Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Post Modifying the Kindle Cover

Photo-rich page on how one Kindle user took an Exacto knife and
'fixed' his cover to suit his needs:

http://flickr.com/photos/normstew/se...7603902424474/
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I just added a small piece of velcro on the battery cover to hold the Kindle in its sleeve. Works great. For me no need to do all these other mods.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
pestrat
pestrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Great idea! I just received my Kindle yesterday, and the only negative is the cover. I'm going to modify the cover similiar to what you did.
pestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
The battery cover pops off easily - a little too easily. I'd rethink using velcro on the battery cover to secure anything.

I've got an M-edge cover coming, and we'll see how well I like that. If I don't, it's time to attack the provided Amazon cover with exactos and other tools of destruction/construction.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
XK143
XK143 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage - Back again after trying them all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pestrat View Post
Great idea! I just received my Kindle yesterday, and the only negative is the cover. I'm going to modify the cover similiar to what you did.

I agree. GREAT device, sucky cover. Actually, I like the covering, the extra protection for the screen, and the elastic strap of the included cover. But, alas, I've got my industrial-strength velcro ready to go...just need my razor blade.

As posted somewhere else, some alternatives are calendar/planner covers. I saw a few that wouldn't need any alteration except the trusty velcro. So far, I like the AT-A-GLANCE concealed wirebound covers like this one. Has some handy pockets but I'd be careful of putting anything in front of the screen. Wait a few more months into the year, and they might all be priced for clearance!
XK143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Tom90deg
Tom90deg is on a distinguished road

One thing I want to do for the cover is put large friendly letters on the front cover that say, "DON'T PANIC", but not sure how...paint maybe..
Tom90deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK143 View Post
I agree. GREAT device, sucky cover. Actually, I like the covering, the extra protection for the screen, and the elastic strap of the included cover. But, alas, I've got my industrial-strength velcro ready to go...just need my razor blade.

As posted somewhere else, some alternatives are calendar/planner covers. I saw a few that wouldn't need any alteration except the trusty velcro. So far, I like the AT-A-GLANCE concealed wirebound covers like this one. Has some handy pockets but I'd be careful of putting anything in front of the screen. Wait a few more months into the year, and they might all be priced for clearance!
This is my first inclination for a cover. I'm goiing to stop into our local office supply stores and see what's available today. I don't think I'm going to wait to save a few bucks and risk damage to the Kindle. The stock is really a sad attempt at a functional and stylish cover.

Last edited by Rocketime; 04-30-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
WeirdBeard
WeirdBeard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, eBookwise-1150, Palm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom90deg View Post
One thing I want to do for the cover is put large friendly letters on the front cover that say, "DON'T PANIC", but not sure how...paint maybe..
I thought that went on the back cover... I wonder if with modification you can pick up "The Guide" through Whispernet...

VELCRO:
I put two small pieces of velcro right under the corners - not on the battery cover. So between the corner pockets on one side and the velcro on the other, it stays in place just fine.

Last edited by WeirdBeard; 05-09-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: hit save too soon
WeirdBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
Izzy
Lost in Kindleland
Izzy began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I read my Kindle without the cover. However, I don't like the cover it came with, so I bought another one from ebay and love it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARRYING-SLEEVE-...QQcmdZViewItem
If you read without it, this is a great little cover to buy.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Tom90deg
Tom90deg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdBeard View Post
I thought that went on the back cover... I wonder if with modification you can pick up "The Guide" through Whispernet...
Hmm..maybe, it's been a while since I've read H2G2, but I always thought it was on the front. And besides, I think you can get Wikipedia through wispernet, and Wikipedia basically IS The Guide.
Tom90deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
chrissy
Enthusiast
chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I just got my Kindle this afternoon, and had a little trouble with the cover at first. After bending the tab (located on the inside of the cover) up a little more, the Kindle lodges a whole lot better in the cover and doesn't slip out anymore.
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
Rasczak
Rasczak began at the beginning.

I use the cover as-is. I did have to flip the tab up a little to help it catch, and spend a few minutes mastering how to put the Kindle in the cover so it would catch, but the investment was worth it. The cover actually works incredibly well. As intended, I fold the front cover back behind the Kindle while reading, and this allows me to hold it without accidently hitting the page buttons.

I'm sure it took me less time to get the hang of putting it in the cover than it would have taken to modify the cover with velcro and holes. However, if I knew of a neat and professional looking way to do it, I would put a hole in the back for easier access to the on/off buttons. But, even those I can reach by slipping a finger between the cover and the back without knocking the cover off.
Rasczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasczak View Post
...if I knew of a neat and professional looking way to do it, I would put a hole in the back for easier access to the on/off buttons.
In another thread some time ago, I mentioned that I took the cover to a shoemaker and he made a neat square hole and stitched up the edges, so both switches show and it looks fine. Cost: $10.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
jams1fan
Kindled
jams1fan is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle, Treo 700p
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
I just got my Kindle this afternoon, and had a little trouble with the cover at first. After bending the tab (located on the inside of the cover) up a little more, the Kindle lodges a whole lot better in the cover and doesn't slip out anymore.
Oh my gosh - thank you for mentioning this. I had no idea this is what that tab was for! I also did sew a piece of black elastic on the lower right hand corner of the cover. Now, my Kindle is perfectly secure. I don't feel a need to spend on a 3rd party cover now. Thanks, Chrissy!
jams1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jams1fan View Post
Oh my gosh - thank you for mentioning this. I had no idea this is what that tab was for! I also did sew a piece of black elastic on the lower right hand corner of the cover. Now, my Kindle is perfectly secure. I don't feel a need to spend on a 3rd party cover now. Thanks, Chrissy!
I haven't even tried to use the cover yet. Perhaps this weekend!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote