Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #151
heatherine
heatherine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPod Touch, Samsung Epic 4G
Thanks so much. I will send the email and give the Mobile Read a try. I just had been using the feedbooks for a while and really liked it.
heatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #152
scop
scop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3
I have had similar problems trying to download the guide in the last few days. No matter what I try it doesn't work. I sent a query to the support email but the reply was generic and indicated they had not checked it to see if there was a problem at their end.

When I download it directly, or sideload it via USB, I get:

"The selected item could not be opened, If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from Archived items"

If I try to import it into Calibre I get:

ERROR: Could not open ebook: string index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 62, in run
File "threading.py", line 483, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator.py", line 195, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 204, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\input.py", line 27, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 303, in extract_content
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 766, in extract_text
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 761, in text_section
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 756, in sizeof_trailing_entries
IndexError: string index out of range

My new device is the International Kindle 3, fw 3.0.2

The file size downloads as 44KB, which seems too small. However I can't download it via a download manager because the url is not a direct one, there seems to be some url rewriting going on and I can't work out the direct link.

If anyone else could upload the file elsewhere I could try and download it again. TIA.

By the way, this is my first post at Mobileread!

Tim.
scop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #153
scop

FYI, I discussed this issue with Feedbooks and they told me that they have just decided to discontinue the Kindle Download Guide due to the amount of work and difficulty keeping it working. It's no longer available on the website.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #154
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Did they say wether the guides one already has, will continue to be working?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #155
scop

I didn't ask them that question specifically, but I think it will continue to work. They sent me the last version and it still works.

The kindle guide just links to the online catalogue so as long as they don't change the web page addresses it should continue to work.

Obviously as they don't produce the guide any longer they wouldn't provide any guarantees though.

Last edited by scop; 01-28-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #156
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by scop View Post
I didn't ask them that question specifically, but I think it will continue to work. They sent me the last version and it still works.

The kindle guide just links to the online catalogue so as long as they don't change the web page addresses it should continue to work.

Obviously as they don't produce the guide any longer they wouldn't provide any guarantees though.
thanks; yes, it is a pity.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #157
scop

I notice also that the RSS service mentioned at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92311 is no longer offered by Feedbooks. That thread needs to be updated. I still think Feedbooks is a great site though, they offer a very professional service and a great catalogue.