Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #376
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Both PWs are boxed up and ready for the UPS tomorrow. It feels strange since I've never had to return a Kindle model before. I kind of feel betrayed by on old friend here. I hope Amazon really does pursue this issue, but my gut feeling tells me it will simply get swept under the rug. Too many people are posting picks of their "perfect" PWs that have the same issues as ours, so I suspect with that many people happy with them Amazon won't take this issue seriously. Next years model will probably be the next hope of seeing a good PW.
Yeah, pretty much in the same boat, and running out of things to even say about the situation. At this point I truly believe that some people can't 'see' the problems, and while I envy them, I hope that the engineers who get the problem units don't have the same (apparent) colorblindness. But I've never seen a pic posted yet that doesn't have it (and sirmaru never posted pics of his mythical perfect unit, as far as I know), so the return-go-'round seems pointless.

So: will probably return #2 next week.

The next time I'll have anything useful to add to the conversation will be Oct 19th, when the SO's gets here. (Unless Kindle support contacts me sooner to follow up on the unit I sent to Cupertino--honestly I don't expect them to, I was glad to try to help out.)

My gut instinct is that we won't see improved units until November at the earliest, but I have no idea how Amazon has handled this kind of thing in the past.

Thanks for everyone's input and support through all this. It's been nice meeting you all.

Edited to add: I feel kind of bad about the people who are so excited to be able to pre-order to the EU/UK now, because I can't imagine those first units won't have the same problems, but I feel like if I go post about it in those threads, I'll look like a troll. (If the situation was reversed, I would consider me to be a troll, heh.)

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #377
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
TraumaDoll, let us know how you are making out with the unit coming in. We'll miss you here.

I decided to try another round of replacements, so I'll call them maybe tomorrow. Three of my units went to Kentucky today, but I did not have color issues at all when I last talked to them to get replacements. Could be that this is the only issue they actually care about.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #378
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Yeah I noticed the wider bezel, and that is a good improvement. I've got a bit of carpel tunnel and holding the Fire in portrait mode put more pressure on my wrist than landscape mode did. I rested the Fire on my belly then balanced it with my hand, so that is why more carpel tunnel issues occurred in portrait than in landscape. In other words, portrait mode makes it taller and requires more energy to hold it upright when resting my hand and Fire on my belly. Sounds odd I'm sure, but it was an issue.
I know what you mean which is why I'm gad I got the case I did for the KF. It helps me alot to hold the KF in portrait mode I hold mine on my chest or a throw pillow. I think I saw a wedge pillow for holding devices I am going to look into that. This is why I love my K4s I can hold them without messing up my wrists or shoulders.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #379
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
This is replacement #2 aka 3rd PW-3G. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	93967   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	280
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	93968  
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #380
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Definitely better than either of the 2 I've received so far. Are you happy with it?
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #381
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Definitely better than either of the 2 I've received so far. Are you happy with it?
The blotches in the bottom are less noticeable than #1. I've already boxed up #2 and will be returning it. The screen on #2 is way too yellow. When I first turned on #3, it was a shade of pink. After dinner, I had hubby look at it and the pink was gone. #3 is yellower than #1 but not as bad as #2. I'm going to keep it for a few days and see if the pink comes back.

I really really want to like the PW, but like you guys, I'm getting very frustrated. I have a feeling I'll be keeping either #1 or #3 and living with the imperfections.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #382
jswinden
Nameless Being

When it rains it pours! I bought the PW with my Amazon Store Card. My payment was due on 10/10/2012 and I paid it on that date and paid considerably more than the minimum amount due, and even though my account shows the payment the jerks still charged me a $25 late fee. I wrote them a pretty nasty email!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #383
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Ugh! Is the pink really that pink?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #384
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
When it rains it pours! I bought the PW with my Amazon Store Card. My payment was due on 10/10/2012 and I paid it on that date and paid considerably more than the minimum amount due, and even though my account shows the payment the jerks still charged me a $25 late fee. I wrote them a pretty nasty email!
That would have paid for removing the SO and then some.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #385
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Did you write Amazon or Chase?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #386
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Chase is for the Amazon Visa, the store card is through GE Capital.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #387
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Chase is for the Amazon Visa, the store card is through GE Capital.
I don't think I knew there was a store card aside from the Amazon branded Chase Visa.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #388
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I used the Amazon.com Store Card Online Message Center within the account web page to contact who I think is the bank (GE Capital). I got a confirmation from Amazon.com Store Card Services saying they received my message.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #389
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
This may sound like a troll but I loved my Paperwhite and it had a pure white screen.

At least some of us are happy with it.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #390
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I don't think I knew there was a store card aside from the Amazon branded Chase Visa.
It is only good at Amazon.com. I chose it because on large purchases if you pay them off in a set number of months then there is no interest.