Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Email charge?

Hey everyone! I'm Katherine.

I just joined because I got my Kindle for the holidays today (I had been wanting one for a while) and I'm really excited to start using it.

I'm going to go read the beginner stickies soon, but I have a quick question about the Kindle I'm not sure about it.

I know there's a 10 cent charge for sending Amazon a file (like PDF) for conversion and then having it sent right to your device...but what about emailing a file to your Kindle email address so it goes right to your Kindle? (no conversion required)

Some say that there's still a 10 cent charge, others say that there really isn't a charge and it's really free. So what's going on here?

Thanks for help everyone!
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityWolf View Post
Hey everyone! I'm Katherine.

I just joined because I got my Kindle for the holidays today (I had been wanting one for a while) and I'm really excited to start using it.

I'm going to go read the beginner stickies soon, but I have a quick question about the Kindle I'm not sure about it.

I know there's a 10 cent charge for sending Amazon a file (like PDF) for conversion and then having it sent right to your device...but what about emailing a file to your Kindle email address so it goes right to your Kindle? (no conversion required)

Some say that there's still a 10 cent charge, others say that there really isn't a charge and it's really free. So what's going on here?

Thanks for help everyone!
Well, I've done both and never been charged for either. Others have said the same. Have you tried calling Kindle support and asking them?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh Oh Oh.........Welcome, Katherine!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
IntegrityWolf
^_^

Thanks

Well, I figured I would call sometime, but not today, as it's Christmas and I'm not sure if anyone would be there (federal holiday)

I think I'm going to just send it to my Kindle. I doubt I'll be charged. I've yet to find someone who has been. thanks for your help.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The dime fee is for the email, not the conversion. And you won't be charged the fee until you accumulate $3.00 worth.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The dime fee is for the email, not the conversion. And you won't be charged the fee until you accumulate $3.00 worth.

Interesting, Nate. Did I miss something in the Kindle guide?
Old 12-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
"We will convert the document into Kindle format and wirelessly deliver it directly to your Kindle for a small fee or back to your computer for free."

Page 11 of the Kindle User Guide. http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...User_Guide.pdf
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Interesting, Nate. Did I miss something in the Kindle guide?
It's on the "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon. Scroll down to "Your orders and individual charges". Hover your mouse cursor over "Learn more about individual charges.".

Amazon hid it really well, I must admit.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

On a side note, you can get the conversion for free if you send the document to @free.kindle.com instead of @kindle.com.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
It's on the "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon. Scroll down to "Your orders and individual charges".
"Individual charges include any e-mailed document charges ($.10 per e-mailed document attachment)."

"Individual charges include e-mailed document charges to cover wireless delivery ($.10 per e-mailed document attachment). Your credit card will be charged when you have accrued at least $3.00 in total charges, or 30 e-mailed documents."
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If you have a file that doesn't need to be converted... why bother? Just load it onto your device using the USB connection.

BTW: You can also send to @free.kindle.com and the converted file will be emailed to you, thus saving the 10¢ which may or may not be charged.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
It's on the "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon. Scroll down to "Your orders and individual charges". Hover your mouse cursor over "Learn more about individual charges.".

Amazon hid it really well, I must admit.
thanks, everyone!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
IntegrityWolf
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If you have a file that doesn't need to be converted... why bother? Just load it onto your device using the USB connection.

BTW: You can also send to @free.kindle.com and the converted file will be emailed to you, thus saving the 10¢ which may or may not be charged.

BOb
Yeah, I was just wondering. I'm planning on using my 8 GB SD card once I get it tomorrow. It was more of a "what if" question.

Thanks for the information everyone! sounds like the info was hidden pretty well.
Well, I guess I'll make sure that I don't go over $2.90 in any sending charges!
Old 12-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Yeah, I was just wondering. I'm planning on using my 8 GB SD card once I get it tomorrow. It was more of a "what if" question.

Thanks for the information everyone! sounds like the info was hidden pretty well.
Well, I guess I'll make sure that I don't go over $2.90 in any sending charges!
Welcome! You will find MR to be a great source of info and free material. And of great friends, as well. Just don't insult the Kindle's looks in front of DesertGrandma.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
IntegrityWolf
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Welcome! You will find MR to be a great source of info and free material. And of great friends, as well. Just don't insult the Kindle's looks in front of DesertGrandma.
Haha yeah I could guess from her signature.
Truthfully, I like the looks of the Kindle. It's not flashy (it's not supposed to be, it would be distracting!) and fits well in my hands.

Thanks for the welcome.