Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Complete brick?

When attempting to switch on my PRS-T1, all I get out of it is an almost instant orange flashing light at the power button. Display is frozen on Chapter 82 of some book and has not changed at all since this started happening. If I plug it into a Windows PC, nothing is recognized, no internal memory, no SD card, no unknown device in the device manager, nothing. The light turns solid red with still the blinking orange light. If I unplug the USB and press the reset button followed by the power button, the reader switches off after a few seconds (no more blinking orange light).

The rescue method with the rupor rescue OS firmware folder on root of SD card, and boot with home and menu buttons pressed does not work. Nothing happens other that the orange light starting to blink almost immediately...

I even replaced the battery. That didn't change anything. Tried all the reset methods I could find, absolutely no luck...

Anything I can try at this point?
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you actually try to charge the T1?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
daviddem
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you actually try to charge the T1?
Yes of course... left it on charge for 24 hours etc... Same-same...

I actually have not found any similar case reported on this forum or elsewhere... people somehow always manage to boot from SD card, but I can't... corrupted "BIOS"?
Old 09-07-2017, 02:35 AM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
How did you think the BIOS is broken?
If you care to search a bit, you'll find out that most "frozen states" are actually caused by defective (one way or the other) ePubs....
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:43 AM   #5
daviddem
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
How did you think the BIOS is broken?
If you care to search a bit, you'll find out that most "frozen states" are actually caused by defective (one way or the other) ePubs....
I doubt a defective epub would prevent booting from the sd card...
Old 09-08-2017, 01:23 AM   #6
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Try Porkupan's restore package. I had better luck with that when my reader was bricked. http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...estore-set.zip
You'll probably want to flash update your reader afterwards since it is based on an older firmware.

And not to be redundant, but here is the method: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS...C_sd_rescue.29

Last edited by DoctorM; 09-08-2017 at 01:28 AM.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #7
daviddem
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Try Porkupan's restore package. I had better luck with that when my reader was bricked. http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...estore-set.zip
You'll probably want to flash update your reader afterwards since it is based on an older firmware.

And not to be redundant, but here is the method: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS...C_sd_rescue.29
Tried and still no luck.. same symptom, when I try to boot from SD with home and menu depressed, the orange blinking light comes on immediately. I hold home and menu for 30 seconds to one minute, then leave the reader alone and the orange light keeps blinking forever, nothing else happens. No reaction on the display, no comms with computer via usb (red charging light comes on with orange light still blinking, but no device whatsoever is recognized by the computer)...

Guess it's dead... already bought a refurbished Kindle for $89, since I could not resolve to pay 180+ for a Kobo...
Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You had a T1 and you have all these ePub eBooks. You could have read them as is without the need to convert. And if you have access to Overdrive, you'll only get them in ePub. They won't work with a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
SandraLandis
SandraLandis began at the beginning.

Device: none
What happen? Did you try to debug the program?
SandraLandis is offline   Reply With Quote