Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #46
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
No doubt it is possible to sanitize (or change) the server-bound traffic via some proxy.

But incompetence could easily be behind this, i.e. somebody forgot to throw a compiler switch to turn these 'diagnostics' off. I could see them as very useful during testing, which would explain the lack of encryption. Whereas if the intent was to spy, or 'collect usage data', it would need to be encrypted and users would need to be informed.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-07-2014 at 05:39 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #47
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Sadly, all this means is that Adobe will continue to spy on the content of your computer, but they'll send it over a secured and encrypted session.
Au contrarire. The article states:

Quote:
Adobe is gathering data on the ebooks that have been opened, which pages were read, and in what order. All of this data, including the title, publisher, and other metadata for the book is being sent to Adobe’s server in clear text.

I am not joking; Adobe is not only logging what users are doing, they’re also sending those logs to their servers in such a way that anyone running one of the servers in between can listen in and know everything,[sic]
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #48
dmck
dmck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This really bugs me! People with books on health, family, finance or whatever, which they wanted to keep private have now shared that with Adobe and any other party that happen to listen in on the communication.

Time to edit your hosts file so that information isn't sent to adobe...

Windows:
Double click on C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (edit with Notepad or Wordpad) and add:
127.0.0.1 adelogs.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 192.150.16.235

Linux:
you know where it is. :-)

Mac:
No idea how...

Last edited by dmck; 10-07-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added the ip address for adelogs.adobe.com
dmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #49
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
what will that alteration do?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #50
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
what will that alteration do?
It's sort of a poor (or ignorant in a kind sense) person's outgoing firewall. All packets going to that the IP address for that hostname will go to your computer instead. This may or may not be benign. For HTTP, it probably will not do any harm.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #51
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's sort of a poor (or ignorant in a kind sense) person's outgoing firewall. All packets going to that the IP address for that hostname will go to your computer instead. This may or may not be benign. For HTTP, it probably will not do any harm.
Doing this became popular in the mid to late 1990s. It was frowned upon and discouraged by some because of the potential delays and other problems, notably timeouts. But in practice, it often sped up web browsing because doubleclick's servers were frequently overloaded. I remember staring at wait cursors for long periods, giving up and clicking cancel, only to have pretty much the entire page rendered instantly. The browser was waiting for the image from doubleclick to arrive before rendering anything at all.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #52
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Isn't scanning your computer without permission illegal like opening and reading someone's mail? Even the government would need a warrant. How could a business get away with it? Is this a sueable invasion of privacy?
I'm sure Adobe's lawyers have had a good, long internal chat about this. I would be surprised if they aren't in the clear, at least according to American law. Now, German law, for instance, is probably a different matter. The Germans have extremely consumer-centric privacy laws, as do a few other European countries. This practice will very likely not be legal over here.

Furthermore, this goes against what users would expect the software to do. Gathering this info and sending it off without adding user value (in fact, actively hiding it by not doing anything visible locally within the software itself), all this without asking permission, is not what most users would deem reasonable. Since discovery of this gathering of information is virtually certain, Adobe must expect a significant payout from doing it, outweighing the PR fallout they must surely be expecting. I don't know what this payout might be, although a few ideas spring to mind.

So, while I should probably boycott these bastards, I'll still keep trying to give authors my money for books I enjoy. I know it's kind of silly considering the abuse the industry is continuing to target its legitimate customers with, but there it is.

I will not, however, knowingly give Adobe my calibre library metadata (apparently along with everything else they can get their hands on). I'm currently using ADE 2.0, but will take measures with that as well even though the cat is likely out of the bag already. Which sandboxing strategy is sufficient to protect against this with a minimum of hassle? I liberate all my books, and will never knowingly buy a book which I can't decrypt. Is something like Sandboxie sufficient, or am I looking at running ADE in a Windows VM? Any tips are welcome
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #53
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I knew there was a good reason I never wanted to install Adobe. Now I never will. Isn't scanning your computer without permission illegal like opening and reading someone's mail? Even the government would need a warrant. How could a business get away with it? Is this a sueable invasion of privacy?
In all likelihood, you give permission when you click the Accept button on the installer without reading the terms of service. It's slimy and unethical, but not illegal, if you agree to it.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #54
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
It might be worth bearing in mind Amazon is just as bad, you might remember Amazon removing 1984 (of all books) from peoples kindles remotely.
blackest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #55
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackest View Post
It might be worth bearing in mind Amazon is just as bad, you might remember Amazon removing 1984 (of all books) from peoples kindles remotely.
Ridiculous comparision. Not even close in any way. You might as well say your post is just as bad because you mispunctuated "people's."
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #56
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackest View Post
Amazon removed a book bought from their store from peoples' Kindles when it turned out the book was being illegally sold, and that is comparable to Adobe scanning your hard drive for books that never came from them???

Sure, and Bezos eats little babies too...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #57
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I only use Sony Reader for PC, v2.2.00.11270, to download all my epubs, DRM + DRM free and library books. It is ADE authorised.

I've just checked and I can't find this version still available via a google search - others may be lucky and find it to share.

Each time I open it I am invited to upgrade to v4 - because that version links in with Kobo (who bought Sony eBooks). I choose not to upgrade.

I never have to open my ADE app and don't.

Is using Sony Reader for PC an alternative that others may be interested in?

Can Adobe track via Reader for PC?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have the ADE 2.x installer, back it up in triplicate in case you cannot get it any longer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #59
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Au contrarire. The article states:

Quote:
Adobe is gathering data on the ebooks that have been opened, which pages were read, and in what order. All of this data, including the title, publisher, and other metadata for the book is being sent to Adobe’s server in clear text.

I am not joking; Adobe is not only logging what users are doing, they’re also sending those logs to their servers in such a way that anyone running one of the servers in between can listen in and know everything,[sic]
I believe what he was saying that by bringing it to Adobe's attention, they will not stop the activity, they'll only encrypt it to make it less obvious what they're doing.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #60
dmck
dmck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's sort of a poor (or ignorant in a kind sense) person's outgoing firewall.
Poor man's solution? Ignorant? Hardly. Outgoing firewall's are useless for most people. On the other hand, the hosts file is a low cost, no software installation method which already exists on your PC to route (or block) ip addresses or hostnames.
dmck is offline   Reply With Quote