Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Question Quick Screen Question

Okay, so the screen only supports 4 shades. But what I'm curious to know is how is the "brightness" and refresh rate? In these regards is it comparable to the Sony PRS-500 or the 505?

Last edited by Dylrob; 12-17-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It is noticeably faster than my PRS-500.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
The Kindle screen display seems pretty close to that of the prs-505. I haven't had the units side by side because I own only a Kindle, but I looked at the 505 prior to purchasing my Kindle and AFAIK tell the displays are close.

The Kindle refreshes fast enough for me, but I've read that some people feel it is a little slow. I think that would depend on what you are doing. Reading a book or newspaper isn't that bad, but searching through documents or using the Internet can bog down the Kindle. Personally, I got it to read books so I'm happy with what it does for that.
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I find it comparable to the PRS-505 for screen refresh. For reading a book, it's great. For websurfing, it's infuriating. Whispernet ads great convenience but I do worry that people who approach it as a network device will be disappointed. It's lovely for being able to access the content it's designed to get you to. Wikipedia and the Amazon shop are brilliant. I got to play with Feedbooks catalog today and that was great. When they optimize their store, that will be great, too, I'm quite sure. If you go out to most sites with it, you'll be frustrated. People tend to be shocked that they've included web access in the price, at least for now. I believe this is why.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2007, 05:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Fun View Post
The Kindle screen display seems pretty close to that of the prs-505. I haven't had the units side by side because I own only a Kindle, but I looked at the 505 prior to purchasing my Kindle and AFAIK tell the displays are close.
The Sony PRS-505, Kindle, and CyBook Gen3 use the same screen. The Sony has a different controller to the Kindle and Gen3, which means that it displays 8 grey-scales rather than 4, but the screens themselves are indentical.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
And I noticed that the pictures are terrible quality. It appears to do some weird mobi conversion, because they look terrible on the Kindle. I know it's for reading books on rather than looking at photos, but my book covers generally look terrible on it compared to how nice they look on my sony PRS-500. Same goes for any straight pics I have sent to be converted. They convert the pics to .azw and they look horrible.

But I know that it SHOULD be able to have nice photos, because the screensaver pics look beautiful.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think the pictures they use have probably been optimized for the Kindle. That's probably why the picture viewer is disabled and they won't let you load your own screensavers. Most regular pictures just aren't going to look good with four-level grayscale.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think the pictures they use have probably been optimized for the Kindle. That's probably why the picture viewer is disabled and they won't let you load your own screensavers. Most regular pictures just aren't going to look good with four-level grayscale.
I think the reverse is true, I think mobi optimizes them for the old tiny low-res screens and doesn't take advantage of the higher screen quality we have with a dedicated reader.

I think they can look pretty decent in four-level. The screensaver quality is the quality of pics that I get on my Sony PRS-500 and on that it was only four-level gray. (I think the 505 went up to 8 levels)

But based on this screen res and four-levels of gray, the pictures should be able to be very decent. I was pretty impressed at how they looked on the 500. I think the screensaver pics just take advantage of the full res of the screen, mobi-pics (azw pics) doesn't do that because it's using an older method of rendering the images.

As an example, I looked at my book cover for Prester John and compared it on both screens. Looks great on my Sony prs-500, looks totally suckalicious on my Kindle. Text on the other hand looks the same quality on both.

But again, I realize that this device is made for reading on, but I still like to have a nice high-quality cover to look at.

I'd be really interested if HarryT or somebody with a cybook/illiad and a Sony Reader could compare and see if there is a difference in the book cover quality.

Last edited by tsgreer; 12-21-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try the picture viewer I found. It seems to have decent quality.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
tsgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Try the picture viewer I found. It seems to have decent quality.
Yeah, I think my theory was correct. Because using Kindle's picture viewer (no idea how you figured that out, but you are THE man!), my pics came out WAY better than the conversion method. The picture viewer just reads the straight .jpgs and the quality is pretty decent.

Still not the quality of my sony prs-500, but lightyears ahead of converting the pics to .azw or .prc format. Thanks for the tip, you really are amazing!

I also noticed that the pics go right to the edge of Kindle's display screen, so no white edge at all. I didn't know one could make full use of the entire screen. That rocks!

Last edited by tsgreer; 12-21-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Guess it has something to do with dithering. There's some sort of post-processing when you open images in the image viewer, that you don't get inside a book.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Yeah, I think my theory was correct. Because using Kindle's picture viewer (no idea how you figured that out, but you are THE man!), my pics came out WAY better than the conversion method. The picture viewer just reads the straight .jpgs and the quality is pretty decent.
What is the size (file size) of the original images? It is relatively easy to unpack the awz-file and see what they have done with the images. If you send me the file I can try to do that (and it would be nice to have some awz files as test cases for Mobiperl...). I assume that it is not DRM:ed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote