Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
asterisk
asterisk began at the beginning.

Device: mpme
Being Picky, don't know how to go with

Hi guys.

I've wanted an ebook reader for a while now, and I was looking into Sony PRS-505 in the past, unfortunatly now it's discontinued and I see no justification paying $300 for such an old model.

Last week I started looking into buying one. So I checked out Sony store which had 300 and 600 models. PRS-300 is too small, should be called a "post it note reader". The 600 has everything I want, except the touch screen and not so good screen. I was convincing myself that 600 is the one I should go with and I would get used to the glare on the screen. So today I went to the Sony store again, and I've looked at quality of screen on 300 and 600 for about 10 minutes, and I can't seem to accept such a poor display 600 has. It screams in your face, that you're reading thru a layer of touch screen, it does have some glare but it's the least of the problems.

Kindles are overrated, don't like the style.

Nook I suspect will be very limited in supported file formats, its not really a universal ebook reader, it's dedicated "B&N ebook reader aka buy our stuff" it seems.

I saw Jetbook, very slow, not even considering.

Bunch of Handlin type platform ripoffs, not serious.

I wanted to get one before the christmas, but now I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?
asterisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As you can see from my profile on the left, I have numerous eBook readers; the Sony PRS-600 is the best of the lot by a long way in terms of general flexibility and all-round features. The screen quality is a complete "non issue" - IMHO, at least. Shop lighting is far from ideal for judging these things. I have never found any "real world" situation where the screen cannot be angled to be perfectly clear and readable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
asterisk, the PocketBook 301 seems to be highly thought of here. I think it costs $50 more than its 6" competitors, but its firmware has the best reputation.

I've never seen one; I'm just going on the word of mouth around here. You might look into it before you make your decision.

The jetBook has the reputation here of being speedy, not slow. I'm surprised you feel about it the way you do.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Star56
Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle, Sony Psr-300, Sony Psr-505
Perhaps recomider the 505. I just purchased two of them in the last month. The closest thing to paper/ink out there in 6 inches.
Star56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With respect, though, the screen is no particular reason to recommend the PRS-505 - it is exactly the same screen that every other 6" eInk device on the market uses.
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
asterisk

Thank you for your replies guys.

Like I said, I do not see justification in paying $300 for Sony 505 such an old model, and its availablity is very limited. I'd like this to be a long term investment, it's like buying a 3 year old PC today for the price it was 3 years ago. I may know it's good, and reliable, but it's old.

The PRS-600, is the one I was thinking about, and I love its features, it's speed etc. the glare on the screen is ok, it's the layer of touchscreen glass problem that removes the contrast and distorts the text enough to notice it. It really impairs the quality of e-ink screens. I read through it for about 5 minutes, I didn't forget once I'm reading through touch screen during this time.

You may have a point about the lighting, I may go to Staples where they have better lighting, and see if they have it on display.

After all I think PRS-600 is the best universal reader out there at the moment there in terms of features, but so far couldn't convince myself that anything with "Book reader" in it's name would be not as crisp as 505 screen.

Maybe I'll try the 600 for the 3rd time, in the meanwhile I'm researching other models posted here. thanks.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
asterisk

Well, I was browsing the internet and came across a very nice deal for sony prs-600 at wallmart. At this price I couldn't have passed it even with not being happy with screen quality I'll try to get used to it.

For those who are interested:

go to http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/stores.aspx

Walmart cashback 15%

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=12425708

Sony PRS600 VALUE PACK for $278 and that includes a free sony brown case.

Compare with 298 + 28.88 = 326

-----

I paid 278 + 24.79 tax + 0.97 shipping = 303.73 -15% cash back = $258

For those interested in CHEAP 505 that can store pick up from frys ( too bad i"m nto near there)

$209 - hard to beat, will not last long

http://www.frys.com/product/5432609
http://www.frys.com/product/5748422
http://www.frys.com/product/5432629
Old 11-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
Star56
Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle, Sony Psr-300, Sony Psr-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With respect, though, the screen is no particular reason to recommend the PRS-505 - it is exactly the same screen that every other 6" eInk device on the market uses.
With all due respect Harry, if you are serious, then you do not know what you are talking about.

I own 2 Kindle 1's and owned a Kindle 2 untill I sent it back.

The K2 screen was a murky greenish hue with faded text. I am not the only one who had such a K2...there are many others with the same complaint.

I have the two K1's side by side with the 505 ( I now have two of these) and the 300, I have the same Philip K. Dick book loaded (from Amazon). The differences are significant. The Sony's have a much "whiter" look to them with far better contrast than the Kindles. They do not look the same...not even close.

Last edited by Star56; 11-27-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Star56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
snowcandy
snowcandy began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post
With all due respect Harry, if you are serious, then you do not know what you are talking about.

The K2 screen was a murky greenish hue with faded text. I am not the only one who had such a K2...there are many others with the same complaint.

I have the two K1's side by side with the 505 ( I now have two of these) and the 300, I have the same Philip K. Dick book loaded (from Amazon). The differences are significant. The Sony's have a much "whiter" look to them with far better contrast than the Kindles. They do not look the same...not even close.
I have to agree with the 505 having a gorgeous screen. I own an Astak PP and though it may not be a 6", being my first reader I was lead to believe that the screen was great. That was before I've decided that I'd prefer a 6" instead and got the 505.

Before owning it, I never did understood why do people boast about the 505's screen clarity. But now after owning a 505, I'm probably never going back to my Astak PP.
snowcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

The eInk screens have a "bias" adjustment that is apparently unique to each screen. This is adjusted/set when the device is manufactured, from what I understand, so it is reasonable to believe that different settings (or individual differences) could result in overall differences between models even when using the same display type.

Other perceptual differences are caused by font selection. To me the 505 does appear with slightly more contrast than my Kindle2 and significantly more than my Astak PP (5") and significantly more than the Sony 300 that I compared it against at the Sony Style Store.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcandy View Post
I have to agree with the 505 having a gorgeous screen. I own an Astak PP and though it may not be a 6", being my first reader I was lead to believe that the screen was great. That was before I've decided that I'd prefer a 6" instead and got the 505.

Before owning it, I never did understood why do people boast about the 505's screen clarity. But now after owning a 505, I'm probably never going back to my Astak PP.

Yep. My Astak PP pretty much sits here on the shelf. I may re-gift it for Christmas...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

You can see from my profile to the left that I currently have a number of eInk devices: comparing the screen of, say, the Kindle and the CyBook Gen3, the screen look absolutely identical. Given the fact that they are the same screen; made in the same factory, on the same production line, this is hardly surprising.

Yes, such things as the individual contrast adjustment and the fonts used by different manufacturers can make a difference, but it does not change the truth of my statement: that all 6" devices use the same eInk screen.