Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #16
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Weird, I have no problems at all reading books on my iPad. In fact, I love it.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #17
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
I think it's likely those people are just more prone to distractions. Anyone who wants to read, and do little else but read will buy an ereader because it doesn't need a backlight. Anyone who buys a tablet almost certainly won't be buying it primarily for reading, and therefore will be more likely to respond to the distractions.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I just don't get it. If you can't focus, the problem is not your tablet.
Bingo! Don't blame your short attention span on the tablet, that's all on you.
cfrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Yep, half a dozen pop ups that all need to be closed informing you about incoming new emails, an SMS, a face book notification, the latest cricket score and putting the rubbish out, can really make you focus.....not

Sorry, when I read an ebook I use a device that lets me read without pop ups. I do not see a dead tree book popping up an alert that the book spine is coming apart or not to dog ear the page. USE a bookmark!...
I've got a tablet. And I don't get popups for new emails, sms, facebook, twitter, etc. Those can be turned off...

But lately I'm more distracted by the inside of my eyelids than the inside of my tablet...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #20
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
I think it's likely those people are just more prone to distractions. Anyone who wants to read, and do little else but read will buy an ereader because it doesn't need a backlight. Anyone who buys a tablet almost certainly won't be buying it primarily for reading, and therefore will be more likely to respond to the distractions.
I bought my Samsung Galaxy Pad 10.1 explicitly to read PDFs, after a year of trying and failing to get a worthwhile PDF reading experience on my Kindle 3. So far--about a month in--I've not set up an email account on it. I've settled on Aldiko for reading PDFs and am loving it.

The most distracting thing on the tablet is Google Sky Map ("Look! I can see the galaxy...on my Galaxy!" )

I agree with the previous poster...if you're distracted while reading, it's you and the environment you've created. To get all literary: Thou rascal beadle, hold thy bloody hand.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #21
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
This is why I haven't rooted my Nook Touch.

I do not have a tablet and do not need one. But now that I no longer have a smartphone I wouldn't mind having a device where I can check my email, google maps and subway info while I'm out and about/traveling. And I would be able to do those things with a rooted Nook. But I'm wary with messing with my perfect and pure reading device...
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
If you're distracted while reading, it's you and the environment you've created.
100% True. Mark these golden words.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
One of the reasons I really love my Kindle is that it does one thing only. I've tried the browser and it is so bad that I am pretty much never tempted to use it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Yeah, reading on my ipad2 is more distracting than my nook touch. One of the reasons why I am reading a bit more now and much happier reading since I got my NT. The iPad2 was/is okay, but the backlight/LCD tends to give me eye strain after about an hour or so of reading, especially in dim light, which I don't get from the nook touch and especially if I have an internet connection up where I am reading, it is too tempting to check my email or the news or whatnot every once in awhile.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
One of the reasons I really love my Kindle is that it does one thing only. I've tried the browser and it is so bad that I am pretty much never tempted to use it.
I do wish that the nook touch had an email client you could use over wifi. I don't need, need, need to check email on it in general, but it would be nice for those times I am going away somewhere for a few days or a week and don't want to bother bring my ipad2, to still be able to access and send emails in some limited capacity.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #26
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I disagree somewhat about it being the reader's fault they are distracted.

I'm a very focused reader - to the point where I tune everything out. I can do this with a DTB and with my Kobo.

But when I'm out waiting in line or something and I pull up a book on my iPhone...I am constantly barraged by notifications. And even if I (try to) ignore them - they are still a distraction. Here's a text message, an email, etc. Shoot! My Kobo app even pops up notifications! (You're reading a new book! Touch here to view Kobo Pulse!)

I ended up turning off the Pulse (which Kobo turns right back on every time I have to update the app), removing the email notifications and disabling all the push notifications from my other apps, etc. (I still get the texts) But it is still rather distracting. I can only imagine it gets worse with a tablet.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
The thing I most love about my Kindle Fire is that it's a multifunction device, and therefore I have fewer things to schlep around with me all day. But when I want to read, I read. If I was too distracted by other stuff, I'd shut off the wifi, but that hasn't been an issue.

Don't blame your device for your own short attention span.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I ended up turning off the Pulse (which Kobo turns right back on every time I have to update the app), removing the email notifications and disabling all the push notifications from my other apps, etc. (I still get the texts) But it is still rather distracting. I can only imagine it gets worse with a tablet.
It is better with a tablet because you don't get phone calls and texts, so once you've disabled notifications there is nothing left to pop up.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ease of dictionary look-up is an advantage. I use Sony's double-tap method regularly and its break in my reading is far less than using a printed dictionary.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #30
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Ease of dictionary look-up is an advantage. I use Sony's double-tap method regularly and its break in my reading is far less than using a printed dictionary.
Likewise - I can't read without having the dictionary look-up. I don't see this as an interruption to my reading, but an enhancement.

Plus I read a lot of historical "classic" literature so that my reading on a dedicated ereader is often interrupted by my having to stop & look up something on Wikipedia or Google - Victorian British slang, a painting mentioned in conversation, older geographical names, etc. The Kindle Fire is small enough that I keep it with me even if I am reading on my Kindle3 - so I can rapidly look up references - in color! Without having to leave the page I'm reading!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote