Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Sharing books between 2 Readers -- Possible?

If I buy a Kobo for my wife can we share our combined collections between the two readers? (I can download to any device from my Kobo library right?)

We would each have our own Kobo bookstore account ...

The reason I'm asking, I'm thinking when the black unit ships I'll give her my white one ... but I've already got books on it which I would want on my new Kobo reader

Last edited by bamelin; 05-05-2010 at 08:37 AM.
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It is not a problem for books without DRM. With DRM you would need to activate the ADE with the same account/ID. If you share the same PC this wouldn't be an issue since you would already be using the same ID with ADE. (ADE = Adobe Digital Editions)

Note that I don't have my Kobo reader yet but I know how ADE works. If you've already activated ADE on separate PCs with different IDs then you would most likely need to uninstall one copy of ADE on one PC and reinstall it and activate it with the same ID as the other PC. Most likely you would need to log into each other's account at Kobo to download the books from the other person's account.

I'm not going to even attempt to comment on the legality of doing this because most of the fine print on ebooks will tell you that one ebook per person and you can't share. My view is that sharing within your household is okay from a moral standpoint.

HTH
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
bamelin
Enthusiast

Can't I just upload the books from my library on the Kobobooks store software onto my wife's reader?

I'm new to ereading so right now the only ebooks I own are those purchased from kobobooks
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
Can't I just upload the books from my library on the Kobobooks store software onto my wife's reader?
Like TallMom states; you can do this as long as both of the reading devices are setup and authorised for the same account. If you have an account and your wife has a different account then you can't share the books between the two readers.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
bamelin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
Like TallMom states; you can do this as long as both of the reading devices are setup and authorised for the same account. If you have an account and your wife has a different account then you can't share the books between the two readers.
Ah I see so when we buy the second reader just make sure we buy the books under my name and account (and my credit card *grumble*). Gotcha.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
Ah I see so when we buy the second reader just make sure we buy the books under my name and account (and my credit card *grumble*). Gotcha.
The AdobeID that you use to authorize Digital Editions with and by extension your Kobo reader is what controls your ability to share between you and your wife, and it is independent of your Kobo account. So you can have 2 (or 6) Kobo accounts, but as long as you and your wife both share the same AdobeID, you will be able to share books you buy from Kobo without any real hassle.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
bamelin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
The AdobeID that you use to authorize Digital Editions with and by extension your Kobo reader is what controls your ability to share between you and your wife, and it is independent of your Kobo account. So you can have 2 (or 6) Kobo accounts, but as long as you and your wife both share the same AdobeID, you will be able to share books you buy from Kobo without any real hassle.
So would I have to install the books using Adobe instead of the included Kobo software?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Well I know this (multiple Kobo accounts, single AdobeID) will work if you are using ADE to download books from Kobo and load them on your readers. I haven't seen the Kobo desktop software yet, so I'm not sure if that will work.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
bamelin
Enthusiast

I called support and they said it should be no problem having seperate Kobo accounts (at the bookstore) and downloading onto both readers since I would have both accounts login info.

Still I'll probaly simplify my life and just run everything under one account we both use. A shame we can't save more than one credit card under the account.