him. You may be as unselfish with your time as you want--it's pure presumption on your part to decide what I should or should not do with mine. My time has value.

</rant>

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

way to go, Hitch

+1

now explain again please, what these fully < angled brackets > do, & how much I should charge per bracket.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote