Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Fictionwise Code 55% - valid to 05/14/12

I just played around with the codes in Fictionwise and this one worked and gave 55% off

It says expiry is 14th May, but it may last a day or so beyond that
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Cool! So what can I use it for? Anyone have any recommendations for Multiformat SF/Fantasy? I used the 60% off voucher for all the Lawrence Watt-Evans books. Any suggestions?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yes, e-Reads has a very good selection of quality backlist sf/fantasy and mystery/crime. You'll be more easily able to see their offerings at their website, and they've got buy-links to lead you to the listings at Fictionwise.

Depending on how old school you want your reading to be, they've got a lot of Harlan Ellison's classic short stories, Fritz Leiber, and they recently added some Robert Silverberg (with new introductions by the author himself), Pamela Sargent, and Elizabeth A. Lynn. I especially recommend out of the authors I've personally read: R.A. MacAvoy (fantasy, but very good, Campbell Award nominee, IIRC), Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (fantasy, but again very good, Nebula Award winner), George Alec Effinger (only read a few, but enjoyed very much; everyone says Budayeen series his best work), Aaron Elkins (mystery/crime thrillers, Edgar Award-winner, Gideon Oliver series has forensic science in it, highly recommended). I also quite enjoyed works by John DeChancie (comedic fantasy/sf), Ru Emerson (crossover RL/fantasy quest), Marta Randall (far future sf & mystery), Clare Bell (historical/anthropomorphic fantasy). I've also read good works out from other publishers by the following authors: Dave Duncan (fantasy & some sf), Greg Bear (sf), Alan Dean Foster (more sf), James R. Benn (historical mystery/crime thrillers).

Other publishers with reasonably high quality sf/fantasy in their catalogues whom I'm going to assume haven't removed their books from FW to only sell elsewhere yet are Wildside Press (erratic about updating their FW offerings; especially recommend Brian Stableford's Biotech Revolution stories; his old school space operas and "gothic decadence" stories not nearly as good, IMHO), Prime Books (only a small selection because likewise erratic, but good quality modern authors), Quintamid LLC & ElectricStory.com & Wonder Audiobooks (good source for collections of single-author shorts; WAB has old-school stuff, some of which is collected US public domain, but others of which are still in copyright by older living authors, so check before buying). Mid-quality newbie sf/fantasy publishers which have a couple of good backlist authors in their stable are Mundania Press (Don Callander, Anne Logston, Louise Cooper, etc.), Mushroom Press (had 2 people who were previously published by DAW, can't remember their names), Double Dragon Publishing (Kenneth C. Flint, Nick Pollotta).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
They have the First book of G. Harry Stine's Starsea Invaders series.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Cool! So what can I use it for? Anyone have any recommendations for Multiformat SF/Fantasy? I used the 60% off voucher for all the Lawrence Watt-Evans books. Any suggestions?
Cat Karina by Michael Coney
Christopher Hinz' Paratwa Trilogy
Diana Paxson's Shanna series
Burning Bright - Melissa Scott
Planets of Adventure #3: Black Priestess of Varda & Captives of the Weir-Wind by Erik Fennel & Ross Rocklynne
Various Brian Stableford collections like: The Gardens of Tantalus and Other
eBook by Brian Stableford
Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future by Mike Resnick (who has tons more)
Dave Creek's Splendor stories
Unwelcome Bodies by Jennifer Pelland
There are 10 or so Greg Egan stories
The Dreaming [vt The Dreaming Dragons] by Damien Broderick
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I just played around with the codes in Fictionwise and this one worked and gave 55% off

It says expiry is 14th May, but it may last a day or so beyond that
I picked up a few books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Thank you! I picked up Moonheart by Charles de Lint to replace my paper copy.

If you've never read Charles de Lint before and are tempted to try one of his works with this Fictionwise coupon code, I'd recommend either The Little Country (one of my favorite books), or Moonheart. Charles de Lint was one of the founders of the urban fantasy genre, before it became overrun with tween vampire romance novels.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
Thanks, picked up the latest Analog and Asimov's SF.

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
There are quite a few of Damon Knight's short stories available, and some longer works. In particular I would recommend "I See You" -- about 70 cents before any coupons. I read it in F&SF when it came out in 1976 -- very imaginative!

EDIT: Okay, followed my own advice and picked up several more of his stories! Thanks for the coupon code.

Last edited by cromag; 05-12-2012 at 11:45 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Do fictionwise mail out this coupon code to subscribers? I don't receive any promo email from fictionwise anymore. The last promo code I received was for 60% 3 weeks back (or was it 4 weeks?).

Did I do anything wrong?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've signed up a couple times and they've never sent me anything. I find out about the coupons here.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Do fictionwise mail out this coupon code to subscribers? I don't receive any promo email from fictionwise anymore. The last promo code I received was for 60% 3 weeks back (or was it 4 weeks?).

Did I do anything wrong?
Yes, they do. I got the email about this 55% off voucher late last night (UK time).
Old 05-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for the recommendations; I bought the 10 "Gideon Oliver" books by Aaron Elkins; with the voucher code they were $1.80 each, which is a bargain.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Here's one I noticed on the new list!

from Wonder :-

The Daughter of Thor and Other Fantastic Adventures and Weird Tales - Edmond Hamilton

https://store.fictionwise.com/ebooks...ond-Hamilton/?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I never get anything from them, I just played around with the date and got lucky. Picked up 7 books yesterday and looking at a few more today.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote