Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
iOS OR Android app: Adobe DRM & TTS support for library books

Hi all,
I've been searching up and down the net and MR and could not find a resource that lists reader software which supports TTS AND Adobe DRM on either iOS or Android in one place.
Nowadays, a lot of people use both OSes, like myself.

Since it looks like publishers/Overdrive (not sure whom to blame) are selling more ePub than Kindle format to some of my libraries lately, I would like to invest in an app that supports both, so at least I can listen to my library books while driving/running.

[I gave up on trying to find a good ePub eink alternative to my Kindle PW for now, since I hate having to connect anything to my computer for file transfer, and the Sony T2 is non-HD, non-lit at above $100.]

Would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by xendula; 01-21-2013 at 06:28 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bluefire reader supports Adobe DRM on iOS.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Mantano (Android) supports both, but if I had to guess I bet most publishers have TTS disabled in the DRM settings for their books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bluefire reader supports Adobe DRM on iOS.
I does not have a TTS option, though.

Last edited by xendula; 01-21-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Mantano (Android) supports both, but if I had to guess I bet most publishers have TTS disabled in the DRM settings for their books.
I wonder if it differs from ePub to Kindle,then, meaning: is TTS enabled/disabled regardless of the format/seller? There are a lot of Kindle books that have TTS enabled, but I have no idea about ePub.
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I wonder if it differs from ePub to Kindle,then, meaning: is TTS enabled/disabled regardless of the format/seller? There are a lot of Kindle books that have TTS enabled, but I have no idea about ePub.
I'd think if it's enabled on Kindle it would be for ePub as well. Maybe there are more books with TTS enabled then there used to be? I haven't really checked in quite a while as I'm spoiled by audiobooks and can't stand listening to TTS. For a while most publishers (the big ones at least) were blocking it.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm

Brian hope you can help! I also posted this question in the android forum:

How to read Overdrive ePubs in Mantano Reader?!
When trying to download a book, it opens in the Overdrive app. I tried looking for the file with ES Explorer, but can't figure out where the eBook file is being stored!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I don't know, I don't have the OverDrive app installed. I just download the ACSM file from my libraries OD site by selecting ePub as my format, and then use Mantano's explorer to open that from my Nexus 7's download folder and it downloads the book to my device and into Mantano.

The other way I've done it is to copy the book from my PC's ADE folder via USB and then open the book in Mantano.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-25-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm

Hmm, I don't see the file in the download folder, but that's probably because Overdrive puts it somewhere else. Sigh. Nothing is ever easy....
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Hmm, I don't see the file in the download folder, but that's probably because Overdrive puts it somewhere else. Sigh. Nothing is ever easy....
IIRC stuff downloaded by that app goes into a folder called OverDrive (which has some other folders inside of it), but I'm not sure if a book downloaded into their app is a regular ePub or not.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
xendula
eBookworm

The Overdrive folder has four sub-folders, but they are almost empty, with one containing two banner images, and one containing two Chronicles of Perth files, though I don't remember ever having borrowed it.