Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
SkipTracy
SkipTracy began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Display Book Tect in normal font

I have been using Calibre for a while now mainly to as a reader but also as format converter and exporter. I only do simple things.

The problem I am posting about is viewing (reading) an e-book that persistently displays in bold font (apparently) All of the 170 other books I have read in the caliber e-book reader have opened with a perfectly ordinary TNR font but not this one. Do how do I force to read in like the all others ? IDK how to set the CSS to ordinary font as opposed to bold I can force for example the Quick start guide to read in bold, and back to normal (by deleting the CSS for that book), but not force a book whose default opening is bold to read in normal

I can't find anything in the manual and the help question mark in my copy of caliber doesn't do anything

Simple answer please

SkipTracy
2.April.2018
SkipTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Open the file in the editor, click on the .css file at the left, and delete all lines that say:

font-weight: bold;

If you don't want to remove the boldness for the title page or chapter numbers, open one of the html files for the paragraph text and find the class code for the paragraph text. Then go back to the .css file and remove the font-weight: bold; line for that class (or you can change the bold to normal, but it's probably quicker to just delete that line).
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
SkipTracy

Thanks for your answer, deback
How do I open the book in the editor ?
I have calibre 1.7 and I am informed by a small message at the bottom right of the calibre screen that an update to ver 3.2.0 is available. Is this the first problem ? If it is I get as far as the get update button, click on it and nothing seems to happen....(W7)

SkipTracy
2.April.2018
Old 04-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
SkipTracy

So I got round the problem about updating caliber and I'm now running ver 3.2.0
I am able to open and edit the offending book because I have it in epub
I searched through the first 5 sections of the book for the word "bold", recognising some the text as I did so. The were no occurrences of "font-weight: bold" but it did occur in conjunction with the words "class" and "span" many times. Also on the cover page I noticed a command (<style type="text/css" title="override_css">).

SkipTracy
2.April.2018
Old 04-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
SkipTracy

OK, found it in the stylesheet, commented it out and it's not bold now.
Thanks for the tip
Test is bit close now though

SkipTracy
2.April.2018
Old 04-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipTracy View Post
OK, found it in the stylesheet, commented it out and it's not bold now.
Thanks for the tip
Test is bit close now though

SkipTracy
2.April.2018
You're welcome.

Yup, the bold CSS class is in the .css file.

Don't know what you mean by "Test is bit close now though." Please fix any typos in that sentence, and I'll try to help you with whatever problem you're still having.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Probably in the same place where you removed Bold in the css file, you can try

Code:
  letter-spacing: 1px;

https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_text.asp
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #8
SkipTracy

Thank you deback and phossler
commenting out that part of the stylesheet was all I needed to do
re: "Test is bit close now though." - typo 'Test' for 'Text'
Thanks for the tip phossler - I saw that in my reading but I understand its meaning and necessity

SkipTracy
6.April.2018