Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Smile What are the length and the width of a 6 inches screen and a 5 inches screen ?

What are the length and the width of a 6 inches screen and 5 a inches screen ?
i want to draw them on a paper and compare their real size.
thanks a lot
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From E-book Reader Matrix:
Quote:
(76 × 102mm) 5" 600 × 800 pixels, 200 ppi
(90 × 120mm) 6" 600 × 800 pixels, 167 ppi
the 5" is an easy to remember 3" by 4", the 6" is 3.54" by 4.72".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
From E-book Reader Matrix: the 5" is an easy to remember 3" by 4", the 6" is 3.54" by 4.72".
Thank you
I have drawn the two rectangles based on your answer.
the 5" surface looks really tiny
Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
the 5" is an easy to remember 3" by 4",
Pythagoras would be proud of you

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
merrygoblin
merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-650, HTC Desire
Before buying my reader, I loaded up an ebook in Calibre, and adjusted the reading window size to model the 5" and 6" screens. That extra inch doesn't sound like a lot, but it really showed me how much more screen space that inch gives you, and how many more words will fit as a result.

In terms of area, it works out as 12 square inches for the 5", and 16.7 square inches for the 6", making it 39% bigger in area. Having already decided on a Sony, I opted for the PRS-650 over the 350, as a result.
merrygoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrygoblin View Post
Before buying my reader, I loaded up an ebook in Calibre, and adjusted the reading window size to model the 5" and 6" screens. That extra inch doesn't sound like a lot, but it really showed me how much more screen space that inch gives you, and how many more words will fit as a result.

In terms of area, it works out as 12 square inches for the 5", and 16.7 square inches for the 6", making it 39% bigger in area. Having already decided on a Sony, I opted for the PRS-650 over the 350, as a result.
Where can I find calibre in order to do the same experience as yours?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
merrygoblin
merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.

Calibre can be found at
http://calibre-ebook.com/
I used the Calibre Quick Start Guide that comes included as a sample book, but any ebook that you have on your machine would probably work just as well.

I took screenshots of the results so I could compare them next to each other. I'll try to attach them to this post (fingers crossed it works).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5inch_screen_size.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	62171   Click image for larger version

Name:	6inch_screen_size.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	62172  
Old 12-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Calibre can be found at
http://calibre-ebook.com/
I used the Calibre Quick Start Guide that comes included as a sample book, but any ebook that you have on your machine would probably work just as well.

I took screenshots of the results so I could compare them next to each other. I'll try to attach them to this post (fingers crossed it works).
that would be nicer if you putt to two screen shots in the same image file. now they are separate, it is hard to compare their size, since each one is opened in separate file.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
merrygoblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
that would be nicer if you putt to two screen shots in the same image file. now they are separate, it is hard to compare their size, since each one is opened in separate file.
Here's are a couple of my manipulated images, if it helps. One with the 5" image overlaid over the 6" one, and another with them side by side (just the text, minus any window trimmings).

I should add this isn't neccesarily how they'd appear on any given ereader, by the way - best looking at the physical device in a shop for that - I did it more as an exercise to get a feel for how the screen size affected the amount of text that would fit for a given fixed font size. Before I bought mine, I also looked at the physical device and had a play with one in the local Sony Centre.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_size_compare2.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	62173   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_size_compare3.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	62174  
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
In my research of handheld cctv video magnifiers I did examples of their screen sizes, using 4:3 aspect ratio

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...pzNDlnaA&hl=en
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Here's are a couple of my manipulated images, if it helps. One with the 5" image overlaid over the 6" one, and another with them side by side (just the text, minus any window trimmings).

I should add this isn't neccesarily how they'd appear on any given ereader, by the way - best looking at the physical device in a shop for that - I did it more as an exercise to get a feel for how the screen size affected the amount of text that would fit for a given fixed font size. Before I bought mine, I also looked at the physical device and had a play with one in the local Sony Centre.
Wow what a huge difference in size
I hope you didn't shrink* the 5" intentionally in order to exaggerate the difference in size between the two screens
Just kidding
Look at this Chinese store, their 5" eReader is really bigger in comparison to the Chinese hand that is holding it.

http://www.sinadeal.com/item/New-5-0...B-1599-124626/
Old 12-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
In updating my page I found a great online tool that will let you create side by side monitor comparisons you can adjust the aspect ratio of each to compare a regular vs widescreen

http://tvcalculator.com/

If I was able to add the screen shot I compared

5 inch vs 6 inch vs 9.7 inch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e5vs6vs9.png
Views:	829
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	62176  
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomereader View Post
In updating my page I found a great online tool that will let you create side by side monitor comparisons you can adjust the aspect ratio of each to compare a regular vs widescreen

http://tvcalculator.com/

If I was able to add the screen shot I compared

5 inch vs 6 inch vs 9.7 inch
Smart approach really
Old 12-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:

My only problem with doing that is the PPI issue. Although you could stack the fonts the same, is the quality at that size going to be acceptable. I found the kindle's first 4 font sizes unacceptable due to the low PPI. The PRS350 meanwhile loses a few square inches but can render smaller font sizes much better for me. It would be nice if all ereaders were at least 200 ppi.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote