Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 04:19 AM   #1
rupertbear
rupertbear began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Default Cover

Apologies if this has been discussed before, if so, I would be glad for any pointers.

I don't want to have individual covers on all the books in my library, I wish to have one design for all with only the book details differing. More of a cover/ex-libris combination.

What I am looking for is a solution where, whilst editing metadata, I can carry out an action similar to 'Generate Cover' but which automatically adds the current book details to the one standard design.

Is this possible? Has anyone achieved anything similar?
rupertbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:45 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertbear View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed before, if so, I would be glad for any pointers.

I don't want to have individual covers on all the books in my library, I wish to have one design for all with only the book details differing. More of a cover/ex-libris combination.

What I am looking for is a solution where, whilst editing metadata, I can carry out an action similar to 'Generate Cover' but which automatically adds the current book details to the one standard design.

Is this possible? Has anyone achieved anything similar?
Try the Generate Cover optional plugin ==>> Index of plugins

Same name, but different.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
rupertbear

Thanks, I installed that plugin but it appears to be geared towards creating individual covers - please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm after the facility to add the same design each time whilst editing metadata. I would guess that the way to achieve this would be to replace the six(?) standard designs with just one of my own. Would that be possible?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks, I installed that plugin but it appears to be geared towards creating individual covers - please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm after the facility to add the same design each time whilst editing metadata. I would guess that the way to achieve this would be to replace the six(?) standard designs with just one of my own. Would that be possible?
See ==> Overriding icons, templates, et cetera

There's another cover related optional plugin called something like Prettify Cover, no idea what it does, but you will not be able to use it from within the Metadata Edit panel.

Why are you fixated on doing it from the Metadata Edit panel?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No, it allows you to generate covers for a set of books. You select them, start the plugin, design the cover or choose one of the saved settings and press OK. Then a cover is generated for all books using the same cover.
Quote:
Have you looked at the option for "Generate cover"? You can select the styles, or create your own. And you can change what text is on the cover.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Edit metadata in bulk -> Generate default cover -> Configure cover generation

Just leave one style and color scheme checked and uncheck the rest.

If it's not already enabled, enable Save these settings as the defaults for future use

Note, the Generate Cover plugin does something similar but with a greater degree of customization.

P.S. I hadn't realized it before but if you right click on Generate cover in Edit metadata individually, you can change the cover generation settings there, too. Before, I had only tried left clicking on the tiny arrow and that just created the cover right away.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-09-2018 at 08:13 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
rupertbear

Thanks for the replies. I now have a much better idea of what I should be doing and should soon be able to achieve the result that I'm after.