Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Kindle 3 a year old yesterday

I knew my Kindle 3's first birthday was coming up soon but I hadn't realized it was already here. It doesn't seem like it's been that long ago that I bought it but I purchased it a year ago yesterday (March 11th 2011). Now and then it stops and reboots when I am trying to read on it but that only happens very rarely and all electronics have some quirks that pop up now and then I think. Has anyone else here noticed that happening on occasion? Generally I'm still very pleased with the unit though I do intend to add on a Kindle Fire in the near future if possible.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes my kindle 3 3G does that. I had one for 7 months that started doing it every day (or more) so they replaced it with an identical model. It still does it, though not nearly as often. My k3 wifi very seldom does a spontaneous reboot.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My Kindle keyboard is about 9 months old and I haven't noticed the problem you are describing crich70.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
K3 wifi never has done that and I read on it many hours each night. It was a year old last September.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Hmm. Well I guess it's just a random quirk that some have and some don't. Mine is a K3 wifi. There isn't 3G coverage where I am (or at least there wasn't when I bought it) and of course I also didn't want to pay more $ than needed either so I got the wifi model. Anyway it doesn't do it every day or so(at least not yet) so I'll stick with this one for now. Anyway if it should break down that badly it will probably be after any warranty is expired anyway with my luck. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Mine's a year old Kindle keyboard wifi and I had some issues occasionally with it freezing when there were 600+ books on it. I factory reset it and only loaded 200 or so and haven't seen a freeze up since.

I haven't liked any of the new Kindle models, and your thread reminded me that mine isn't new any more, so an hour ago I asked my husband who happens to be at a US airport to buy me another KK.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
My KK3wifi also was freezing and being very slow. I don't know how many books I had on it. Could have been over a thousand. I now have about 300 on it and it runs fine. My 3G has less than 600 on it, and that seems to be the limit. Disappointing. I'll be getting a Sony T1 this week. I want the SD card slot.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
My k3 does seem to freeze more often than it used to, requiring a 15sec hold reset. Usually this happens when I turn it on off too quickly, or hit a button too quickly after turning it on.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Mine's a year old Kindle keyboard wifi and I had some issues occasionally with it freezing when there were 600+ books on it. I factory reset it and only loaded 200 or so and haven't seen a freeze up since.

I also had the same problem, and it went away when I did the same thing you did - factory reset and loaded fewer books.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
This has happened to each of my Kindles at one time or another.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I knew my Kindle 3's first birthday was coming up soon but I hadn't realized it was already here. It doesn't seem like it's been that long ago that I bought it but I purchased it a year ago yesterday (March 11th 2011). Now and then it stops and reboots when I am trying to read on it but that only happens very rarely and all electronics have some quirks that pop up now and then I think. Has anyone else here noticed that happening on occasion? Generally I'm still very pleased with the unit though I do intend to add on a Kindle Fire in the near future if possible.
My K3 is going to be 1 year old the first week of April (I replaced a Kindle 2 with it). I've never had any problems with it and read from it an average of 8 hours a day.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I had this happen just today. I was reading while eating, and it just...rebooted out of the blue. I didn't really think anything of it since it was the first time (that I can recall) it's happened.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Mine used to have a reboot problem due to the original non-lighted cover issue, but since I got rid of that mine hasn't had a problem.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Mine's a little older than yours and recently I went to turn it on and found instead of the screensaver, strange horizontal lines streaking across the entire screen. Not knowing what else to do, I held the on button for many minutes and finally the Kindle rebooted and all was well. But since then I've had a couple of freezes, once while I was in the middle of a book, and once when I was on the home screen.

Fearing intimations of mortality, I bought my Touch, which I like very much except I wish it had page turn buttons.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #15
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Mine is also over a year old, and apart from sometimes freezing when charging my only gripe is the battery is definitely losing its capacity to hold a charge.

Still love it and would still go K3 over Touch or Fire any day
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote