Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Top Kill is Killed

Looks like they have finally admitted that it isn't/didn't work:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...SxVPAD9G0M3BO3

"COVINGTON, La. — As the nation remained transfixed by a busted oil well spewing millions of gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico, BP said Saturday that its latest bid to plug the worst oil spill in U.S. history still hadn't worked and scientists suggested any progress was incremental at best.

BP PLC chief operating officer Doug Suttles told reporters Saturday in Port Fourchon that the effort known as a "top kill" has not stopped the flow of oil, and that he doesn't know if the risky maneuver will succeed. He said the company was already preparing its next option to cap the well...."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
(Post deleted, please ignore.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They may go back to trying putting something over the top again....the thing that failed before...

Sheesh!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
GAAH!!!

This crap is getting scarier and scarier everyday. How much marine life has been killed already???

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
GAAH!!!

This crap is getting scarier and scarier everyday. How much marine life has been killed already???

All of it?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
There has to be a statistic somewhere.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
There has to be a statistic somewhere.
I'm sure we'll get some estimates soon, but that number is even more difficult to determine than the amount of oil leaked/spilled....

I know the wildlife societies I belong to have been calling for help (money and volunteers) for weeks now.

This is totally devastating to the communities and people that depend on the gulf for making a living -- oil, seafood, tourism and now here come the hurricanes!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
One wag on a news show suggested they take the board of directors of BP and stuff them in one by one until the leak stops. If that doesn't work, start at the top of the BP salary chain and work your way down until the hole is plugged.

I fervently hope they rescue breeding pairs of the brown pelicans and move them inland fast.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The harm mankind can do to its host planet (the only one we can live on so far) for profit, convenience or fun scares the bloody pants off me. If I was to come back to life in 100 years as a representative of my generation (I do not believe the world will actually end in December 2012), I could not but blush at the words thrown my way ... I could certainly not excuse our abuses. CONSIDER THE CHILDREN. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
One wag on a news show suggested they take the board of directors of BP and stuff them in one by one until the leak stops. If that doesn't work, start at the top of the BP salary chain and work your way down until the hole is plugged.

I fervently hope they rescue breeding pairs of the brown pelicans and move them inland fast.
Now there's an idea!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
The harm mankind can do to its host planet (the only one we can live on so far) for profit, convenience or fun scares the bloody pants off me. If I was to come back to life in 100 years as a representative of my generation (I do not believe the world will actually end in December 2012), I could not but blush at the words thrown my way ... I could certainly not excuse our abuses. CONSIDER THE CHILDREN. Neil
In addition to the environment, I'm concerned about those bloody pants....are you okay?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Now even the free market always knows best crowd are demanding a government takeover of the problem.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
kennyc

And I was just reading that a government official was saying it may be AUGUST before it can be stopped.....holy sh*t!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
kennyc

Latest from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/31/us/31spill.html

"After the failure of an effort to seal off a well spewing oil one mile beneath the Gulf of Mexico, a top Obama administration environmental official said the government is “prepared for the worst” in case oil keeps gushing until relief wells are finished sometime in August. "

Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
Maybe we should listen to the Russians a bit...
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote