Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Which 5-inch reader for ordinary reading?

Hiho,

Please forgive me if this has already been asked/answered recently (I have searched extensively but have not found an answer) but: which 5-inch reader would people suggest for "normal" reading?

As some background, I have a well-used 505 which is nice but I want a 5-inch reader that I can put in my pocket and will be used for reading text books, not newspapers, manga, etc. The file format is not much of an issue, so long as PDF works okay and epub,etc is supported, as I mostly read stuff from the library on here.
The PRS300 is out really as it has no SD card slot and I've gone off Sony a bit, otherwise the only suitable units I can find easily and reasonably cheaply here in the UK are the BeBook mini (which I like) and the Elonex 511EB (which I don't much like). I don't need a touch screen and I don't really want to annotate.

Any ideas and comments would be great!

Regards
Mssr L'Pig

Last edited by WigglePig; 07-02-2010 at 10:42 AM.
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Have a read through the PocketBook sections about the PocketBook 360 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Well, the PB360 looks pretty good but they don't ship to the UK.

/edit: I just spotted that you run an online store...I'll have a read!

Last edited by WigglePig; 07-02-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: D'oh!
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Have a read through the PocketBook sections about the PocketBook 360 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206
The Pocketbook 360, that is the one I would have suggested too
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
...[snip to just quote this bit] ... I want a 5-inch reader that I can put in my pocket and will be used for reading text books, not newspapers, manga, etc. The file format is not much of an issue, so long as PDF works okay and epub,etc is supported, as I mostly read stuff from the library on here
Hi, WigglePig (love the name, BTW! ):

I've got a PB360, which is a 5" device with its own built-in cover. So, it does fit nicely into your pocket. I'll put it in my pocket while I'm trying to finish up chores around the house, but don't want to put the book down (I have a tendency to forget where I've put stuff - and it's so teenie! ).

Also, getting books from the library is a breeze (whether ePub or PDF). Just download using ADE then drag-n-drop to the PB360 (not the SD card, by the way, the actual device). Easy peasy!

As a member of the PB360 "Lovin' It Club," I'm a bit biased, but the PB360 is excellent for "just reading."

Good luck in your search and happy reading.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
You can look at Opus, it works well and they say ePub is nice (I'm faithful to Mobipocket ) I like it more than PB360 (I've tried both of them).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Pocketbook have just dropped the 360 to $199, so this might be a good time to get one.
http://www.pocketbookreader.com/
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Why don't you like the Elonex 511EB? I'm very impressed with mine. Great battery life, great screen, very sturdy, light, excellent ePub support. I thought the keyboard looked odd when I bought it, but I got used to it very quickly. And it's cheap.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Pocketbook have just dropped the 360 to $199, so this might be a good time to get one.
http://www.pocketbookreader.com/
For you Americans, maybe. But:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
Well, the PB360 looks pretty good but they don't ship to the UK.

/edit: I just spotted that you run an online store...I'll have a read!
WigglePig is EU. And:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.pocketbookreader.com/Shipping_FAQs.html
Do we ship to EU?
No. Sorry.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #10
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
http://www.greenreader.co.uk/ sells the PB360 in the UK.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PB 360 is £195 incl shipping in UK from Green Reader.

Elonex 511EB is £129 from Waterstones. I bought mine in store and they also gave me a £10 eBook voucher. Plus, you also get a rebate to your Waterstones card if you have one. That was about another £4 back.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 07-03-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure why pocketbookreader are claiming not to ship to the EU. It's where I bought my PB360 from!

I'd agree with the recommendation for the 360; I think it's the best 5" reader on the market at present.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #13
ninpuukamui
ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Opus
For all of you that like the 360 best, could you please let me know why you like it better than the Opus?

For what I can gather, these are the pros for the 360:
  • Highly customizable
  • Clip on cover
  • More RAM
  • More formats, according to the official specs.

Cons:
  • Slightly bigger
  • Maybe TOO customizable, i.e. too complicated
  • Many reported crashes

If there is anyone that prefers the Opus, it would also be great to know why

Thank you very much for your answers.
ninpuukamui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:44 AM   #14
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Device: none

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-15-2010 at 09:23 AM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #15
Graham
Wizard

But the thing to consider is whether it's worth paying the extra £66 for the PB360 over the Elonex, essentially just for a clip-on cover.

Graham