Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #76
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
The PRS-350 and PRS-950 seem to be common based on ebay listings. The PRS-650 is the uncommon one. I can only presume that the PRS-650 cost close enough to the 950 price that relatively few were sold as purchasers went for the 950 with the larger screen. Looking for one. I have the T1, T2 and T3 too.
I noticed. A few sold in November and December on eBay -- none at all (so far) in January. Meanwhile 350s and 950s are fairly common. I'm guessing sooner or later a 650 will show up on eBay or Shop Goodwill ... or even (maybe) Craigslist. Maybe 650s are just more popular.

According to this press release (news), the 350 sold for $179, the 650 for $229 and the 950 for $299 ....

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...ers-announced/

Last edited by rcentros; 01-18-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added link.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #77
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

(I was going to post the link, but I think -- since it's "competition" to MobileRead -- I'm not supposed to do so. I'll send the link in a PM.)
Feel free to post such links.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #78
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I got my 650 via woot many years ago. $99 refurbished. It was my main ereader for about 6 years.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #79
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Years ago they had no competition.
Today there are at least 5 other major manufacturers, plus that with the appropriate software (app) one can read the books also on the tablet (android, ios or windows).
I am expecting the batteries in those rather old devices to be at the last mile or close.

I have T1, T2 and T3 almost by accident (first the T1 with 3rd party case; then I like it so much that I bought the T3 with the original case, both new; finally got the T2 for 4€, it was bricked by an presumptive attempt to upload the kobo FW in, but I restored it), they are good readers but they lack backlighting, and this is really a big trouble today.

I would not buy any other reader without this feature.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #80
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Feel free to post such links.
Okay, thanks. I've edited my post to include the link.
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #81
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I'm not a fan of my lighted ereaders. I turn the light off the vast majority of the time because I don't find it as easy to read with it on.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #82
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sony sold top quality product to.professionals and others who wanted the best. They and other Japanese electronics brands made impossible for US brands to complete. Now Japanese brands can't compete with lower cost made in China labor. I have Sony T1 reader was in some ways better than Kobo readers. Then Kobo readers new models had front light, and every other brand ereader but Sony didn't killing Sony ereader sales.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #83
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
IMO Sony tried to keep too many consumer use technologies proprietary like the file form for Sony ebooks and the Betamax video tape format. Technically superior to VHS but not enough so to get other than TV stations to use it due to equipment price. When Video stores stopped carrying movies in Betamax it was pronounced dead for home use. When the Sony readers did not introduce lighted screens and competitive prices to compete with Kindle and Kobo they lost most of the USA market. Most except the PRS-950 were made in China just like their competition. The 950 was an exception but I am not sure if any others were. All the T series were also plastic cased, again like the competition.

Last edited by Richwood; 01-18-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:47 AM   #84
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
US Navy used Betamax to show ship board movies for crew replacing 16mm motion picture film.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 AM   #85
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I'm not a fan of my lighted ereaders. I turn the light off the vast majority of the time because I don't find it as easy to read with it on.
Same here. I don't worry about it since there are so many good non-front-lit eReaders available.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:22 AM   #86
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
IMO Sony tried to keep too many consumer use technologies proprietary like the file form for Sony ebooks and the Betamax video tape format. Technically superior to VHS but not enough so to get other than TV stations to use it due to equipment price. When Video stores stopped carrying movies in Betamax it was pronounced dead for home use. When the Sony readers did not introduce lighted screens and competitive prices to compete with Kindle and Kobo they lost most of the USA market. Most except the PRS-950 were made in China just like their competition. The 950 was an exception but I am not sure if any others were. All the T series were also plastic cased, again like the competition.
I agree with you here. Sony even had their own proprietary memory cards.

I didn't even realize that the 950 was made in Japan instead of China until you mentioned it. I like the 950's build quality, but I'm thinking it might be too big to use much. I've been reading a book by alternating between the 350 and 950 and, even though I like the 950's two column view, over all I like the 350 better. So small and easy to carry. The 950 feels almost like holding a tablet. A sleek, light tablet, but still a tablet.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-19-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #87
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
But you something to OFF and of course to ON when the lighting conditions worsen (like in the evening, or in darker corners of a lobby or or or).

Why do you think reading lamps were sales hits year after year (until everyone start reading from facebook instead of real, true, paper books)?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #88
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
But you something to OFF and of course to ON when the lighting conditions worsen (like in the evening, or in darker corners of a lobby or or or).

Why do you think reading lamps were sales hits year after year (until everyone start reading from facebook instead of real, true, paper books)?
Except, if Hemmi is like me, we can't focus properly using a front-lit eReader. Something to do with the lighting layer, according to one educated guess (which makes sense to me). I don't know about turning off the front light altogether. The two front-lit eReaders I own (have owned) are a Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight and (did own) a Kobo Glo. Both were "murky" (had low contrast) without the light. But I hear the newer devices are brighter without the light (those devices where the light can be turned off). Thing is, if I can't comfortably use the light anyhow, why get one with the feature? My E-Luminator and/or lighted Kindle cases work well for me.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #89
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
US Navy used Betamax to show ship board movies for crew replacing 16mm motion picture film.
I am old enough to remember the 16mm movies. Vietnam veteran, got out in 1972.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #90
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I agree with you here. Sony even had their own proprietary memory cards.

I didn't even realize that the 950 was made in Japan instead of China until you mentioned it. I like the 950's build quality, but I'm thinking it might be too big to use much. I've been reading a book by alternating between the 350 and 950 and, even though I like the 950's two column view, over all I like the 350 better. So small and easy to carry. The 950 feels almost like holding a tablet. A sleek, light tablet, but still a tablet.
Still a lot smaller than the Kindle DX which is still one of my favorite ebook readers for home use.