Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just ordered a PRS-505 with Lightwedge Cover and 2-Year Warranty for $234.97...

Sony is now offering $40 off when you buy the 505, an accessory, and a warranty. I got the Silver 505, the lightwedge cover, and a 2-year warranty (including accidental physical damage) for $384.97. Then, if you apply for a Sony Visa, they'll take $150 (now it's $100) off your first purchase of $299 or more. Thus, I will have ended up paying $234.97 for everything.

Edit: the only downside is that I had to pay sales tax of $26.95.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Congrats!

After the fiasco that was the 700 I'm considering buying a 505 myself. (Currently I have a 500). Do you know if B&H sells the lightwedge, and if so, under what name? (Searched for lightwedge, found nothing...)
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Do you know if B&H sells the lightwedge, and if so, under what name? (Searched for lightwedge, found nothing...)
I don't see it on the B&H website. The item number is PRS-ACL1.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Wink

I think the terms for the Sony $150 rebate is the puchase of a Sony item over $300 from EITHER sonystyle.com or from their SONY STYLE stores.

I upgraded my 500 to a 505 from a Sonystyle store using the new Visa card and got the $150 account credit in around 2 weeks after my purchase.

Last month, the rebate was $150. I think it is now $100 -- need to confirm from their website. By the way, I sold my 500 on ebay and used the proceeds toward this purchase.

I love the great screen contrast on the 505! After comparing it to the 700 at the sonystyle store, I canceled my 700 preorder and bought the 505.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I don't see it on the B&H website. The item number is PRS-ACL1.
Thanks. Any other place I can order it internationally?
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 03:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Thanks. Any other place I can order it internationally?
What country do you live in, Dave? Sony here in the UK sell the lightwedge cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Unfortunately I don't live in the UK or even in Europe so it's usually B&H or Ebay for me...
Old 11-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Waterstones has it and they ship overseas.
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6337798
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Waterstones has it and they ship overseas.
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6337798
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
I think the terms for the Sony $150 rebate is the puchase of a Sony item over $300 from EITHER sonystyle.com or from their SONY STYLE stores.

I upgraded my 500 to a 505 from a Sonystyle store using the new Visa card and got the $150 account credit in around 2 weeks after my purchase.

Last month, the rebate was $150. I think it is now $100 -- need to confirm from their website. By the way, I sold my 500 on ebay and used the proceeds toward this purchase.

I love the great screen contrast on the 505! After comparing it to the 700 at the sonystyle store, I canceled my 700 preorder and bought the 505.
Yeah, it was $150 when I applied for the card, but $100 when I actually ordered. When I activated the card, I asked the rep if I would be eligible for the $150 credit and he said probably but I might have to call back once the credit posts to clarify. IMO, they should give me the $150 credit since it is what enticed me to apply for the card in the first place. Even if it ends up being $100, no big deal; still a great value for the money.

The other issue is that the $40 credit was pro-rated across the three items I purchased so that the reader ended up being less than $299, but the total purchase, obviously, was more. I hope that doesn't screw up the credit. I read the fine-print and it basically said that any "single sales receipt purchase of $299 or more" constitutes a "qualifying purchase" and entitles you to the credit. I guess that's subject to interpretation but I took it to mean that as long as the total of all items purchased on one sales receipt (i.e., ordered at the same time) was greater than $299, you would get the credit.

Has anyone else combined the $40 discount with the $100 or $150 credit??
Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
Zen-Diego
Zen-Diego is on a distinguished road

Device: various Sonys then Kindles; currently Kindle Oasis
I'm in the exact same boat as you, approved for the card to get the $150 discount with the expectation of applying it to the purchase of a 700, saw the 700 in the store & immediately knew I didn't want it, and am now vacillating on the 505 purchase with the accessories exactly as you have purchased.

I was concerned that the discount wasn't included in the approval email or the card literature that arrived so I emailed Chase (Sony's card issuer) through the online Chase Card website. They responded and confirmed, so now I have an email as proof in case the credit doesn't appear for $150. They apply the promotion in effect on the day they issue the card and you must purchase w/in 45 days.

I've been lurking for about a week and these forums are awesome - what a great bunch who share so much info. Sometimes too much though - I'm now doubting a Sony purchase because I hate DRM and any books I purchase will need to be DRM-free or liberate-able (new word?) I see there are a lot of tools, many more complicated than I want to bother with, but I only want to accumulate media that is future-proofed, and the LRX issue is a roadblock for me. If only I could buy a Kindle II for $200, today...

Last edited by Zen-Diego; 11-14-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Zen-Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen-Diego View Post
I'm in the exact same boat as you, approved for the card to get the $150 discount with the expectation of applying it to the purchase of a 700, saw the 700 in the store & immediately knew I didn't want it, and am now vacillating on the 505 purchase with the accessories exactly as you have purchased.

I was concerned that the discount wasn't included in the approval email or the card literature that arrived so I emailed Chase (Sony's card issuer) through the online Chase Card website. They responded and confirmed, so now I have an email as proof in case the credit doesn't appear for $150. They apply the promotion in effect on the day they issue the card and you must purchase w/in 45 days.
Thanks for the info. You saved me probably about an hour of telephone calls and emails confirming this information.

Let's just hope the credit card statement is correct...
Old 11-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
mizo9999
mizo9999 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
Woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ler0y Jenkins View Post
Sony is now offering $40 off when you buy the 505, an accessory, and a warranty. I got the Silver 505, the lightwedge cover, and a 2-year warranty (including accidental physical damage) for $384.97. Then, if you apply for a Sony Visa, they'll take $150 (now it's $100) off your first purchase of $299 or more. Thus, I will have ended up paying $234.97 for everything.

Edit: the only downside is that I had to pay sales tax of $26.95.
Please post back when you get your loot, and also when you get the $100 credit! I am planning on combining those two offers as well, and want to know if all goes smoothly.
mizo9999 is offline   Reply With Quote