Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-09-2014, 05:40 AM   #181
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
I can only name Sherlock Homes and he's one of my favorite and most loved literary figures of all time. I haven't heard of the other sleuths mentioned here at all. The only sleuth I've grown up reading is Nancy Drew and I don't even think most people would consider her at all.
You've honestly never heard of "Hercule Poirot" or "Miss Marple"? I find that very surprising.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #182
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You've honestly never heard of "Hercule Poirot" or "Miss Marple"? I find that very surprising.
I'm sorry I just remembered them. Hahaha. They didn't occur to me when I first noticed the thread though. But there really are a lot of surprising things, I have a friend who was just introduced to Sherlock when we were in college. I also know of another person who has never heard and seen The Titanic. That was the most unexpected thing I've ever heard from anyone.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #183
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
So many new writers to check out. Glad I saw this thread.

My favorites writers lately are:

Dorothy Gilman (Mrs. Pollifax series)
Archer Mayor (Joe Gunther)
CJ Box (Joe Pickett)
Jacqueline Winspear (Maisie Dobbs)
Louise Penny (Inspector Gamache)
Peter Robinson (Inspector Alan Banks)
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #184
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
So many new writers to check out. Glad I saw this thread.

My favorites writers lately are:

Dorothy Gilman (Mrs. Pollifax series)
Archer Mayor (Joe Gunther)
CJ Box (Joe Pickett)
Jacqueline Winspear (Maisie Dobbs)
Louise Penny (Inspector Gamache)
Peter Robinson (Inspector Alan Banks)
Looking at your list you may also enjoy:
Martin Walker (Bruno, Chief of Police) Goodreads link:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/sho...ersion=service

Donna Leon (Commissario Brunetti) GR link:

Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #185
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Jussi Adler-Olsen's Department Q series - Danish police detective Carl Mork, banished to "department Q" in the basement of the police station, assisted by quirky Rose and Assad, initially hired as a janitor, who has a mysterious past in the Middle East.

Christopher Fowler's Bryant and May series - Bryant and May are elderly detectives leading the Peculiar Crimes Unit in London. A few of the stories are set in their younger days, most are present-day. If you enjoy eccentric characters and a gentle sense of humor, you may like these. Sort of a cross between a cozy and a police procedural.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #186
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Looking at your list you may also enjoy:
Martin Walker (Bruno, Chief of Police) Goodreads link:

Donna Leon (Commissario Brunetti) GR link:

I am familiar with these two also and really enjoy them! Didn't happen to think of them at the time, but I too recommend them as well.
Thanks for reminding me
(so many good ones out there, aren't there?)
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #187
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Aaron Elkins' Gideon Oliver, the bone detective. I've read most. The first is more of a thriller, then the series settles into forensic whodunits, and travels the world-- central America, Egypt, Italy, Gibralter, England, France. Anywhere were forensic anthropologist Oliver finds old bones which (usually) turn out to be new.

Arthur Upfields "Boney" series.

I add my vote to Inspector Montalbano, and the TV series is great too. The books are actually written in Sicilian, with some Italian, and the comic relief character speaks a sort of bastard Sicilio-Italian jargon, fondly imagining he's speaking proper Italian, a type well recognised in Sicily. The translation (by a Sicilian speaker) does extremely well in my opinion. (I'm pleased to see a new short TV series of Montalbano has been made and is about to start here in Australia, subtitled of course.)

The Aurelio Zen series is good, too; and the locations which appear in the books are real. There is one story with the body dumped on a walled island in the Venetian lagoon, and yep, that island is exactly as described. I was put off for a long time by the improbable surname, thinking it made up; but apparently it's a real Venetian surname. So close to the Balkans, not all Venetian names sound Italian.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:42 AM   #188
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
I add my vote to Inspector Montalbano, and the TV series is great too. The books are actually written in Sicilian, with some Italian, and the comic relief character speaks a sort of bastard Sicilio-Italian jargon, fondly imagining he's speaking proper Italian, a type well recognised in Sicily. The translation (by a Sicilian speaker) does extremely well in my opinion. (I'm pleased to see a new short TV series of Montalbano has been made and is about to start here in Australia, subtitled of course.)
A constant complaint of a friend of mine, a Sicilian who runs a restaurant in the village where I live, is that the characters in the TV series don't actually speak Sicilian, but "standard" Italian.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #189
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Yes, the series is obviously made for Italian TV, and "standard Italian" is really the only dialect understood all over the country. If you had, say, a Piedmontese and a Sicilian, who spoke only their native dialects, trying to hold a conversation, it would be fun to watch. A truly authentic Sicilian language version would have tiny ratings methinks. I know there have been grumbles that the actor playing Montalbano isn't Sicilian.

(One of the minor joys of a recent trip to Italy was watching an episode of NCIS dubbed into Italian. Quite credibly, too.)
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #190
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Yes, the series is obviously made for Italian TV, and "standard Italian" is really the only dialect understood all over the country. If you had, say, a Piedmontese and a Sicilian, who spoke only their native dialects, trying to hold a conversation, it would be fun to watch. A truly authentic Sicilian language version would have tiny ratings methinks. I know there have been grumbles that the actor playing Montalbano isn't Sicilian.

(One of the minor joys of a recent trip to Italy was watching an episode of NCIS dubbed into Italian. Quite credibly, too.)
My friend likes the spin-off series, "The Young Montelbano", better, because the actor who plays the title role in that is Sicilian .

I very much enjoy the TV series. I really must read the books; I have a few of them I've picked up in Kindle Daily Deals, including an omnibus edition of the first four books in the series, but I've not yet read any of them.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #191
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My wife's family is Italian and from the Naples area. They speak a very obscure Dialect.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #192
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My wife's family is Italian and from the Naples area. They speak a very obscure Dialect.
Apache
I would hazard a guess that they speak Neapolitan, which is a distinct language, not mutually understandable to an Italian speaker.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #193
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
They were from the general area and not from Naples itself so I am not sure what they actually spoke. They always said it was a dialect spoken in their area.
Her father's family used to send money back to support a church in the small town they were from. Then when they went to visit they found out they were being scammed. The priest was a con man.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:01 AM   #194
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Mine would be Kay Scarpetta, Win Garrano and Andy Brazil by Patricia Cornwell; Scotty Bradley by Greg Herren, and several from John Morgan Wilson.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:16 AM   #195
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Many on my fave sleuths are named above. Newer faves are Marcus Didius Falco, his adopted daughter Flavia Albia, and Ruth Galloway.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote