Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Can one present a book to a publisher before its finished?

Yeah .. the subject says it all.

Can one present a book to a publisher before said book is finished? Or would it be much better to finish the book before?

It's just that said book would oh-so-well fit into a current hype (actually .. it's contradicting said hype) and I really need an excuse to spend my time finishing it ..
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
If it's non-fiction, yes, you can sell the book on a proposal. If it's a novel, no, you must finish the work.

Remember that it takes a very long time for books to make it to press, though, and anything that's hot now will likely have died down anyway.
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
tirsales
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post
If it's non-fiction, yes, you can sell the book on a proposal. If it's a novel, no, you must finish the work.
I feared as much .. oh well, can't complain, I can understand the need for it.

Quote:
Remember that it takes a very long time for books to make it to press, though, and anything that's hot now will likely have died down anyway.
Actually thats one of the reasons why I even thought about handing in an unfinished novel :-) (And then its more of a Anta- then a Protagonist with respect to the trend)
Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
DaringNovelist is quite right, but like anything there are always exceptions to the rules. Your writing would have to be extraordinary, though.
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Yeah .. the subject says it all.

Can one present a book to a publisher before said book is finished? Or would it be much better to finish the book before?

It's just that said book would oh-so-well fit into a current hype (actually .. it's contradicting said hype) and I really need an excuse to spend my time finishing it ..
It depends upon the author.

Established authors routinely sell books based on an outline and sample chapters. They complete the book and turn in a finished manuscript if they get a contract and advance from the publisher.

New authors almost always sell a book based on a complete manuscript. A publisher is less likely to buy based on a proposal because they have no proof the author can complete the book.

If you know a publisher you think might be interested, you can query them as to whether such a work would be of interest, but unless you are an established author with a track record, I wouldn't expect more than "No, it's not something we'd be interested in" or "It's the sort of thing we do. Send along the manuscript when you've finished it and we'll have a look."
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
tirsales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I wouldn't expect more than "No, it's not something we'd be interested in" or "It's the sort of thing we do. Send along the manuscript when you've finished it and we'll have a look."
Well, that would be pretty much all I would expect anyway

Thanks for the replies