Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Kurashi
Kurashi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
USB Device Not Recognized

The first time I plugged in the PRS-700 on my 64-bit Vista machine, I got these USB Device Not Recognized balloons for the entire time it was charging. If I closed the balloon, a new one would pop up, until I've closed about 30 of them. I could read from the drives and use the Sony eBook Library software, everything worked fine.

Luckily it only occurs every couple seconds, but it piles up in the message queue so if you haven't clicked the balloon immediately, then it'll queue up a bunch of them and you have to close them all until finally it gives up and they stop.

May try plugging it directly into one of the main usb ports instead of through this USB hub I've been using.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Solution:

I decided to try plugging it into my machine directly, but figured I'd check the Sony Support site first and found this.

NOTE: The USB cable should be connected directly to the computer. Connecting the Reader using a USB hub or extension cable is not supported.

I would've tried this initially if it weren't such a pain to find a main usb port I could use, but in the end I opted to move one of my less used external drives to the hub (which is usb 2.0) and I don't get the errors anymore.

Last edited by Kurashi; 01-04-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Kurashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Not using a hub is a good idea. Plugging it into the same port each time is another good suggestion.

Finally, may I suggest that for charging it when you don't need to use the Sony Library software, buy an inexpensive ($19 or so) PSP charger and use that. It charges in half the time and you can continue to use your computer without those annoying balloons, should they appear. Also, you can charge the reader anyplace you want to, not just where the computer is.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Kurashi
Kurashi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I don't have much need for the AC charger, it charges extremely fast via the USB cable and I'm almost always at or near my computer. For other people who are more on-the-go, the AC adapter may work better, though if you take a laptop with you, the USB cable charging could still come in handy.

I know that plugging a USB device into the same port each time helped them get recognized/ready a bit faster and avoid issues when I ran XP, but since I switched to Vista I don't think that's been a problem.
Kurashi is offline   Reply With Quote