Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
The only problem with the new Touch is...

...that it tempts me away from reading with all the other features.

I haven't read much since I got my new Touch; have just been playing games and surfing.

Will anyone else admit to this, or am I just not a hardcore enough reader?
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Same problem exists with the iPhone and iPad. It's a pretty common phenomenon that's been mentioned before in here. Some of the "ooh, shiny!" new toy effect will wear off eventually. Still, I find it easier to settle in for a longer reading session with either my Kindle or a paper book--the iPad has too many potential distractions, and even with the retina screen on the iPhone 4, i find it's too small for long sessions of reading comfortably.

Enjoy your new goodie!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Well, I don't have the *new* iPod Touch (4G), but I did just get a refurbished 3G Touch and can't stop playing Falling Gems! I have done some reading on it, as well, and I'm pleased with it, since the original reason I got it was to use as a back-up to my Nook.

Amazing devices, all of them!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The touch is too small to read from. Itll do for short articles though.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post

I haven't read much since I got my new Touch; have just been playing games and surfing.

I'll admit to it. Except the proper way to say it is "have just been surfing MobileRead all day". That way everyone forgives you.

Cheers,
Marc (This message is brought to you by MobileRead: YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
babs_johnson
filthiest person alive!
babs_johnson began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-900
Respectfully, I disagree. I read all the Sookie Stackhouse books on the touch and its fine..in fact its extremely easy to hold in one hand and change pages using the same hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
babs_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Is retina display on touch(4G) same as the one on iPhone4? Some body told me the other day display on touch is not as good as one on iPhone 4.

TIA
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Is retina display on touch(4G) same as the one on iPhone4? Some body told me the other day display on touch is not as good as one on iPhone 4.

TIA
The "retina display" is just a marketing gimmick Apple uses for a 960x640 resolution. Both the touch and the iPhone have this resolution.

What's different though is the display technology. Both use TFT LCD displays, which are available in different types. The touch uses TN (twisted nematic) I believe, while the iPhone uses IPS (in-plane switching). IPS is more expensive and gives you better viewing angles. I have no idea if it's inherently better than TN. Shoot, Apple's old 480x320 displays from last year looked good to me.

The question I have is why does a phone need a better viewing angle than a media player? IOW, why did the iPhone get this technology and the touch not?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
The question I have is why does a phone need a better viewing angle than a media player? IOW, why did the iPhone get this technology and the touch not?
Could it be that Apple gets more money overall from the iPod through contracts than the iTouch?
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Could it be that Apple gets more money overall from the iPod through contracts than the iTouch?
Hard to say. It costs Apple around $215 to make a 32GB iPhone 4. I have no idea what they sell it to AT&T for. Unsubsidized, they rake you over the coals and sell it for an obnoxious $699.

Meanwhile, a 32GB iPod touch costs Apple around $200 to make. They sell it for $299.

Until we know what Apple charges AT&T for the iPhone, we can't compare the profit margins on the two devices.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post

No wonder, the screen is to small, the reading experience is awful with the shiny screen. Get yourself a nice eink reader with pearl screen and you can enjoy reading and start getting a hardcore reader
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. But I admit that I only read about 10-20 pages at a time on mine. Believe it or not, but that high resolution display makes a huge difference. One could not guess how good it is just by the size and the fact that it is LCD. Still, no comparison to a "proper" e-ink display for reading.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
JeremyZ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
No wonder, the screen is to small, the reading experience is awful with the shiny screen. Get yourself a nice eink reader with pearl screen and you can enjoy reading and start getting a hardcore reader
Again, I wouldn't say it is an awful reading experience. More like 'fair' or 'good.' It is just like your iPad, except it requires more page-turning or holding it closer to one's face. It is the Swiss Army Knife of e-book readers: not always the perfect tool for the job, but it gets the job done when one is on the go.

As a point of reference for the screen resolution, even though it is small (for an e-book reader) one can read an entire web page worth of info without scrolling. Yes, the font is small, but the resolution is there.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I bought a Touch just for books and music. Works well for me, because my eyesight is fine. I don't like using public wi-fi, so I'm not tempted to surf on Touch. Games hold no appeal for me, so no problem. I also find surfing on a Touch or iPhone annoying, because the screen is too small for navigation and full display. That's especially the case because iPad has spoiled me. I use iPhone to look stuff up on the go, rather than really surf.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
iPhone 4 vs. iPod touch 4G Videos: Display + Camera Quality Test

iPhone 4 vs. iPod touch 4G Videos: Display + Camera Quality Test

nice comparison info here:

Code:
http://obamapacman.com/2010/09/iphone-4-vs-ipod-touch-4g-videos-display-camera-quality-test/
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote