Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #151
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got it.

Thank you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #152
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It concerns hookers, snipers and slums.... and a private detective. (I hope the latter doesn't take away from the mix!)

Don
LOL. Good one!
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #153
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I didn't see this on a quick search, so a free one at Amazon:

Libby Fischer Hellmann - Doubleback (PI Georgia Davis Series 02)
Thanks Dreams as an added bonus once you have the free book you can get the audible version for just $1.99
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #154
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Buyer Beware by John Lutz is $2.99 (down from $9.99) at Kobo, B&N, and Amazon. This is the first in his Arlo Nudger detective series, originally published in 1976.

Quote:
Kidnap proves only the prelude to a diabolically clever scheme of fraud and murder in this vivid tale of taut suspense.

Private investigator Alo Nudger didn't have to think twice about accepting the $2,500 fee from Gordon Clark, whose seven-year-old daughter had been "kidnapped" by his ex-wife, Joan. After all, the pay was good, and the job seemed simple enough: bring young Melissa back from Florida to her frantic father. Nudger arrives at his destination to find only an empty house but soon locates Melissa in the safekeeping of a neighbor and reckons his job is done... or is it?

For now Joan is missing, and the man she and Melissa had been living with is murdered. Nudger's new proposition from an equally distraught parent—Joan's father—is not so readily appealing as before. Fifty thousand dollars to locate a missing person is a tempting sum, indeed—assuming Alo Nudger can stay alive long enough to enjoy it.

About the Series
St. Louis private eye ALO NUDGER is perhaps the most Chaplinesque of fictional gumshoes. Where other P.I.s are hardcases living on cigarettes, booze, broads and danger, Alo survives (just) on antacid tablets (it was his nervous stomach that forced Alo to resign from the police force) and grocery coupons.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #155
NightBird
Wizard

One Angry Julius by Dave Zeltserman is free. Seven stories. These are sort of a take off of Rex Stout's Archie Goodwin/Nero Wolfe stories.

Quote:
The collection features the latest story from the multiple award-winning Julius Katz series, ONE ANGRY JULIUS AND ELEVEN BEFUDDLED JURORS. Also in this collection are five other crime stories presenting very different shades of noir, including the 2012 Thriller Award nominated story, A HOSTAGE SITUATION.

As an added bonus, the first chapter of Dave Zeltserman's upcoming horror novel, "Monster: A Novel of Frankenstein' ("imaginative and grotesque" Booklist, starred review, "chilling and captivating: ForeWord Magazine, pick of the week) which will be published August 2nd by Overlook Press is included.

Look for these other Julius Katz ebooks available now as Kindle downloads: JULIUS KATZ MYSTERIES and JULIUS KATZ AND ARCHIE (full-length novel).
Shoot the Money is the Chris Wiltz freebie today.

Quote:
From the author of The Last Madam: A Life in the New Orleans Underworld, comes an edgy novel, a racy gumbo of suspense, comedy, and “sisters-in-crime.”

Karen and Raynie are roommates hiding from sticky pasts. When vengeful gangsters and old boyfriends descend, Karen can’t hide from the Miami thug who wants his money back, and Raynie’s would-be rapist gets a gun and goes on a rampage. To top it off, Karen’s boss, LaDonna, has a young lover with a new and dangerous idea. The three women unite to face the repercussions of the stolen money and the violence that ensues.

From Mamou to Miami to New Orleans, money and friendship are at the heart of Shoot the Money as it explores women’s desires for big bucks, and they see what money does to those who have it, lose it, pursue it, or steal it. And what happens when they try a little revenge on their rapid chase toward a better life.

They’ve got the money, they’re smart and they’re daring. And they’ve got a gun. They could just whip it out and shoot somebody, but that would be way too easy.
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #156
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Tasha Alexander's first three Victorian mysteries are discounted to 1.99 at Amazon ( who didn't add whispernet fees, so I bought the first one.)
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #157
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
For those collecting the Logan & Cafferty series, the latest is free today on Amazon:

Gray Wolf Mountain by Jean Henry Mead (Medallion Books)

Who's not only killing wolves on the mountain, but people as well? Dana Logan and Sarah Cafferty find themselves embroiled in another mystery in central Wyoming when their SUV becomes a target and they're involved in a rollover. Help arrives in the form of Sheriff Walter Grayson and Dana's journalist daughter Kerrie Compton, who writes a feature story about the killings for Denver's City Magazine. Two bodyguards, one of them an Iraqi war veteran, also join in the investigation.

When Gus Blake, an old man who rescues wounded wolves and nurses them back to health, disappears along with his neighbors, Logan & Cafferty are determined to find them and bring the killer(s) to justice
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #158
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Also noticed two pretty good price drops (on Amazon):

The Snatch by Bill Pronzini, first in the Nameless Detective series, went from $9.99 to $2.99

The Dark City (Elliot Ness) by Max Allan Collins is also down to $2.99 from $9.99
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #159
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
One Angry Julius by Dave Zeltserman is free. Seven stories. These are sort of a take off of Rex Stout's Archie Goodwin/Nero Wolfe stories.
I've very much enjoyed both of the previous Julius Katz/Archie books. I picked up one when it was on sale at Amazon, and had so much fun reading it that I just had to get the other one too. The first one contains a novella and a short story, and the second one is is a full length novel. These are definitely pastiches of Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin, but very well done, and well worth reading if you like the Wolfe/Goodwin stories. I'm not so sure how they'd read as independent stories if you haven't read at least a few Wolfe/Goodwin books. I think they might still be pretty cute stories, but some of the humor might not work.

