Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
sashagregor
sashagregor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another Newbie

Hello! I plan to get a Kindle 3 soon, and have begun investigating the ins and outs of everything.

I happen to be a student of sorts, and I do extensive studying from sets of esoteric pdf books. Previously, I had been printing these pdfs one-by-one, and having them comb-bound as I had the money. After a few years, not only has the cost been adding up, but my bookshelves are now crowded with floppy (and difficult to identify) comb and spiral bound books. Also, when I want to search a particular book, I find I have to go back to the computer and open up a pdf file to find the particular book I'm looking for, then go back to my bookshelf to find the book in question.

I think the Kindle will help me a lot, as I can have dozens of my esoteric books in one place, and I can also key word search for particular information.

I am using a Macbook, and downloaded the Calibre program to begin converting my many pdf files. I'm not very pleased with how they are converting, so I think I'll pop over to the Calibre forum and ask some questions there.

That's all! for reading this far!
sashagregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi sashagregor and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Welcome to Mobileread!

One thing you might want to look into is how the Kindle handles pdf searches.

Kindle will search all its mobi format (.mobi, .prc, .azw) books for a given word or phrase.

So if I want to search for "feral horse" I can search all my mobi format books at once, and my Kindle makes a list of books in order of how many times the term occurs (say "Misty of Chincoteague" has it 14 times, "Wild Horses of the West" has it 12 times, "Feral Livestock: Problems And Solutions" has it 3 times and "Letters from the West" has it once, I'll see them listed in that order.) If I click on a title, I get a list of samples (about 3 lines of text) of each place "feral horse" occurs in that book.

However as I understand it, if these books were all in pdf format, it wouldn't work that way. I would have to enter each book, and then search just inside that book, so I'd have to search "Misty of Chincoteague" "Wild Horses of The West" etc one at a time. And if I forgot that "Letters From The West" had a mention of "feral horse" I'm out of luck, unless I enter and search every book just on spec.

Now, my understanding may be behind the times. Every year or so I go back and check, because the day the Kindle has cross-document search of pdfs is the day it becomes really useful for handling science papers. But I haven't checked recently.

But if you're planning to use a lot of pdfs, you might want to check this. Of course, if you're going to convert all your pdfs to .azw there should be no problem :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Sasha. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ….

Do pop into the Kindle Forum for all the tips and tricks.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to MR !
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote