Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
ronaka
ronaka is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Touch
Does this Kobo Touch have Problems or is it just the User?

Bought my wife a Kobo Touch for Christmas. Went through the setup yesterday, and really don't know much about it. There seems to be a few issues and I wonder if I should be returning it, or is it just the user?

1. It connected to our home wireless and displayed "Success" but later lost it. I redid the setup. Today it seems to be still there. Somewhere along the line it seemed to lose the hard wire connection to the computer. The console software device tab grayed out and could not be opened even though the device showed it was connected and charging.

2. I set a few options to extend battery life. Worked OK yesterday and we managed to download a book to the device using the device and the wireless. Still don't understand how to do it with the computer console. My wife turned it right off last night rather than put it in sleep mode. Today it said it needed to be set up again. Plugged it into the computer today and it connected, device tab in console became live. It showed the device was setup already and had the latest software. Ejected device and it basically now works without having to go through setup again. However, the custom font my wife set was gone. Also the changes I made to save battery were gone.

3. When connected to the computer the sync icon rotates and never seems to stop until you Eject it?

Is this a sick puppy that needs to be returned, or are we doing something wrong?

Last edited by ronaka; 12-26-2011 at 01:12 PM.
ronaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
1. The WiFi connection will turn off after a minute or so to save battery so I'm not sure what you mean? And even once the reader is ejected from the computer it will stay on the "Connected And Charging" screen until you unplug it.

2. What do you mean by OK? slow page turns, bugs?

3. It should only sync long enough to download your books and put them onto your reader.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
ronaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
1. The WiFi connection will turn off after a minute or so to save battery so I'm not sure what you mean? And even once the reader is ejected from the computer it will stay on the "Connected And Charging" screen until you unplug it.

2. What do you mean by OK? slow page turns, bugs?

3. It should only sync long enough to download your books and put them onto your reader.
1. The first time it just did not save it as a known network. Now it seems to have been saved. Perhaps we interrupted it before it was fully set up. However, it was able to connect to the bookstore.

2. Page turns are fine. It just seemed to go through a brain fart where it lost custom settings. First time powered off today it tried to go through setup again. My wife just pushed the skip setup and it then seemed happy.

3. I connected it again to the computer today and left it a long time. The sync seemed to complete. After that I powered it down, and it did not try to force another set up. Perhaps something was just not complete about it. Thinking (hoping) this may have been the source of all the problems?
Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Have a good time reading.

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-30-2011 at 12:43 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
ronaka

Thanks for the responses. All seems to be ok now.
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Woody57
Woody57 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaka View Post
Bought my wife a Kobo Touch for Christmas. Went through the setup yesterday, and really don't know much about it. There seems to be a few issues and I wonder if I should be returning it, or is it just the user?

1. It connected to our home wireless and displayed "Success" but later lost it. I redid the setup. Today it seems to be still there. Somewhere along the line it seemed to lose the hard wire connection to the computer. The console software device tab grayed out and could not be opened even though the device showed it was connected and charging.

2. I set a few options to extend battery life. Worked OK yesterday and we managed to download a book to the device using the device and the wireless. Still don't understand how to do it with the computer console. My wife turned it right off last night rather than put it in sleep mode. Today it said it needed to be set up again. Plugged it into the computer today and it connected, device tab in console became live. It showed the device was setup already and had the latest software. Ejected device and it basically now works without having to go through setup again. However, the custom font my wife set was gone. Also the changes I made to save battery were gone.

3. When connected to the computer the sync icon rotates and never seems to stop until you Eject it?

Is this a sick puppy that needs to be returned, or are we doing something wrong?
I have been trolling forums to try and find someone who has the same problem as me, the post above does.

Have had the Kobo about 10 days via WH Smith online, sometimes (1 in 8) you switch on the Kobo Touch, and it shows the WELCOME screen again, you can usually get out of it by skipping or plugging in again to the PC, plus you lose all your settings. I telephoned the free helpline, they told me to do a factory rest, remove the PC software and download it again from a link they gave me via email. I did all this but to no avail, still the same. I telephoned again and asked if I could take it to my local WH Smith and change it for a new one, which is what I did. The problem still persists?
Regards
Woody57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Woody57

Apolgies to all concerned, but is no one else having a similar problem to me above, and the original poster???
Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #8
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

I bought one from WHSmiths and it had the welcome screen quite a lot after switching off (and so was losing the setting changes I had made). Within a couple of weeks I had to take it back and get a new one as it wouldn't charge - probably a problem with the usb connector.

When I got the new one, I made sure I set-up and charged it fully before using it (which I didn't do with the first one). I've never had the welcome screen problem since.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are three different ways to "power off/on".

Hold the button
1. short - go to/awake from sleep
2. a bit longer (until the display goes blank) - power off/on
3. long - you get the welcome screen again

I can't say for sure how long it has to be or if maybe the LED will flash in a certain color. Never had the problem myself, just read about it in a forum and reproduced the behavior once out of curiosity.

I can't recall if it was the powering on or powering off that triggered the home screen... haven't tried it again and don't really feel like doing it. (Never power my Kobo off anyway...)
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
ronaka

My wife says she has not had a repeat of the Welcome screen and loss of setting again. It does however occasionally lock up and refuse to turn pages. You have to turn it off and back on again to get it working properly again.

It's like the Microsoft Engineer's method of fixing a car. Have everyone get out, shut all the doors and lock it. Then unlock and have everyone get back in again. Should start now!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
Woody57

Question Problem solved? We will see.

Thanks for the replies people.

I am now in the process of exchanging it for another new one, as the same problem persists. Hopefully next week all being well.

Regards
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Make sure you don't hold the power button too long or you will always get the setup screen egain.

You can try yourself that this actually works that way - hold the power button for about 10 seconds. That should trigger the setup screen.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Woody57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody57 View Post
Thanks for the replies people.

I am now in the process of exchanging it for another new one, as the same problem persists. Hopefully next week all being well.

Regards
Second replacement Kobo Touch seems to be working OK, so far so good.

Regards