Has anyone read any of Zeltserman's darker stories - which seem to be pretty much everything else he's written? I enjoyed the Katz stories so much I'd like to read more of his writing, but I'm not really into dark/noir/thriller. I guess I'll get to read a couple of the darker stories included in this freebie (thanks, NB), but curious if anyone has any opinion of any of his longer, darker books.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #160
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
well worth reading if you like the Wolfe/Goodwin stories. I'm not so sure how they'd read as independent stories if you haven't read at least a few Wolfe/Goodwin books. I think they might still be pretty cute stories, but some of the humor might not work.

Has anyone read any of Zeltserman's darker stories - which seem to be pretty much everything else he's written? I enjoyed the Katz stories so much I'd like to read more of his writing, but I'm not really into dark/noir/thriller. I guess I'll get to read a couple of the darker stories included in this freebie (thanks, NB), but curious if anyone has any opinion of any of his longer, darker books.
I totally agree with you on that. I have some of his other books but haven't read them yet. If I were you I think I would just rely on the description of any given book and see if it interests you. I think his writing is really good.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #161
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
For those collecting the Logan & Cafferty series, the latest is free today on Amazon:

Who's not only killing wolves on the mountain, but people as well? Dana Logan and Sarah Cafferty find themselves embroiled in another mystery in central Wyoming when their SUV becomes a target and they're involved in a rollover. Help arrives in the form of Sheriff Walter Grayson and Dana's journalist daughter Kerrie Compton, who writes a feature story about the killings for Denver's City Magazine. Two bodyguards, one of them an Iraqi war veteran, also join in the investigation.

When Gus Blake, an old man who rescues wounded wolves and nurses them back to health, disappears along with his neighbors, Logan & Cafferty are determined to find them and bring the killer(s) to justice
Thanks! I'm collecting these
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #162
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Also noticed two pretty good price drops (on Amazon):

The Snatch by Bill Pronzini, first in the Nameless Detective series, went from $9.99 to $2.99

The Dark City (Elliot Ness) by Max Allan Collins is also down to $2.99 from $9.99
These are both $2.78 on the Australian Kobo I suspect they may also be couponable
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #163
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:

Keep in mind, Medallion Books is not Medallion Press. This is a single author "publisher" (and he hasn't even added this book to his website). Essentially self-pubbed (which may mean nothing, but I really don't like the current fad of fake publisher names on KDP books (which is harder to get away with at B&N or Sony).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #164
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Keep in mind, Medallion Books is not Medallion Press. This is a single author "publisher" (and he hasn't even added this book to his website). Essentially self-pubbed (which may mean nothing, but I really don't like the current fad of fake publisher names on KDP books (which is harder to get away with at B&N or Sony).
This is one of the reasons I stopped my daily posts. I would think I found a free backlist but instead it is just an amateur self publisher using a fancy name.

One of several reasons.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #165
NightBird
Wizard

The Bastard Hand by Heath Lowrance is free again from New Pulp Press.

Quote:
Charlie Wesley is not right in the head. He’s escaped from a mental hospital up north and hitchhiked his way south, the voice of his dead brother urging him on. But when Charlie hits Memphis, the fine line between his delusions and reality shift in the form of the Reverend Phineas Childe—a preacher bent on booze and women; a Man of God with a dark agenda. Charlie is the perfect pawn in the Reverend’s game of retribution. And the small North Mississippi town of Cuba Landing will be the setting for the Reverend’s very personal Apocalypse. . . .
Another repeat freebie from Oceanview - Justice in June by Mary Magruder.

Quote:
Miami in June: it’s raining, it’s pouring, but the life of criminal defense attorney Mary Magruder Katz is anything but boring—especially when she gets caught up in a whirlwind of three different cases.

Judge Liz Maxwell’s job, sanity, and reputation are at stake, and she needs Mary to ferret out wrongdoing in Miami’s courts. Solving this case won’t just mean going out on a limb; it will mean risking life and limb.

Luis Corona, a family friend of Mary’s boyfriend, Carlos, needs help with a legal matter that, to Mary’s horror, turns out to be a terrorism charge. And this case will leave some catastrophic damage—and unwelcome notoriety—in its wake.

Just when Mary thought things couldn’t get worse, Carlos gets in his own nasty legal quandary—one that could cost him everything.

Three cases. One Mary. One torrential downpour of turmoil.

Can she weather the storm? Ride out the cold front that settles over her once-hot romance? Salvage what remains of her—and her clients’—reputations?

For Mary Magruder Katz, this month’s forecast calls for trouble.
Free thriller from Anarchy Books - Trajectory by John S. Barker.

Quote:
Truth is a Lie.

The Cold War didn't end.

In the late 70s, Jake Grant and Stewart Hunt acted as an assassination team called VICTORIES for the mysterious Department of Foreign Influence Studies. Operating under the orders of Graham Ferris, Deputy Director of DFIS, Grant and Hunt were two soldiers unknowingly involved in a covert plot named “Blue Monday”, designed to bring down the Soviet Union. But Hunt discovered a decades-old truth about DFIS, and wanted out. Jake Grant had to stop him - but at what cost?

In a startling series of interviews, Jake Grant reveals as much about himself as the events of 1979 and 1980. Is he a soldier or a psychopath? Jake recounts the events and lives of men and women who were pawns in a secret conspiracy to control the course of civilization.

TRAJECTORY is a riveting psychological espionage thriller that shocks, surprises – and makes one question the Truth.