Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Can this 'tag' go in a CSS?

Hi... have a very long book (over 3k pages in KP) and noticed many of the sub-chapter headings are orphaned with blank space and the text starting on the next page (usually when an image that accompanies the text is too large to be put on the previous page).

I don't want to create a sep HTML file for each sub-heading, so was going to use this:

<div style="page-break-before:always;"></div>

... to keep the heading with the text... But was wondering if it can be placed in the CSS somehow so I don't have to manually paste it into several dozen places in the book code? TIA

EDIT: Uh, I think I found the answer here. Sorry for the post but hope it helps someone else.

Last edited by Trane; 11-19-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: found answer, I think...
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
Hi... have a very long book (over 3k pages in KP) and noticed many of the sub-chapter headings are orphaned with blank space and the text starting on the next page (usually when an image that accompanies the text is too large to be put on the previous page).

I don't want to create a sep HTML file for each sub-heading, so was going to use this:

<div style="page-break-before:always;"></div>

... to keep the heading with the text... But was wondering if it can be placed in the CSS somehow so I don't have to manually paste it into several dozen places in the book code? TIA

EDIT: Uh, I think I found the answer here. Sorry for the post but hope it helps someone else.
With all due respect, I'm familiar with the problem--and big hunks of white space, on the original page, at the bottom, aren't any better than the heading languishing on one page with the text on the next. You're simply trading it off. Those of us that read eBooks really don't care about "orphaned" headings, (not really orphaned, but, as a descriptor) FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Yeah I had that concern too... (i.e. which would be worse)... figured it's not too big of an issue to readers, and no way to fix it that's satisfactory for all devices. Don't know why the conversion to Kindle creates those spaces when there's no reason (it seems) in some cases. In others I know it's due to a picture that follows that's too large to put in the previous page's white space. I might put some manual breaks in a few choice places to keep the heading with the picture and let the rest go. Thanks for the input.
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
Yeah I had that concern too... (i.e. which would be worse)... figured it's not too big of an issue to readers, and no way to fix it that's satisfactory for all devices. Don't know why the conversion to Kindle creates those spaces when there's no reason (it seems) in some cases. In others I know it's due to a picture that follows that's too large to put in the previous page's white space. I might put some manual breaks in a few choice places to keep the heading with the picture and let the rest go. Thanks for the input.
It has to do with the coding. You need to look into the margins (top/bottom), the div they're in, if they are, etc. In ebooks, like websites, one command almost always is not the culprit; it's a series of them (the cascading part).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote