Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many freebies did you download for 'Read an Ebook Week'?
Between 1-10 34 38.20%
Between 11-25 10 11.24%
Between 26-50 4 4.49%
More than 50 8 8.99%
None. Didn't know/was not interested 33 37.08%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How many free ebooks did you download for Read an Ebook Week?

I had such fun with the freebies over at Smashwords. I downloaded (slowly---they must be getting a ton of hits!) anything that looked remotely interesting and I plan to go back and tip the authors for the ones I wind up enjoying. I am a little embarrassed to admit how many new books I got!

I was especially pleased to get the two first books in the series by Connie Shelton, they looked interesting before but she never had any of it for sample so I ignored. Now, I can try them out! There was also an anthology called 'Scairy Tales' that looked interesting.

So, how about the rest of you, how many freebies have you downloaded? Any you are particularly looking forward to?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Not downloaded any yet, Ficbot, but my own wee indie publishing house had 200 downloads of our titles in the first 24 hours ... an impressive number voluntarily paid for. This week of all weeks, our own website is down for reconstruction, so we're working through Smashwords this year (see my sig below). As you say, the SW site seems very sluggish just now. It's probably down to a huge and sudden increase in traffic. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
None. I'm getting a bit tired of free downloads and would like to go back to choosing my own reads Besides, I am in a re-reading period and haven't bought anything new lately, and what I bought before that I haven't read yet.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
A few from Smashwords and a couple from links authors have posted here, but not much else. Seems many of the participating partners listed really aren't offering anything they say they are (discount or free books) I tried all the links from http://www.ebookweek.com/partners.html and it isn't easy navigating many of the sites to even find what they have offered for the week or when you do find it, it doesnt match discount price offered.

One site in particular, http://www.thecircleoffriends.net/, has not offered the "free book" listed which I had been very interested in getting. I have been telling my niece she could borrow my reader for a few days to see if she liked it enough to buy and I thought that book would be a great read for her

Also, these sites: http://www.rosedogbookstore.com/ , http://redleadbooks.com/ , & http://www.dorrancebookstore.com/ want a lot of info (name, address, phone number) and then end up giving books such as Property Owner's Sewer and Drain Guide You do not get any info on what free books they are offering, no title or subject, nothing, until you give them your name, address, phone number and email address
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I haven't downloaded any yet, but I plan to. So many to choose from!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
One so far, but I'm just getting started

Seriously though, I plan on at least trying to keep it to 10 or less, I have so many books in the queue that I could stop adding new ones now and still end up 9 months of reading to do.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I can't help myself. I answered based on my estimation of how many ebooks I might still download this week. Yikes.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I downloaded 23 today from Smashwords...some from the regular Free list and some from the RFREE list. I chose 26-50 in the poll since I'm sure I'll grab a few more before the week is out.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I answered NO because any book I did download was not because of "E-book week".
Baen, Suvdu, feedbooks, PG have felt my presence
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I downloaded 23 today from Smashwords...some from the regular Free list and some from the RFREE list. I chose 26-50 in the poll since I'm sure I'll grab a few more before the week is out.
Same, 22 for me now, and I've only checked Smashwords so far. It'll take me forever to get through them though lol.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
None. I'm getting a bit tired of free downloads and would like to go back to choosing my own reads Besides, I am in a re-reading period and haven't bought anything new lately, and what I bought before that I haven't read yet.
I'm with FlorenceArt - once my TBR list reached ridiculous proportions, I too have decided no more free downloads. I might download an occassional freebe from Amazon, but I haven't read Under the Dome, for heaven's sake!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
8 so far, but there could be more to add to my never ending list of reading material!

Dawn
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
None so far, but I've uploaded some titles to the MR library.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
did not know so nope did not d/l....BUT knowing likely would not have altered the fact I did not d/l anything. I already have a solid 3-4yr backlog of titles to read between buying during the big Fictionwise sale, buying oodles from Baen/Webscriptions just because, Baen's free catalog, free d/l's from Amazon for titles which look interesting as well as other sources at last count I had just under 500 titles to read. Now some are simple and very casual interest which I will never read, but most are titles I fully want to read.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Only a handful. Nothing from sites that require registration to download freebies, unless I've already got an account with them. I may hit Smashwords for some of those, but I've found I won't get around to reading them unless they *really* seem appealing, or someone who knows me recommends a title to me.

I'm getting a lot more selective about my ebook reading.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote